    DVD? Obviously I am new to dubbing DVDs and am pretty clueless, so much so
    that I don't know where to turn other than to you folks in this group. I
    am depending on your helpfulness. Many thanks.

    Norman Swartz, Jul 4, 2006

  2. Norman Swartz

    Tonester Guest

    "Norman Swartz" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns97F69AB93E64Eswartzsfuca@64.59.144.76...
    >I have used a Pioneer dual-purpose machine - DVD Recorder and VCR - model
    > DVR-RT501-S, to dub several short VHS films onto a DVD. The disk plays
    > back just fine in the Pioneer machine, but I want to edit the single long
    > sequence of films into separate, indexed sections, to remove commercials,
    > etc. But when I put the DVD in the LG DVD drive in my computer to copy it
    > onto the hard drive, Windows XP Pro, SP2, spins the disk for a long time
    > and then finally reports it as being totally blank?!?! Obviously the DVD
    > is not blank since it plays back perfectly in the machine in which it was
    > created.
    >
    > Help! Please! How do I proceed? Do I need special software to read such
    > DVD? Obviously I am new to dubbing DVDs and am pretty clueless, so much
    > so
    > that I don't know where to turn other than to you folks in this group. I
    > am depending on your helpfulness. Many thanks.

    You can't edit video once it's burned to a DVD. You probably should have
    bought a DVD burner for your computer and a video capture card instead.

    Tonester, Jul 4, 2006

  3. > I have used a Pioneer dual-purpose machine - DVD Recorder and VCR - model
    > DVR-RT501-S, to dub several short VHS films onto a DVD. The disk plays
    > back just fine in the Pioneer machine, but I want to edit the single long
    > sequence of films into separate, indexed sections, to remove commercials,
    > etc. But when I put the DVD in the LG DVD drive in my computer to copy it
    > onto the hard drive, Windows XP Pro, SP2, spins the disk for a long time
    > and then finally reports it as being totally blank?!?! Obviously the DVD
    > is not blank since it plays back perfectly in the machine in which it was
    > created.
    >
    > Help! Please! How do I proceed? Do I need special software to read such a
    > DVD? Obviously I am new to dubbing DVDs and am pretty clueless, so much so
    > that I don't know where to turn other than to you folks in this group. I
    > am depending on your helpfulness. Many thanks.

    Sounds like you didn't finalize the disc. Once that's
    done it will be readable in probably every other console
    player and pc drive.

    drc :)

    Darrel Christenson, Jul 4, 2006
  4. "Tonester" <> wrote in

    >>... when I put the DVD in the LG DVD drive
    >> in my computer to copy it onto the hard drive, Windows XP Pro, SP2,
    >> spins the disk for a long time and then finally reports it as being
    >> totally blank?!?! Obviously the DVD is not blank since it plays back
    >> perfectly in the machine in which it was created.
    >>
    >> Help! Please! How do I proceed? Do I need special software to read
    >> such a
    >> DVD? Obviously I am new to dubbing DVDs and am pretty clueless, so
    >> much so
    >> that I don't know where to turn other than to you folks in this
    >> group. I am depending on your helpfulness. Many thanks.

    > You can't edit video once it's burned to a DVD. You probably should
    > have bought a DVD burner for your computer and a video capture card
    > instead.

    That much I do know, but you'll notice that I said that I was trying to
    copy the DVD onto my hard drive. My intention was to edit the sequence
    in my computer and then to burn another DVD. As a matter of fact, I do
    have a capture card and a DVD burner, but I abandoned using the video
    capture card -- it's just too much hassle: far too many options for
    settings that are not explained.

    Norman Swartz, Jul 5, 2006
  5. Norman Swartz

    GMAN Guest

    In article <Xns97F69AB93E64Eswartzsfuca@64.59.144.76>, Norman Swartz <> wrote:
    >I have used a Pioneer dual-purpose machine - DVD Recorder and VCR - model
    >DVR-RT501-S, to dub several short VHS films onto a DVD. The disk plays
    >back just fine in the Pioneer machine, but I want to edit the single long
    >sequence of films into separate, indexed sections, to remove commercials,
    >etc. But when I put the DVD in the LG DVD drive in my computer to copy it
    >onto the hard drive, Windows XP Pro, SP2, spins the disk for a long time
    >and then finally reports it as being totally blank?!?! Obviously the DVD
    >is not blank since it plays back perfectly in the machine in which it was
    >created.
    >
    >Help! Please! How do I proceed? Do I need special software to read such a
    >DVD? Obviously I am new to dubbing DVDs and am pretty clueless, so much so
    >that I don't know where to turn other than to you folks in this group. I
    >am depending on your helpfulness. Many thanks.

    Before you can read the disk in a computer, you must go into the menu on your
    DVD/VCR recorder and "Finalize" the disk. Then you can play this disk in most
    any computer or standalone dvd player.

    Obviously once you do this you can not modify or add or do anything to the
    disk that is finalized, but you can copy it to the pc and edit it and reburn
    using a computer DVD burner. This is why most of us use DVD rewriteables to
    record the shows , then copy them to PC for editing using womble, or videoredo
    , and then burn the edited video to a disk using a computer burner.

    GMAN, Jul 5, 2006