Windows Remote Call Procedure

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MaryL, Jan 3, 2004.

  1. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    I gave my older IBM laptop to a friend (model 1412i, purchased in 1999). At
    the time, it was configured with Win 98 and the HD had been partitioned by
    IBM with Drives C and D. I had never had any problems with it. My friend
    bought Win XP (I don't know if it's Home Edition or Pro -- she lives in
    another state, and I failed to ask). She also upgraded the SDRAM. She
    reformatted, used Partition Magic to partition the HD, and installed XP.
    Soon, she began to have problems accompanied by an error message about
    Windows Remote Call Procedure. Problems escalated, so she started all over
    again -- backed up her data files, used Partition Magic, and installed XP.
    The problems with "Windows remote call procedure" started again within just
    a couple of days.

    I did a search for RCP and found numerous references. However, after
    *trying* to read a few of the references, I realized that the information
    provided is too technical for me -- and she is a true newbie, so it would be
    even worse for her. Can anyone help, first by explaining (in plain English)
    what the problem is, and second by directing us on how to solve the problem
    and prevent it from reoccurring? I will try to help her over the telephone
    if I can get a grasp on the problem. I have never encountered it myself.

    Thanks,
    --
    MaryL
    MaryL, Jan 3, 2004

  2. MaryL

    °Mike° Guest

    She needs to patch her system against the Blaster worm.
    Here is my canned response regarding this worm:

    Boot into Safe Mode and start your registry editor:
    Start / Run / regedit

    Navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    +Software
    +Microsoft
    +Windows
    +CurrentVersion
    +Run

    In the right-hand pane, look for any entry/ies that include
    MSBLAST.EXE, PENIS32.EXE or TEEKIDS.EXE and
    DELETE it/them.
    These are the files associated with the different variants:
    Variant A - msblast.exe
    Variant B - penis32.exe
    Variant C - teekids.exe

    You just disabled the worm from running at startup, so boot into
    normal mode again, and turn off ALL system restores to purge
    your system.

    Open Windows Explorer to the ..\Windows\System32\ or
    ...\WinNT\System32\ folder and DELETE *any* of the
    files named above.

    Next, go to the ..\Windows\Prefetch\ or ..\WinNT\Prefetch\
    and find the reference to the above file/s (any reference will
    be similar to: <filename.exe>-<alphanumerics>.PF), for example,
    msblast.exe-0235D8H6.pf, and DELETE it/them.

    Now you can download and install the patch, configure your
    firewall and update your virus scanner.

    Virus Alert About the Blaster Worm and Its Variants

    Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp

    What you should know about the Blaster worm

    Windows RPC DCOM Buffer Overflow Remote Exploit (MS03-026)
    http://www.k-otik.com/exploits/07.25.winrpcdcom.c.php

    How to Use The KB 823980 Scanning Tool to Identify Host Computers
    That Do Not Have The 823980 Security Patch (MS03-026) Installed

    W32.Blaster.Worm
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.html

    W32.Blaster.B.Worm
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.b.worm.html

    W32.Blaster.C.Worm
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.c.worm.html

    W32.Blaster.Worm Removal Tool
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html

    On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 15:03:08 -0600, in
    <>
    MaryL scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jan 3, 2004

  3. Soundslike youve got the "Blaster Worm"

    more info here

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html

    philip hawkins1, Jan 3, 2004
  4. MaryL

    JWooden271 Guest

    After removing the virus, as detailed by previous posts, don't forget to visit
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    to download patch MS03-039 (824146). This will prevent msblaster from coming
    back.
    JWooden271, Jan 4, 2004
  5. MaryL

    Boomer Guest

    (JWooden271) wrote in

    > After removing the virus, as detailed by previous posts, don't
    > forget to visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    > to download patch MS03-039 (824146). This will prevent msblaster
    > from coming back.

    Hi

    Could you please include some of the message you are responding to,
    in your reply?
    (Tools> Options> Send tab, tick the "Include message in Reply" box.)

    It makes it difficult to follow a thread when you write a reply and
    others have no clue on what the question or discussion was about.

    Further info:

    Thank You Very Much :)
    Boomer, Jan 4, 2004
  6. MaryL

    Zermut Guest

    On 04 Jan 2004 01:14:40 GMT, Boomer <>
    picked a plump bugger and in sanskrit smeared the following cryptic
    message:

    > (JWooden271) wrote in
    >
    >> After removing the virus, as detailed by previous posts, don't
    >> forget to visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    >> to download patch MS03-039 (824146). This will prevent msblaster
    >> from coming back.

    >Hi
    >
    >Could you please include some of the message you are responding to,
    >in your reply?
    >(Tools> Options> Send tab, tick the "Include message in Reply" box.)
    >
    >It makes it difficult to follow a thread when you write a reply and
    >others have no clue on what the question or discussion was about.

    Boomer,

    I think this person won't be able to do it because this person uses
    AOHell and AOHell's software is shit. It's newsgroup software can't
    even quote messages and this silly twonk doesn't know that he/she/it
    is broadcasting their email address all over the newsgroup and doesn't
    know that they will get spammed to death due to the spammers who
    target AOHell with bulk email spam.

    I think it is better to killfile this person and do away with it.

    Zermut
    Zermut, Jan 4, 2004
  7. MaryL

    Boomer Guest

    Zermut, <> wrote:

    > On 04 Jan 2004 01:14:40 GMT, Boomer
    > <> picked a plump bugger and in
    > sanskrit smeared the following cryptic message:
    >
    >> (JWooden271) wrote in
    >>
    >>> After removing the virus, as detailed by previous posts, don't
    >>> forget to visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    >>> to download patch MS03-039 (824146). This will prevent
    >>> msblaster from coming back.

    >>Hi
    >>
    >>Could you please include some of the message you are responding
    >>to, in your reply?
    >>(Tools> Options> Send tab, tick the "Include message in Reply"
    >>box.)
    >>
    >>It makes it difficult to follow a thread when you write a reply
    >>and others have no clue on what the question or discussion was
    >>about.

    > Boomer,
    >
    > I think this person won't be able to do it because this person
    > uses AOHell and AOHell's software is shit.

    I noticed the AOL *after* I hit send. My bad!

    > It's newsgroup
    > software can't even quote messages and this silly twonk doesn't
    > know that he/she/it is broadcasting their email address all over
    > the newsgroup and doesn't know that they will get spammed to
    > death due to the spammers who target AOHell with bulk email
    > spam.
    >
    > I think it is better to killfile this person and do away with
    > it.

    Nah. No big crime committed.
    I just hope they learn a thing or two.

    Boomer, Jan 4, 2004
  8. MaryL

    Zermut Guest

    On 04 Jan 2004 06:16:01 GMT, Boomer <>
    picked a plump bugger and in sanskrit smeared the following cryptic
    message:

    >Zermut, <> wrote:
    >

    >> Boomer,
    >>
    >> I think this person won't be able to do it because this person
    >> uses AOHell and AOHell's software is shit.

    >I noticed the AOL *after* I hit send. My bad!

    Better read the headers closely next time when another AOHell user
    comes into the newsgroup.

    >Nah. No big crime committed.
    >I just hope they learn a thing or two.

    I hope so. It seems that they don't even learn anything while on
    AOHell as AOHell keeps them stupid all the time until they realize
    that they are being swindled by the thieves at AOHell with dumbass
    billing methods, force charging of customers' accounts for stuff they
    didn't order and having their account information stolen by hackers,
    and also having their account TOS'sed for things they never do after a
    hacker uses it to cause problems.

    It is a not a pretty picture to find out that their bank accounts were
    cleaned out by the thieves at AOHell.

    Zermut.
    Zermut, Jan 4, 2004
  9. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    > I gave my older IBM laptop to a friend (model 1412i, purchased in 1999).

    At
    > the time, it was configured with Win 98 and the HD had been partitioned by
    > IBM with Drives C and D. I had never had any problems with it. My friend
    > bought Win XP. She also upgraded the SDRAM. She
    > reformatted, used Partition Magic to partition the HD, and installed XP.
    > Soon, she began to have problems accompanied by an error message about
    > Windows Remote Call Procedure.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > --
    > MaryL

    Thanks, Mike and Philip. I gave this information (and links) to my friend.
    Unfortunately, she had already reinstalled XP (it's Home Edition) and spent
    a considerable amount of time reinstalling other programs. Now, she has
    another problem -- none of her USB devices work. It sounds to me like there
    are missing drivers or they are not being recognized. For example, she
    can't use her SanDisk card reader. She tried to use the software that came
    with it, but it says that she doesn't need the drivers on the software.
    Plug 'n play doesn't seem to work. She also has an external CD-ROM burner
    and an HP printer (USB), and none of them work -- but they did before her
    reinstall. Do you have any ideas about this situation? She has already
    searched for blaster, but nothing showed up. So far, the RCP problem has
    not reappeared.

    Thanks for the help!
    MaryL

    Incidentally, I'm puzzled about "Zermut's" reply. It appears in this
    thread, but I don't use AOL (despite his statements).
    MaryL, Jan 4, 2004
  10. MaryL

    Pompey© Guest

    Mary
    She will need to go to the hardware vendors ( HP...Epsom etc) and
    download the latest windows xp drivers for them...
    When your friend had the original RPC problem you installation programme
    i.e. Installshield wouldn't have work properly anyway as I had the same
    problem and probably the same symptoms! Also make sure the AV is up to date.
    hth Daryn

    Pompey©, Jan 4, 2004
  11. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    "Pompey©" <> wrote in message
    > Mary
    > She will need to go to the hardware vendors ( HP...Epsom etc) and
    > download the latest windows xp drivers for them...
    > When your friend had the original RPC problem you installation programme
    > i.e. Installshield wouldn't have work properly anyway as I had the same
    > problem and probably the same symptoms! Also make sure the AV is up to

    date.
    > hth Daryn

    Thanks, Daryn. This still sounds strange to me (but I'm doing all of this
    with her via telephone). She has a new copy of Norton AV, and all 3 of her
    USB peripherals are only a few months old. Norton did not detect any
    problems. The card reader should be plug-n-play, I think -- at least, I
    couldn't find anything to download from the SanDisk site, and her install
    disk specifically said that she didn't need to install drivers for that
    reader. I'll check out the sites for the printer and CD burner, but they
    are so new that I don't see why they wouldn't work now when they worked
    before she did the reinstall (using the same copy of XP-Home Edition as she
    had previously used -- also purchased within the last couple of months).

    MaryL
    MaryL, Jan 4, 2004
  12. MaryL

    Pompey© Guest

    Mary...
    You may need to repair windows using the OS disk..you may have
    installation files missing...ive copied this from
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support

    Howto repair Windows XP

    Insert your Windows XP CD into your CD-ROM drive or DVD-
    ROM drive, and then restart your computer.

    When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is
    displayed on your screen, press a key to start your
    computer from the Windows XP CD.

    When you see the following message displayed on the
    Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER:
    To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

    At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery
    Console is displayed. Do not select this option.

    On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to
    agree to the license agreement.

    Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is
    selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair
    Windows XP.

    Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

    Pompey©, Jan 5, 2004
  13. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    Thanks! I'll call her and try to walk her through this by phone. (She
    can't even print out instructions because she can't get her printer to
    work.)

    MaryL

    MaryL, Jan 5, 2004
  14. MaryL

    °Mike° Guest

    That would be what was meant by:

    "Now you can download and install the patch, configure your
    firewall and update your virus scanner."

    On 04 Jan 2004 01:12:38 GMT, in
    <>
    JWooden271 scrawled:

    --