    done to fix it.

    But i need to get it making the reg backup as it should. Any ideas?

    Using win 98se
    Craig Sutton, Feb 9, 2004

  2. On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 20:31:59 +1300, "Craig Sutton"
    <> wrote:

    >Isn't windows suppose to make a backup copy of the registery?

    Windows 98 by default creates about 5 of them. It stores them in
    \Windows\Sysbckup\

    You can force it to create one by typing "Scanregw" at Start -> Run.
    It'll scan the registry and if it's good will ask if you want to
    create a backup then and there.

    I'm not too sure when it creates the backups - possibly after a
    successful startup and shutdown.? Does your Win98 shut down correctly
    normally or does it hang.

    Just for reference: Windows 95 keeps only one registry backup.
    (SYSTEM.DA0 and USER.DA0 IIRC).

    I'd like to know how many backups Windows XP creates. I've seen a
    machine with a BSOD of REGISTRY_ERROR and the Microsoft article tells
    of how to revert back to the registry created when Windows was first
    installed. Like that helps.

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand
    Kristofer Clayton, Feb 9, 2004

  3. Craig Sutton

    GraB Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Isn't windows suppose to make a backup copy of the registery?
    >
    >I just went through the process of booting up the other day and windows
    >decided the registry was corrupt and the ^%*$%^$ decided it would restore
    >from an older registry backup just as its supposed to... but.. for some
    >unknown reason the backup it found was from 2001.
    >
    >Gee what a load of fun that was lucky i found a somewhat newer backup that
    >Nortons had done in 2002. Not so much reinstalling of software had to be
    >done to fix it.
    >
    >But i need to get it making the reg backup as it should. Any ideas?
    >
    >Using win 98se

    There is heaps on Google about registry backing up, but try this:

    Create a shortcut to scanregw.exe, then go into shortcut properties,
    Target, and add <space>/backup so that you have this line:
    C:\WINDOWS\SCANREGW.EXE /backup
    GraB, Feb 9, 2004
  4. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Kristofer Clayton" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 20:31:59 +1300, "Craig Sutton"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Isn't windows suppose to make a backup copy of the registery?

    > Windows 98 by default creates about 5 of them. It stores them in
    > \Windows\Sysbckup\

    Yeah my win 98se has cab files there with registry backup BUT the problem is
    those reg backups are ancient.

    > You can force it to create one by typing "Scanregw" at Start -> Run.
    > It'll scan the registry and if it's good will ask if you want to
    > create a backup then and there.

    Ok but I thought windows was suppose to make its own backups of the registry
    so it can restore a working one.
    Damn thing had a mind of its own and the only reg backup up was from 2001

    > I'm not too sure when it creates the backups - possibly after a
    > successful startup and shutdown.? Does your Win98 shut down correctly
    > normally or does it hang.

    my windows shuts down fine everytime.

    I think theres some tweak that can be done that creates multiple reg
    backups?
    Craig Sutton, Feb 9, 2004
  5. Craig Sutton

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Isn't windows suppose to make a backup copy of the registery?
    >
    >I just went through the process of booting up the other day and windows
    >decided the registry was corrupt and the ^%*$%^$ decided it would restore
    >from an older registry backup just as its supposed to... but.. for some
    >unknown reason the backup it found was from 2001.
    >
    >Gee what a load of fun that was lucky i found a somewhat newer backup that
    >Nortons had done in 2002. Not so much reinstalling of software had to be
    >done to fix it.
    >
    >But i need to get it making the reg backup as it should. Any ideas?
    >
    >Using win 98se

    restoring the old registry has probably restored the setting, running
    msconfig will tell you. If msconfig doesn't list it then run regedit &
    navigate to;

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    + Software
    + Microsoft
    + Windows
    + CurrentVersion
    + Run

    With the run folder open click Edit - New - String Value. Give it the
    name ScanRegistry. Doubleclick it & type
    C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun in the box. Done.

    There's an easier way but I've forgotten it ;-)

    GT
    Gavin Tunney, Feb 9, 2004
  6. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Gavin Tunney" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 20:31:59 +1300, "Craig Sutton"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Isn't windows suppose to make a backup copy of the registery?
    > >
    > >I just went through the process of booting up the other day and windows
    > >decided the registry was corrupt and the ^%*$%^$ decided it would restore
    > >from an older registry backup just as its supposed to... but.. for some
    > >unknown reason the backup it found was from 2001.
    > >
    > >Gee what a load of fun that was lucky i found a somewhat newer backup

    that
    > >Nortons had done in 2002. Not so much reinstalling of software had to be
    > >done to fix it.
    > >
    > >But i need to get it making the reg backup as it should. Any ideas?
    > >
    > >Using win 98se
    > >

    > restoring the old registry has probably restored the setting, running
    > msconfig will tell you. If msconfig doesn't list it then run regedit &
    > navigate to;
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    > + Software
    > + Microsoft
    > + Windows
    > + CurrentVersion
    > + Run
    >
    > With the run folder open click Edit - New - String Value. Give it the
    > name ScanRegistry. Doubleclick it & type
    > C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun in the box. Done.
    >
    > There's an easier way but I've forgotten it ;-)

    One step ahead done all this already..

    Fixed I hope
    Craig Sutton, Feb 9, 2004
  7. Craig Sutton

    E. Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:
    > Isn't windows suppose to make a backup copy of the registery?
    >
    > I just went through the process of booting up the other day and windows
    > decided the registry was corrupt and the ^%*$%^$ decided it would restore
    > from an older registry backup just as its supposed to... but.. for some
    > unknown reason the backup it found was from 2001.
    >
    > Gee what a load of fun that was lucky i found a somewhat newer backup that
    > Nortons had done in 2002. Not so much reinstalling of software had to be
    > done to fix it.
    >
    > But i need to get it making the reg backup as it should. Any ideas?
    >
    > Using win 98se

    If you are getting the "scanregw has encountered an error and will
    restart windoze" error at startup, there is likely **** all wrong with
    the registry.
    It's a classic symptom of fubar RAM.
    E.
    E., Feb 10, 2004
  8. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "E." <> wrote in message
    > Craig Sutton wrote:
    > > Isn't windows suppose to make a backup copy of the registery?
    > >
    > > I just went through the process of booting up the other day and windows
    > > decided the registry was corrupt and the ^%*$%^$ decided it would

    restore
    > > from an older registry backup just as its supposed to... but.. for some
    > > unknown reason the backup it found was from 2001.
    > >
    > > Gee what a load of fun that was lucky i found a somewhat newer backup

    that
    > > Nortons had done in 2002. Not so much reinstalling of software had to be
    > > done to fix it.
    > >
    > > But i need to get it making the reg backup as it should. Any ideas?
    > >
    > > Using win 98se

    > If you are getting the "scanregw has encountered an error and will
    > restart windoze" error at startup, there is likely **** all wrong with
    > the registry.
    > It's a classic symptom of fubar RAM.

    No i only got it once, it was due to having shut the pc off at the power.

    Not a good idea at all

    Never mind the REG key WAS missing, it should be making backups now.
    Craig Sutton, Feb 10, 2004