    Ubuntu NBR which /more/ than satisfies my needs.

    Does anyone know how I go about getting compensation for the Windows,
    that I will never use?
    Sailor Sam, Aug 24, 2009

  2. In article <>, "geoff" <> wrote:
    >Sailor Sam wrote:
    >> I recently purchased a shiny new Aspire One (which I adore).
    >> Unfortunately it came with the Windows Operating System, loaded but
    >> not installed. I have never completed the installation, nor will I,
    >> I have Ubuntu NBR which /more/ than satisfies my needs.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know how I go about getting compensation for the Windows,
    >> that I will never use?

    >You purchased it. Maybe you should have purchased something else.

    Or to rephrase ... you have more negotiating power *before* you hand over
    money than after. :)
    The best thing would have been to say something like ... " I want this
    computer without windows. What discount will you give me for not having that
    ?".

    Better of course, would have been to give them the specs of the machine you
    wanted and ask for a quote. When they included windows, cross it out and ask
    for another price. :) :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 24, 2009

  3. Sailor Sam

    Sailor Sam Guest

    PeeCee wrote:
    > "Sailor Sam" <> wrote in message
    >> I recently purchased a shiny new Aspire One (which I adore).
    >> Unfortunately it came with the Windows Operating System, loaded but
    >> not installed. I have never completed the installation, nor will I, I
    >> have Ubuntu NBR which /more/ than satisfies my needs.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know how I go about getting compensation for the Windows,
    >> that I will never use?

    > Heaps of options here:
    > http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=windows refund&meta=&aq=f&oq=
    >

    > Best
    > Paul.

    You fail on two counts.
    1) Those results do not pertain directly to New Zealand
    2) I was really asking, perhaps I should have been more clear) if people
    here actually /know/ how to get the compensation.
    Sailor Sam, Aug 24, 2009
  4. Sailor Sam

    Sailor Sam Guest

    geoff wrote:
    > Sailor Sam wrote:
    >> I recently purchased a shiny new Aspire One (which I adore).
    >> Unfortunately it came with the Windows Operating System, loaded but
    >> not installed. I have never completed the installation, nor will I,
    >> I have Ubuntu NBR which /more/ than satisfies my needs.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know how I go about getting compensation for the Windows,
    >> that I will never use?

    > You purchased it. Maybe you should have purchased something else.
    >
    > geoff

    Indeed, had an equal machine, without Windows, been available at a
    lower, price, I would have.
    Sailor Sam, Aug 24, 2009
  5. Sailor Sam

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <h6sk11$k04$-september.org>,
    says...
    > PeeCee wrote:
    > > "Sailor Sam" <> wrote in message
    > >> I recently purchased a shiny new Aspire One (which I adore).
    > >> Unfortunately it came with the Windows Operating System, loaded but
    > >> not installed. I have never completed the installation, nor will I, I
    > >> have Ubuntu NBR which /more/ than satisfies my needs.
    > >>
    > >> Does anyone know how I go about getting compensation for the Windows,
    > >> that I will never use?

    > > Heaps of options here:
    > > http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=windows refund&meta=&aq=f&oq=
    > >

    > > Best
    > > Paul.

    > You fail on two counts.
    > 1) Those results do not pertain directly to New Zealand
    > 2) I was really asking, perhaps I should have been more clear) if people
    > here actually /know/ how to get the compensation.

    There's nothing wrong with the googled info given. The same applies
    here in NZ. You will need to go to the store you purchased from and
    haggle them for a refund and the price the refund is worth.

    Good luck, it's an uphill battle.

    Read the googled info, so that you are "armed" when you go into the shop
    and you tell them you have not accepted the MS licence.

    (Although you could use say an OEM price as a starting point, in my
    opinion you'll be hard pressed to:
    a. get a refund
    and
    b. only get one for not much more than $50)

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Aug 24, 2009
  6. Sailor Sam

    impossible Guest

    "Sailor Sam" <> wrote in message

    > Does anyone know how I go about getting compensation for the Windows, that
    > I will never use?

    Return the laptop, get your money back, buy something else.
    impossible, Aug 24, 2009
  7. Sailor Sam

    Sailor Sam Guest

    impossible wrote:

    > "Sailor Sam" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Does anyone know how I go about getting compensation for the Windows,
    >> that I will never use?

    > Return the laptop, get your money back, buy something else.

    Laptop?

    Oh, you mean netbook. :)

    Like I said, I adore it, it has become even more of an extension of me
    than I care to admit.

    And I don't want all my money back, just the bit for an Operating System
    I will never use. Ubuntu NBR is a wonderous set of software, genuinely
    impressive the amount of thought that has gone into making the User
    Interaction such a joyful experience, something I cannot say about
    Windows at all.

    (For example I was asked to help install some software on my brothers
    Vista powered laptop, and keep in mind I am far from a computing expert,
    all I wanted to do was move one file from the USB stick, to a place on
    his harddrive, and change the extension of the filename. I have to admit
    I made a mistake during the first attempt, but when I tried to undo the
    error, or start from scratch, Windows refused to let me (again and
    again, for several minutes).
    What a nightmare, when all I wanted to do was the equivalent of:
    mv /media/NANO/openvpn.txt /etc/openVPN/openVPN.conf

    I gave up in the end, and banned his laptop from my wireless :)
    Sailor Sam, Aug 24, 2009
  8. Sailor Sam

    Bobs Guest

    On Aug 24, 11:12 am, Sailor Sam <> wrote:
    > I recently purchased a shiny new Aspire One (which I adore).
    > Unfortunately it came with the Windows Operating System, loaded but not
    > installed.  I have never completed the installation, nor will I, I have
    > Ubuntu NBR which /more/ than satisfies my needs.
    >
    > Does anyone know how I go about getting compensation for the Windows,
    > that I will never use?

    What a dick. Seriously.

    Did you not know windows was on it? did the salesman trick you? Did
    you not see the Windows sticker on it?

    Stop being a dick. Difficult customers like you are a nightmare.
    Bobs, Aug 24, 2009
  9. Sailor Sam

    Sailor Sam Guest

    Bobs wrote:
    > On Aug 24, 11:12 am, Sailor Sam <> wrote:
    >> I recently purchased a shiny new Aspire One (which I adore).
    >> Unfortunately it came with the Windows Operating System, loaded but not
    >> installed. I have never completed the installation, nor will I, I have
    >> Ubuntu NBR which /more/ than satisfies my needs.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know how I go about getting compensation for the Windows,
    >> that I will never use?

    > What a dick. Seriously.
    >
    > Did you not know windows was on it? did the salesman trick you? Did
    > you not see the Windows sticker on it?
    >
    > Stop being a dick. Difficult customers like you are a nightmare.

    What's difficult Bob, buying a computer without Windows?
    Sailor Sam, Aug 24, 2009
  10. Sailor Sam

    Sailor Sam Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > You may
    > have some recourse by saying that you don't agree with the MS EULA, and as
    > such want a refund for that portion of the product you bought.

    Gosh, isn't that precisely what I am doing?
    Sailor Sam, Aug 24, 2009
  11. Sailor Sam

    impossible Guest

    "Sailor Sam" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >>
    >> "Sailor Sam" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know how I go about getting compensation for the Windows,
    >>> that I will never use?

    >> Return the laptop, get your money back, buy something else.

    > Laptop?
    >
    > Oh, you mean netbook. :)
    >
    > Like I said, I adore it, it has become even more of an extension of me
    > than I care to admit.
    >
    > And I don't want all my money back, just the bit for an Operating System I
    > will never use.

    Maybe you should have thought of that before walking out of the store. Now
    hurry along back.
    impossible, Aug 24, 2009
  12. Sailor Sam

    impossible Guest

    "Sailor Sam" <> wrote in message
    > Bobs wrote:
    >> On Aug 24, 11:12 am, Sailor Sam <> wrote:
    >>> I recently purchased a shiny new Aspire One (which I adore).
    >>> Unfortunately it came with the Windows Operating System, loaded but not
    >>> installed. I have never completed the installation, nor will I, I have
    >>> Ubuntu NBR which /more/ than satisfies my needs.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know how I go about getting compensation for the Windows,
    >>> that I will never use?

    >> What a dick. Seriously.
    >>
    >> Did you not know windows was on it? did the salesman trick you? Did
    >> you not see the Windows sticker on it?
    >>
    >> Stop being a dick. Difficult customers like you are a nightmare.

    > What's difficult Bob, buying a computer without Windows?

    Did you ask to buy a computer without Windows? No. Now off you go, troll.
    impossible, Aug 24, 2009
  13. Sailor Sam

    Sailor Sam Guest

    impossible wrote:

    > "Sailor Sam" <> wrote in message
    >> impossible wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Sailor Sam" <> wrote in message

    >>> Return the laptop, get your money back, buy something else.

    >> Laptop?
    >>
    >> Oh, you mean netbook. :)
    >>
    >> Like I said, I adore it, it has become even more of an extension of me
    >> than I care to admit.
    >>
    >> And I don't want all my money back, just the bit for an Operating
    >> System I will never use.

    > Maybe you should have thought of that before walking out of the store.
    > Now hurry along back.

    An interesting idea, had I been told about the EULA, had I been given
    the oppourtunity to read the EULA *before* I left the store.
    Sailor Sam, Aug 24, 2009
  14. Sailor Sam

    Sailor Sam Guest

    impossible wrote:

    > "Sailor Sam" <> wrote in message
    >> Bobs wrote:

    >>> What a dick. Seriously.
    >>>
    >>> Did you not know windows was on it? did the salesman trick you? Did
    >>> you not see the Windows sticker on it?
    >>>
    >>> Stop being a dick. Difficult customers like you are a nightmare.

    >> What's difficult Bob, buying a computer without Windows?

    > Did you ask to buy a computer without Windows? No. Now off you go, troll.

    Was I told about the contents of the EULA? No. Now what?
    Sailor Sam, Aug 24, 2009
  15. Sailor Sam

    Bobs Guest

    On Aug 24, 3:25 pm, Sailor Sam <> wrote:
    > impossible wrote:
    >
    > > "Sailor Sam" <> wrote in message

    > >> What's difficult Bob, buying a computer without Windows?

    > > Did you ask to buy a computer without Windows? No. Now off you go, troll.

    > Was I told about the contents of the EULA? No. Now what?- Hide quoted text -

    Worst customer ever. You bought the damn thing. Answer me this - did
    you NOT know it had windows on it? Was it not clearly labelled?

    If you answered yes to either or both of these before purchasing the
    thing, then you are just being a dick. Simple as that.
    Bobs, Aug 24, 2009
  16. Sailor Sam

    impossible Guest

    "Sailor Sam" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >>
    >> "Sailor Sam" <> wrote in message

    >>> Laptop?
    >>>
    >>> Oh, you mean netbook. :)
    >>>
    >>> Like I said, I adore it, it has become even more of an extension of me
    >>> than I care to admit.
    >>>
    >>> And I don't want all my money back, just the bit for an Operating System
    >>> I will never use.

    >> Maybe you should have thought of that before walking out of the store.
    >> Now hurry along back.

    > An interesting idea, had I been told about the EULA, had I been given the
    > oppourtunity to read the EULA *before* I left the store.

    If you never intended to install Windows, the EULA is irrelevant to you.
    impossible, Aug 24, 2009
  17. Sailor Sam

    Sailor Sam Guest

    Bobs wrote:
    > On Aug 24, 3:25 pm, Sailor Sam <> wrote:
    >> impossible wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Sailor Sam" <> wrote in message
    >>> Did you ask to buy a computer without Windows? No. Now off you go, troll.

    >> Was I told about the contents of the EULA? No. Now what?- Hide quoted text -

    > Worst customer ever. You bought the damn thing. Answer me this - did
    > you NOT know it had windows on it?

    No actually.

    > Was it not clearly labelled?

    Not at all.

    > If you answered yes to either or both of these before purchasing the
    > thing, then you are just being a dick. Simple as that.

    :)
    Wrong.
    Sailor Sam, Aug 24, 2009
  18. Sailor Sam

    Sailor Sam Guest

    geoff wrote:
    > Sailor Sam wrote:
    >> impossible wrote:
    >>> "Sailor Sam" <> wrote in message

    >>> Did you ask to buy a computer without Windows? No. Now off you go,
    >>> troll.

    >> Was I told about the contents of the EULA? No. Now what?

    > Probably not.

    Definitely not.

    > What difference does the EULA make - you had already
    > purchased the item with the software bundled. The EULA applies to what you
    > do with the MS part of the item after the purchase.
    >
    > geoff

    And here's the rub. I don't agree with the EULA.
    Sailor Sam, Aug 24, 2009
  19. Sailor Sam

    impossible Guest

    "Sailor Sam" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >>
    >> "Sailor Sam" <> wrote in message

    >>> What's difficult Bob, buying a computer without Windows?

    >> Did you ask to buy a computer without Windows? No. Now off you go, troll.

    > Was I told about the contents of the EULA? No. Now what?

    The Windows EULA is irrelvant to you unless and until you install Windows.
    If you don't want the license you foolishly paid for, then just return the
    machine, get your money back, and buy something else. How much plainer can I
    make this for you? Your troll failed -- now off you go!
    impossible, Aug 24, 2009
  20. Sailor Sam

    Sailor Sam Guest

    geoff wrote:
    > Sailor Sam wrote:
    >> An interesting idea, had I been told about the EULA, had I been given
    >> the oppourtunity to read the EULA *before* I left the store.

    > The EULA has nothing to do with it. You purchased a laptop with Windows -
    > end of story. What you decide to do after that purchase it totally up to
    > you - if you use Windows or not.

    That really depends on the presumption that I knew windows was on the
    machine.

    > Just like the engine in your car if you decided you'd rather drop in a V8,
    > or VW instead. Get over it.
    >
    > geoff

    It would be more like buying a car without a stereo, which I can do (and
    have so done).
    I can, and probably will, upgrade parts of this machine. But I will
    never use the Windows Operating system.
    Sailor Sam, Aug 24, 2009