    partition...

    Thanks
    Graeme

    Graeme Woollett, Aug 26, 2004

  2. "Graeme Woollett" <> wrote in message
    >I very unwisely installed SP2 last night on my KT333 XP home based system,
    >now my machine automatically reboots itself each time at the windows splash
    >screen.
    > The most secure version of windows I've seen yet!
    > Is anyone else having this particular problem and if so how do you fix it,
    > apart from starting again from scratch?
    > How could even Microsoft f--k things up this badly?
    > I'd least I can boot Linux and get my files off the toasted windows
    > partition...
    >
    > Thanks
    > Graeme

    You can get free phone-based SP2 support by calling 0800 800-004 (Monday to
    Friday, 9am to 5pm). This might be worth a read too:

    http://www.mcse.ms/message959205.html

    Brett Roberts
    Microsoft NZ

    Brett Roberts, Aug 26, 2004

  3. Graeme Woollett wrote:

    > I very unwisely installed SP2 last night on my KT333 XP home based
    > system, now my machine automatically reboots itself each time at the
    > windows splash screen.
    > The most secure version of windows I've seen yet!
    > Is anyone else having this particular problem and if so how do you fix
    > it, apart from starting again from scratch?
    > How could even Microsoft f--k things up this badly?
    > I'd least I can boot Linux and get my files off the toasted windows
    > partition...

    But surely you did backups prior to doing a major system update?
    and you checked that all the software works with SP2?
    Do you use Norton System Works/Norton AV(prior to 2003 version)? it
    causes a blue screen with XPSP2 unless you have the latest updates.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 27, 2004
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Graeme Woollett wrote:
    >
    >> I very unwisely installed SP2 last night on my KT333 XP home based
    >> system, now my machine automatically reboots itself each time at the
    >> windows splash screen.
    >> The most secure version of windows I've seen yet!
    >> Is anyone else having this particular problem and if so how do you fix
    >> it, apart from starting again from scratch?
    >> How could even Microsoft f--k things up this badly?
    >> I'd least I can boot Linux and get my files off the toasted windows
    >> partition...

    > But surely you did backups prior to doing a major system update?
    > and you checked that all the software works with SP2?
    > Do you use Norton System Works/Norton AV(prior to 2003 version)? it
    > causes a blue screen with XPSP2 unless you have the latest updates.

    No don't use Norton.
    Not a an entirely useful reply Dave, do you really expect mainstream
    Windows users to be able to backup & restore their systems when XP SP2
    goes astray? The only people that I see winning here are the computer
    repair shops. Sorry Brett, BIMHO Microsoft have been far too hasty in
    releasing this service update to the masses.

    Graeme

    Graeme Woollett, Aug 27, 2004
  5. Graeme Woollett wrote:
    >> But surely you did backups prior to doing a major system update?
    >> and you checked that all the software works with SP2?
    >> Do you use Norton System Works/Norton AV(prior to 2003 version)? it
    >> causes a blue screen with XPSP2 unless you have the latest updates.

    > No don't use Norton.
    > Not a an entirely useful reply Dave, do you really expect mainstream
    > Windows users to be able to backup & restore their systems when XP SP2
    > goes astray?

    ok, so the backup comment was a dig, they always should be made before
    something like this. But the rest of my reply was serious, SP2 will
    cause it to blue screen, and they are fairly common apps.

    > The only people that I see winning here are the computer
    > repair shops. Sorry Brett, BIMHO Microsoft have been far too hasty in
    > releasing this service update to the masses.

    In the ~30 machines that I have applied this SP to, I have had only one
    fail, and that was Norton's fault... well, mine, I should have checked
    it first.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 27, 2004
  6. Graeme Woollett

    GraB Guest

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 09:13:06 +1200, Graeme Woollett
    <> wrote:

    >I very unwisely installed SP2 last night on my KT333 XP home based
    >system, now my machine automatically reboots itself each time at the
    >windows splash screen.
    >The most secure version of windows I've seen yet!
    >Is anyone else having this particular problem and if so how do you fix
    >it, apart from starting again from scratch?
    >How could even Microsoft f--k things up this badly?
    >I'd least I can boot Linux and get my files off the toasted windows
    >partition...
    >
    >Thanks
    >Graeme

    Sounds like a broken fix for a broken OS.

    GraB, Aug 27, 2004
  7. GraB wrote:
    > Sounds like a broken fix for a broken OS.

    It worked fine for ~30 PCs that I have used.
    sped up a few, slowed a few(a tad), and didn't make **** all difference
    to the others.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 27, 2004
  8. Graeme Woollett

    John Guest

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 09:13:06 +1200, Graeme Woollett
    <> wrote:

    boot into secure mode and check out the event log
    Use system restore to roll back...

    John, Aug 27, 2004
  9. Graeme Woollett

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I very unwisely installed SP2 last night on my KT333 XP home based
    >system, now my machine automatically reboots itself each time at the
    >windows splash screen.
    >The most secure version of windows I've seen yet!
    >Is anyone else having this particular problem and if so how do you fix
    >it, apart from starting again from scratch?
    >How could even Microsoft f--k things up this badly?
    >I'd least I can boot Linux and get my files off the toasted windows
    >partition...

    This is a pretty common fault Graeme, and due to the inadequate
    recovery console tools there's bugger-all chance of actually
    identifying what the cause is. I assume it's doing the same in safe
    mode?

    If you want to try some troubleshooting you can enable bootlogging in
    the boot.ini file and see if the boot log tells you anything useful.
    That would likely be an exercise in frustration as the console tools
    are just pathetic, don't even have a decent text editor. Can find info
    on how to do all that with a web search on 'windows xp bootlog'. You
    can view text files page by page by using the MORE option, ie;

    TYPE \windows\systemroot\Ntbtlog.txt|MORE

    This site has some useful tips on troubleshooting some XP problems;

    http://aumha.org/win5/kbstrtup.php

    Alternatively the quickest fix for the average user is usually to
    reinstall using the repair option, which retains all system settings
    and, in my own experience at least, is a reliable fix.

    Cheers

    Gavin

    Gavin Tunney, Aug 27, 2004
  10. Graeme Woollett

    Patrick Bold Guest

    > How could even Microsoft f--k things up this badly?

    Generally speaking, it's a cooperative effort between Microsoft and the
    end user ;)

    What hardware do you have installed on this system of yours? Do you have
    the latest drivers? By design, XP-SP2 is more demanding in terms of
    compatibility, so if you have anything installed that's doubtful, that
    could be the source of your trouble. When in doubt, XP will try to swap
    in a generic driver it "thinks" will work, but it's bound to fail on
    some untested combinations.

    Patrick Bold, Aug 27, 2004
  11. Graeme Woollett

    Patrick Bold Guest

    Patrick Bold" <> wrote in message
    > "Graeme Woollett" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> How could even Microsoft f--k things up this badly?

    > Generally speaking, it's a cooperative effort between Microsoft and
    > the end user ;)
    >
    > What hardware do you have installed on this system of yours? Do you
    > have the latest drivers? By design, XP-SP2 is more demanding in terms
    > of compatibility, so if you have anything installed that's doubtful,
    > that could be the source of your trouble. When in doubt, XP will try
    > to swap in a generic driver it "thinks" will work, but it's bound to
    > fail on some untested combinations.

    And to everyone....please read this BEFORE you install SP2:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx

    Patrick Bold, Aug 29, 2004