    Does anyone know what CONFIGMC is, and what might be causing the
    Windows protection error?

    TIA

    User Name, Jul 26, 2005

  2. User Name

    WormWood Guest

    CONFIGMC is a Mac app. Did you mean CONFIGMG? Have you got Advanced
    Power Management enabled in the BIOS? If so to both, try this:

    <quote>
    Start in safe mode, then go to Control Panel > System > Device Manager
    tab > scroll down to System Devices > Advanced Power Management
    properties, and enable Force APM 1.0. Reboot in normal mode and it
    should be ok.

    </quote>

    WormWood, Jul 26, 2005

  3. User Name

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:27:06 GMT, User Name wrote:

    >Using Win98SE
    >
    >On occasion, I get a message on a DOS screen at startup that says
    >something like "Windows protection error, unable to configure
    >CONFIGMC" (I'll get a more accurate version of this the next time it

    That will be configmg?

    configmc , had 2 google hits. While configmg

    Web Results 1 - 10 of about 888 English pages for
    windows protection error configmg. (0.33 seconds)

    >happens).

    http://www.easydesksoftware.com/news/news19.htm

    MS Technet June 2005 , 0 hits for CONFIGMC

    lookup the PSS ID number on Google or http://support.microsoft.com/

    Knowledge Base
    Error Message: Initializing Device IOS Windows Protection Error
    PSS ID Number: 263466
    Article Last Modified on 12/20/2004

    Windows Protection Error
    This is the problem I got while installing Win98SE from a clean
    harddisk: ... the annoying "Windows Protection Error" comes up. Then I
    hit a ...
    www.duxcw.com/dcforum/DCForumID7/200.html - 10k - Cached - Similar pages

    configmg windows protection error on startup
    ... for Win98SE, I started getting a windows protection error,
    configmg. ... RE: configmg windows protection error on startup Davo
    Jun-20-01 02:59 PM ...
    www.duxcw.com/dcforum/DCForumID7/282.html - 9k - Cached - Similar
    pages

    PC hardware - General discussion FAQ - Tek-Tips
    Windows Protection Error. You must reboot your computer. - While
    initializing device IOS: Windows Protection error. You must reboot your
    computer. ...
    www.tek-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=196 - 16k - Cached - Similar pages

    That Computer Guy's Help Forum -> windows protection error
    windows protection error, keeps telling me to reboot. Track this topic |
    Email this topic ... Windows protection error . you need to restart your
    computer. ...
    http://forums.thatcomputerguy.us/index.php?showtopic=14795&view=getnewpost
    - 71k - Cached - Similar pages

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Jul 26, 2005
  4. User Name

    User Name Guest

    WormWood,

    Thank you for your reply.

    You were correct about "CONFIGMG" ... sorry about the confusion ...
    need a new pair of glasses to read my DOS screens I guess.

    In the Advanced Power Management Support Properties, on the "General"
    tab, neither "Diasble in this hardware profile" is checked, nor is
    "Remove from this hardware profile" checked. Is that correct?

    On the "Settings" tab, "Force APM 1.0 mode was already checked, so I
    left it alone.

    Thanks for your help.

    User Name, Jul 26, 2005
  5. User Name

    User Name Guest

    Yes, it should have been CONFIGMG, as you were good enough to discover
    and research for me.

    I'm on my way to these links to see what's there, as well as trying
    the "Advanced Power Management" suggestion offered by WormWood.

    Thanks for your help ...

    On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 18:51:38 GMT, why?

    User Name, Jul 26, 2005
  6. User Name

    WormWood Guest

    Yep, sounds good. Hope it works for you. And, you're welcome.

    WormWood, Jul 26, 2005