windows - problem deleting local website, just folder

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk, Mar 11, 2008.

  1. Guest

    I have encountered a strange problem with windows xp.

    As a demonstration.

    Open IE, save website (file..saveas..web page complete)

    So whereever you put it, you have something like this
    "
    11/03/2008 18:34 104,796 Google Groups.htm
    11/03/2008 18:34 <DIR> Google Groups_files
    "

    However. This is the problem. When I delete one, it deletes the
    other.

    I can see why windows wants to do that.. But I don't want this
    supposedly helpful behaviour.

    I can work around it by renaming one of them.

    But I want a proper fix. Anybody?

    note- before I was betting a message saying if you delete one it will
    "break it"(it didn't use that terminology but we know what it meant)
    So I went ahead with it. But doing this a few times, I used the fact
    that it also said I can choose not to get that message. So I did.
    But now it deletes them both.

    I don't want the message and I don't want it deleting both. I want it
    to behave normally.

    , Mar 11, 2008

  2. - Bobb - Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I have encountered a strange problem with windows xp.
    > As a demonstration.
    > Open IE, save website (file..saveas..web page complete)
    > So whereever you put it, you have something like this
    > "
    > 11/03/2008 18:34 104,796 Google Groups.htm
    > 11/03/2008 18:34 <DIR> Google Groups_files
    > "
    > However. This is the problem. When I delete one, it deletes the
    > other. I can see why windows wants to do that..
    > But I don't want this supposedly helpful behaviour.
    >
    > I can work around it by renaming one of them.
    >
    > But I want a proper fix. Anybody?
    > note- before I was betting a message saying if you delete one it will
    > "break it"(it didn't use that terminology but we know what it meant)
    > So I went ahead with it. But doing this a few times, I used the fact
    > that it also said I can choose not to get that message. So I did.
    > But now it deletes them both.
    >
    > I don't want the message and I don't want it deleting both.
    > I want it to behave normally.

    I also checked that "don't bother me again" box long ago.
    Easy answer - ( vs renaming/clicking "yes I know" / moving etc)
    If you have a LOT of them, delete the html icon/ the folder gets deleted
    too ( as you state). Do that for all - now go to wastebasket and "sort by
    type" - restore JUST the html files - the "folders" stay in trash.

    Otherwise, open the current webpage Google Groups.htm

    File - As Save
    and if you do NOT want " as webpage"
    "save as"
    select
    ".htm only"
    and give it a name.
    Groups
    results - groups.htm
    Same name - you'll get "Overwrite?"
    To check ( first few times maybe) when done,
    open new, if as you like, then delete original.

    I assume that you save the html file and don't need the "folder" ??
    ( He quietly asked... ) why "saving as webpage" if not both wanted ? In
    future , maybe "Save as" .htm only ? Unless a page of pictures, the
    "folder" often has useless little icons, etc. BTW, it is acting "normally
    " BY deleting both ( you CHOSE one linked pair). If you DO want "the whole
    page", I use "save as .mht" - then all in one file and less
    filenames/clutter on pc. easier -IMHO
    Bobb

    - Bobb -, Mar 29, 2008

  3. Guest

    On 29 Mar, 14:42, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > >I have encountered a strange problem with windows xp.
    > > As a demonstration.
    > > Open IE, save website (file..saveas..web page complete)
    > > So whereever you put it, you have something like this
    > > "
    > > 11/03/2008 18:34 104,796 Google Groups.htm
    > > 11/03/2008 18:34 <DIR> Google Groups_files
    > > "
    > > However. This is the problem. When I delete one, it deletes the
    > > other. I can see why windows wants to do that..
    > > But I don't want this supposedly helpful behaviour.

    > > I can work around it by renaming one of them.

    > > But I want a proper fix. Anybody?
    > > note- before I was betting a message saying if you delete one it will
    > > "break it"(it didn't use that terminology but we know what it meant)
    > > So I went ahead with it. But doing this a few times, I used the fact
    > > that it also said I can choose not to get that message. So I did.
    > > But now it deletes them both.

    > > I don't want the message and I don't want it deleting both.
    > > I want it to behave normally.

    following on from my question..

    The fix is
    from a window like "My Computer". (not from IE, since the menu is not
    within IE)
    Tools..Folder Options...View....Show both parts and manage them
    individually.

    The default, where when you delete one it delete the other, would be
    one of the other 2 options.

    The default is that if you have a folder blah_files and a file called
    blah.htm (or blah.html), then the default is when you delete one it
    deletes the other. (an exception is if you delete one from the
    command prompt. There it deletes them individually.. So deleting from
    the command prompt would be a workaround, but a workaround would be
    unnecessary).

    note- if you you weren`t trying to delete one. And you just wanted to
    rename the folder(e.g. because of the long name), then know that even
    with the default option allegedly "managing them as a pair". Renaming
    the folder doesn`t change all references in the corresponding html
    file.. You would have to. Open the html file in a browser and
    view...source (so the file opens in a text editor) and find/replace .
    And of course, renaming one does not rename the other.
    The only way I see them being "managed as a pair", is in deletion! -
    from within the windows GUI.

    > I also checked that "don't bother me again" box long ago.
    > Easy answer - ( vs renaming/clicking "yes I know" / moving etc)
    > If you have a LOT of them, delete the html icon/ the folder gets deleted
    > too ( as you state). Do that for all - now go to wastebasket and "sort by
    > type" - restore JUST the html files - the "folders" stay in trash.

    I notice that when you delete one, both go to the recycle bin. And you
    can restore one. But that is more long winded than renaming one
    and deleting the one you want to delete.

    > Otherwise, open the current webpage Google Groups.htm
    >
    > File - As Save
    > and if you do NOT want " as webpage"
    > "save as"
    > select
    > ".htm only"
    > and give it a name.
    > Groups
    > results - groups.htm

    very concise there

    > Same name - you'll get "Overwrite?"
    > To check ( first few times maybe) when done,
    > open new, if as you like, then delete original.

    I just tried that for the hell of it. There was no checkbox. Is IE6
    btw, so maybe that has something to do with it.

    Anyhow. Fact is, if you have
    a folder a_files and a file called a.htm (or a.html), then the
    default is when you delete one it deletes the other. (an exception
    is if you delete them from the command prompt. There it deletes them
    individually).

    And you haven`t explained what is going on behind the scenes.
    Presumably eventually it stopped asking you to overwrite and started
    to give the file a new name.

    Again, that is a ridiculously long winded way to do it. Far quicker,
    what I suggested in the original post, which was to rename the file.
    Or to do file..save as, and give it a different name. But I was
    looking for a fix not a longer workaround!

    > I assume that you save the html file and don't need the "folder" ??
    > ( He quietly asked... ) why "saving as webpage" if not both wanted ? In
    > future , maybe "Save as" .htm only ? Unless a page of pictures, the
    > "folder" often has useless little icons, etc. BTW, it is acting "normally
    > " BY deleting both ( you CHOSE one linked pair). If you DO want "the whole
    > page", I use "save as .mht" - then all in one file and less
    > filenames/clutter on pc. easier -IMHO

    Looking at how good this .mht thing is..
    I just tried .mht The option is in Opera too so it`s not just an MS
    Application Thing.

    The icon it gave to the file did not match IE or MS Word or any app I
    am familiar with. I double clicked it, it opened in MS Word, with
    HTML all skewed. And crashed it.
    That was with an mht file saved in IE.. Of something in www.google.com/groups
    An mht file saved in Opera opened in both opera and IE though..

    And (as with saving a webpage with opera.. It had a shorter name,
    which is better)..

    Given the experience with dot mht, I wouldn`t use it..

    And with saving a webpage.. You can see the folder, at least you can
    delete images there you don`t want if they are "too big" or just
    unnecessary. (sometimes, you can even delete them without skewing the
    webpage!).
    And of course you can delete the folder too at a later date.. I am
    not sure if .mht gives that option to delete things within it. MAYBE,
    if opening the html in MS Word (viewing the html page like a browser
    views html, but edittable).

    , Mar 29, 2008
  4. - Bobb - Guest

    Sorry, I thought you were looking for "A" way to do it, so gave a few
    simple ones. After reading your reply and seeing that you know how to get
    around a PC, this is what you want:

    Windows Explorer,
    Tools
    - Folder Options
    - View
    - Managing pairs of Web pages / folders
    - click your choice.

    - Bobb -, Mar 31, 2008
  5. Guest

    On 31 Mar, 12:20, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:
    > Sorry, I thought you were looking for "A" way to do it, so gave a few
    > simple ones. After reading your reply  and seeing that you know how to get
    > around a PC, this is what you want:
    >
    > Windows Explorer,
    > Tools
    >  - Folder Options
    > - View
    > - Managing pairs of  Web pages / folders
    >      - click your choice.

    <snip>

    a)I already corrected you on that style.

    You can be more concise

    Tools...folder options...view....e.t.c.

    b)I said that method already, after you failed to find it. I asked for
    a fix. that is it. If you were aware of it and gave those lame answers
    then you are a fucking asshole and a fucking idiot.

    , Mar 31, 2008