windows pop-ups

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by °Mike°, Dec 22, 2003.

  1. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    <Canned response>

    You should install a firewall, since the messenger service
    uses ports 137-139 (NETBIOS), which should be blocked by your
    firewall.

    To prevent the Messenger service from starting automatically,
    open the Services panel by typing...

    services.msc /s

    ....into the Start / Run box.
    In the right-hand pane highlight 'Messenger'.
    Right click and choose 'Properties'.
    Click the 'Stop' button.
    From the 'Startup Type' drop down, choose 'Disabled' or 'Manual'.
    'Apply / Ok'.

    More information:

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet
    Advertisement Appears

    Windows Messages
    http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml

    How to stop Messenger SPAM Disable Windows Messenger
    Service
    http://www.auburn.edu/oit/security/messengerService.html

    How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows
    XP-Based Computer

    Disable-Remove Windows Messenger

    Firewalls:
    ------------
    Outpost

    Sygate
    http://soho.sygate.com/products/shield_ov.htm

    Zone Alarm
    http://www.zonelabs.com/

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 17:24:46 -0800, in
    <vNFFb.1497$>
    Jeff Kessler scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 22, 2003

  2. °Mike°

    Harrison Guest

    1. Disable Windows Messenger Service:
    This IS NOT the same as MSN Messenger and it will not affect your
    ability to chat with friends.
    ____________________
    Click Start > Run and type "services.msc" (no quotes) click OK

    In the right pane, scroll down to Messenger.

    Double click Messenger and click the General tab.

    Under Service Status: click the Stop button.

    In the Startup Type: drop down box, select Disable.

    Click Apply and OK.

    2. Install the Google Toolbar to block browser pop-ups:
    http://toolbar.google.com/

    Harrison, Dec 22, 2003

  3. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    By the way, please adjust your clock and/or Time Zone. You are posting
    from the future.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 22, 2003
  4. °Mike°

    philo Guest

    "Jeff Kessler" <> wrote in message
    > does anyone know how to disable windows pop-ups?
    > I know there is a way - i saw it described on a website & used it, but

    since
    > reformatting can't remember how.
    > TIA, Jeff

    I use something called Slim Browser ( it will come up on a Google search)

    It's basically a shell for Internet Explorer...that contains a pop-up
    stopper.
    It also has a few other featurers that you may or may not need.
    philo, Dec 22, 2003
  5. °Mike°

    Mara Guest

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 17:24:46 -0800, Jeff Kessler wrote:

    >does anyone know how to disable windows pop-ups?
    >I know there is a way - i saw it described on a website & used it, but since
    >reformatting can't remember how.
    >TIA, Jeff

    Take °Mike°'s advice, and please fix your time/timezone settings. :)

    "It isn't 7:24PM."

    --
    You don't change the way people think by changing what they say.
    You change the way people think with HEADLESS CHARRED BODIES FLY-
    Mara, Dec 22, 2003
  6. °Mike°

    DaveG Guest

    Please fix your time/timezone settings.
    Immediately!!

    --
    dg-2003

    " You think you're God Almighty, but you know what you are? You're a
    cheap, lousy, dirty, stinkin' mug! And I'm glad what I done to you, ya
    hear that? I'm glad what I done!"
    DaveG, Dec 22, 2003
  7. °Mike°

    Jennie Guest

    >does anyone know how to disable windows pop-ups?
    >I know there is a way - i saw it described on a website & used it, but since
    >reformatting can't remember how.

    There are a number of tools at:
    http://www.messaging-software.net/popup-killer-software.htm
    that will disable popups.
    Good luck
    Jennie

    Jeff Kessler, Dec 23, 2003
  9. °Mike°

    Andy Guest

    Hi Mike !!! Jak sie masz ?
    Andy, Dec 23, 2003
  10. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 02:56:33 GMT, in
    <B9OFb.152824$%>
    Andy scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >Hi Mike !!! Jak sie masz ?

    Jestem zajety. Nie chce z Toba rozmawiac.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 23, 2003
  11. °Mike°

    Mara Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 17:36:34 -0000, Jeff Kessler wrote:

    >ok, i've fixed my date/time settings. i get the impression that it's a
    >problem if they're wrong, but i'm not sure why. what am i missing here?
    >Jeff

    When they're wrong, they show up in everyone else's (tinee) clients as wrong.
    Like they do right now - your post shows as being made at 12/23/03 11:36AM, when
    it's actually around 5:29AM at the moment. And your post will stay in my client
    until either I delete it, killfile you, or the post time has passed. What if
    you'd gotten the year wrong? Say, 2031 instead of 2003? There are other reasons,
    too.

    http://www.visi.com/~barr/timezone.html
    http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~jaabogae/han/pf_pegatime.htm

    "They're still wrong. Please fix them."

    <snip>

    Mara, Dec 23, 2003
  12. It was on Tue, 23 Dec 2003 05:32:20 -0600, just as I was halfway through a
    large jam doughnut, that Mara wrote:

    > On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 17:36:34 -0000, Jeff Kessler wrote:
    >
    >>ok, i've fixed my date/time settings. i get the impression that it's a
    >>problem if they're wrong, but i'm not sure why. what am i missing here?
    >>Jeff

    > When they're wrong, they show up in everyone else's (tinee) clients as wrong.
    > Like they do right now - your post shows as being made at 12/23/03 11:36AM, when
    > it's actually around 5:29AM at the moment. And your post will stay in my client
    > until either I delete it, killfile you, or the post time has passed. What if
    > you'd gotten the year wrong? Say, 2031 instead of 2003? There are other reasons,
    > too.
    >
    > http://www.visi.com/~barr/timezone.html
    > http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~jaabogae/han/pf_pegatime.htm
    >
    > "They're still wrong. Please fix them."
    >
    > <snip>

    I killed his post, as the time still was way out.

    --
    Linux User #: 305646.
    SuSE Linux Pro 9.0
    William Poaster, Dec 23, 2003
  13. °Mike°

    Mara Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 14:56:54 +0000, William Poaster wrote:

    >It was on Tue, 23 Dec 2003 05:32:20 -0600, just as I was halfway through a
    >large jam doughnut, that Mara wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 17:36:34 -0000, Jeff Kessler wrote:
    >>
    >>>ok, i've fixed my date/time settings. i get the impression that it's a
    >>>problem if they're wrong, but i'm not sure why. what am i missing here?
    >>>Jeff

    >> When they're wrong, they show up in everyone else's (tinee) clients as wrong.
    >> Like they do right now - your post shows as being made at 12/23/03 11:36AM, when
    >> it's actually around 5:29AM at the moment. And your post will stay in my client
    >> until either I delete it, killfile you, or the post time has passed. What if
    >> you'd gotten the year wrong? Say, 2031 instead of 2003? There are other reasons,
    >> too.
    >>
    >> http://www.visi.com/~barr/timezone.html
    >> http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~jaabogae/han/pf_pegatime.htm
    >>
    >> "They're still wrong. Please fix them."
    >>
    >> <snip>

    >I killed his post, as the time still was way out.

    I noticed that too, which is why I explained to him. I haven't seen any more
    like that, so it you might want to reconsider this. :)

    "Unless, of course, the next one is way out. Then, I'll join you."

    Mara, Dec 23, 2003
  14. °Mike°

    Jeff Kessler Guest

    Jeff Kessler, Dec 23, 2003
  15. °Mike°

    JWooden271 Guest

    >does anyone know how to disable windows pop-ups?
    >I know there is a way - i saw it described on a website & used it, but since
    >reformatting can't remember how.
    >TIA, Jeff

    Here's a free simple proggie for disabling the WIndows Messenger service:
    http://www.grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm
    JWooden271, Dec 27, 2003