    give them a year or so and they could turn this into a very credible
    alternative.

    If they can persuade the rest of the world to keep still in the meantime...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 25, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-10-25, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > It?s obvious Microsoft have worked very hard on this. There are the usual
    > glitches and irritations you would expect from a version-1.0 product. But
    > give them a year or so and they could turn this into a very credible
    > alternative.
    >
    > If they can persuade the rest of the world to keep still in the meantime...

    Indeed that is also what I have read elsewhere. Some will go to it as it is
    from Microsoft.

    I see it as another case of MS just being too big and old to catch up, or
    keep up.

    The Road Ahead, by Bill Gates is worth a read. It shows how Bill's vision
    was so way out and it it arrived via another way.

    Gordon, Oct 25, 2010

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 18:53:03 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > It’s obvious Microsoft have worked very hard on this. There are the
    > usual glitches and irritations you would expect from a version-1.0
    > product. But give them a year or so and they could turn this into a very
    > credible alternative.

    I doubt that very much.

    MS Windows took over 10 releases over 27 years before it got to the point
    where it _started_ to become secure and reliable.

    Microsoft first started developing MS Windows in 1983, and released its
    first version of MS Windows (1.0) in 1985.

    Since then it has released the following versions:

    WIN2.0
    WIN2.1.x
    WIN3.0
    WinNT1.0 (development of this was started by DEC, originally called Mica,
    stolen by Microsoft in 1988 for which MS was sued and ended up paying
    $US150m) released and marketed from the beginning as WinNT3.1)
    WIN3.1
    WIN3.11
    WIN4.0 (aka Windows95 - 5 different releases with different functionality)
    WinNT4.x (multiple "service pack" versions)
    WIN4.1 (aka Windows 98 - 2 different releases)
    WIN4.9 (aka WindowsME)
    WinNT5.0 (aka Windows2000, released as crippleware with 4 degrees of
    disability)
    WinNT5.1 (aka WindowsXP, first released 2001, 15 different releases over
    4 years, some of which are crippleware)
    WinNT5.2 (aka Windows "server" 2003 - crippleware with 6 different
    degrees of available functionality)
    WinNT6.0 (aka "Windows Vista" and "Windows Server 2008", 16 different
    versions of which some are crippleware)

    And of the above versions developed by Microsoft since 1983 only WinNT6.0
    is starting to have proper security features in the OS.

    And regular "security" patches are still being released every month
    correcting significant flaws in the OS.

    So I very much doubt that Microsoft will be able to take "Windows Phone
    7" from being a first version POS to being a creditable alternative to
    Android in only 1 year!

    Sweetpea, Oct 25, 2010
  4. In message <ia35vv$kv2$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > It’s obvious Microsoft have worked very hard on this.

    Let’s put it this way: it looks better than Android did when that started.

    The difference is that the open nature of Android allowed for feverish
    competition among handset makers, to the point where, after just two years,
    they have been able to match, and then surpass, the Iphone.

    Unfortunately, Windows Phone 7, being a more centrally-controlled platform,
    doesn’t allow handset makers to innovate with custom features in the same
    way; they have to wait for the new stuff to come down from Microsoft. But
    Microsoft simply isn’t a fast-moving company any more. Which is why Windows
    Phone 7 will not be able to keep up.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 26, 2010