    people suggest? XP or something else? And how can one purchase these
    OS's for a reasonable figure?

    Thanks.
    Quimbler, Jan 24, 2005

  2. Quimbler

    Conor Guest

    In article <ct2vnp$lbl$>, Quimbler says...
    > Firstly is Windows 2000, the same as Windows ME?

    Not in any way shape or form.

    > Secondly, if I was looking to update to a Windows system, what would
    > people suggest? XP or something else? And how can one purchase these
    > OS's for a reasonable figure?

    XP. Buy the OEM one. You need to buyt an essential piece of hardware at
    the same time to qualify for the OEM version but mice and power chords
    are regarded as essential.

    --
    Conor

    -- George Patton
    Conor, Jan 24, 2005

  3. Quimbler

    Birgit Guest

    "Conor" <> wrote in message
    > In article <ct2vnp$lbl$>, Quimbler says...
    > > Firstly is Windows 2000, the same as Windows ME?
    > >

    > Not in any way shape or form.
    >
    > > Secondly, if I was looking to update to a Windows system, what would
    > > people suggest? XP or something else? And how can one purchase these
    > > OS's for a reasonable figure?
    > >

    > XP. Buy the OEM one. You need to buyt an essential piece of hardware at
    > the same time to qualify for the OEM version but mice and power chords
    > are regarded as essential.

    Are you always this stupid or are you making a special effort today?

    Birgit, Jan 24, 2005
  4. Quimbler

    chuckie® Guest

    Yes, there is a difference, WinME is crap and Win2000 and/or XP are good
    stable OS's. I have both Win2000pro and WinXP Home in two separate
    computers and enjoy both equally. XP is prettier and has a few more
    gee-gaws, but Win2000pro is just as functional and stable. Your choice, but
    either is good...luck...
    chuckie®, Jan 25, 2005
  5. Quimbler

    Ron Martell Guest

    Quimbler <> wrote:

    >Firstly is Windows 2000, the same as Windows ME?

    No. They are totally different.

    WindowsMe is based on the Windows 9x kernel and is the successor to
    Windows 98 Second Edition. It is the last version of Windows that
    uses the 9x kernel.

    Windows 2000 is based on the Windows NT kernel and is the successor to
    Windows NT4. It is primarily a business oriented operating system and
    may not be suitable for extensive gaming or multimedia work and
    hardware drivers may not be available for some accessories.

    >Secondly, if I was looking to update to a Windows system, what would
    >people suggest? XP or something else? And how can one purchase these
    >OS's for a reasonable figure?

    Windows XP is the most recent version of Microsoft Windows and is the
    one that is most widely supported. However the hardware requirements
    are substantially higher (CPU speed, RAM quantity, and hard drive
    space) than previous versions of Windows and if your hardware is not
    adequate then the performance may be disappointing.

    If you have an existing version of Windows (95 or later) then the
    Retail Upgrade version of Windows XP may be the best choice for you as
    it has the most flexible licensing conditions in terms of transferring
    to a newer computer etc.

    If you do not have an existing version of Windows then the OEM version
    will probably be the most reasonably priced. However there are
    licensing restrictions associated with OEM versions that you should be
    aware of. See http://onlinehelp.bc.ca/oem_software.htm for details.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --