Windows on Mac?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by James San Diego, CA, Sep 14, 2006.

  1. Can Macs have Mac OS installed and Windows XP installed both at the same
    time?????????????

    James San Diego, CA, Sep 14, 2006

  2. James San Diego, CA

    Duane Arnold Guest

    James San Diego, CA wrote:
    > Can Macs have Mac OS installed and Windows XP installed both at the same
    > time?????????????

    No, you're not going to get the XP O/S to run on an computer that's made
    by Apple. Apple computers are closed computer systems meaning only Apply
    O/S will run on them. At least, that's what I was told. ;-)

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Sep 14, 2006

  3. James San Diego, CA

    Guest

    , Sep 14, 2006
  4. James San Diego, CA

    Guest

    , Sep 14, 2006
  5. James San Diego, CA

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-09-14, James San Diego, CA <> wrote:

    > Can Macs have Mac OS installed and Windows XP installed both at the same
    > time?????????????

    The current Apple computers, based on CPUs made by Intel, can run Windows
    with the help of the 'Bootcamp' utility from Apple. This involves a 'dual
    boot' arrangement; you choose which OS to use each time the computer is
    started - you don't get both at once.

    <http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/>

    Some Windows programs can be made to run within Mac OS X (or other Unix or
    Linux based systems) with the help of a utility called 'Wine', or
    'Crossover Office' which is a commercial product designed to run specific
    Windows applications on Unix or Linux based operating systems (such as Mac
    OS X). I don't know what Microsoft think about that, but enthusiasm or
    support seem unlikely ;))

    <http://www.winehq.com/>
    <http://www.codeweavers.com/>

    It is possible to have two or more operating systems running at the same
    time, by using a 'virtual machine': a special program running in the
    'host' operating system, which emulates the behaviour of real computer
    hardware and on which you can install and run any 'guest' operating system
    that would run on the 'real' hardware being emulated. Of course, this
    approach does put a significant load on the actual hardware, so all the
    operating systems being used at the same time will seem to be 'slower'
    than you would expect if they were running on seperate real machines.

    <http://search.ask.com/web?q=virtual+machine&qsrc=1&o=0&l=dir>

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Sep 14, 2006
  6. James San Diego, CA

    richard Guest

    "Duane Arnold" <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET> wrote in message
    > James San Diego, CA wrote:
    >> Can Macs have Mac OS installed and Windows XP installed both at the
    >> same time?????????????

    > No, you're not going to get the XP O/S to run on an computer that's made
    > by Apple. Apple computers are closed computer systems meaning only Apply
    > O/S will run on them. At least, that's what I was told. ;-)
    >
    > Duane :)

    Don't watch tv much then do you? Mac is now advertising that it most
    definitely can run windows.
    But on older systems? Probably not.

    richard, Sep 14, 2006
  7. James San Diego, CA

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 21:07:23 -0700, "James San Diego, CA" <> wrote:

    > Can Macs have Mac OS installed and Windows XP installed both at the same
    >time?????????????

    Some. I have a 7200/120 that has Mac OS 9.2.2 and Windows 95B installed and
    it can run both at the same time as it has a PC compatibility card.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

    Barry OGrady, Sep 17, 2006
  8. James San Diego, CA

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 08:26:44 -0600, "richard" <> wrote:

    >"Duane Arnold" <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET> wrote in message
    >> James San Diego, CA wrote:
    >>> Can Macs have Mac OS installed and Windows XP installed both at the
    >>> same time?????????????

    >> No, you're not going to get the XP O/S to run on an computer that's made
    >> by Apple. Apple computers are closed computer systems meaning only Apply
    >> O/S will run on them. At least, that's what I was told. ;-)
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    >Don't watch tv much then do you? Mac is now advertising that it most
    >definitely can run windows.
    >But on older systems? Probably not.

    Yes on older systems via a software emulator or hardware PC card.

    Barry
    =====

    Barry OGrady, Sep 17, 2006