    Any suggestions?
    Thanks Ahead
    , May 17, 2008

  2. Don Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Good Evening.
    > I am trying to figure out if I should use winXP-64bit or Win Vista. I
    > do allot of coding in C and would like access to over 4GB of RAM. I
    > use Intel Core 2 DUO e6420 CPU.
    >
    > My use patters are:
    > 1) Scientific Computing
    > 2) Office apps, Video viewing, compression
    > 3) Video games
    >
    > With DX10 Vista seems to be a better choice, however I kind of like XP
    > for its flexibility, I dont like the Vistas constant walkthroughs and
    > semi automated wizards... to me they sometimes get annoying... Also it
    > seems that Vista still has some compatibility issues, or at least it
    > did when i played with it couple months ago
    >
    > Any advice is appreciated.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    > Thanks Ahead

    Well, I personally wanted a 64 bit OS, and finally took the plunge and
    decided on Vista Ultimate. I am glad I did, I have been very pleased with
    it.

    One thing to keep in mind, device drivers , etc, are being written/updated
    frequently, for Vista now, whereas for XP 64 bit, I would imagine future
    development of drivers /programs would not be very frequent any longer.
    Yes, Vista is quite different, and for me took a little bit of getting used
    to, but now that I am much more used to it I like it a lot better.

    Main thing, with going with a 64 bit OS, is to make sure you have device
    drivers available for all your needed devices, and of course program
    compatibility. I found most my current 32 bit programs work just fine in
    Vista 64, with the exception of a couple of freeware apps that were older,
    that do not. However I had no trouble finding other more current apps that
    would do the same to replace them.

    --
    Don
    Don, May 17, 2008

  3. Your driver situation is likely to be better for Vista than for XP x64.
    OTOH, if you have all the drivers you need, then either should work fine.
    Personal preference. I moan and groan sometimes, but I'm running pure Vista
    64-bit at this point.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 17, 2008
  4. Bender Guest

    One advantage of using Vista is that if you see any Vista Logoed products
    then it will also support 64 bit. That is one of the requirements for a
    Vista Logo.

    Bender, May 18, 2008
  5. > if I should use winXP-64bit or Win Vista.
    > I do allot of coding in C

    for developers,
    using Windows Server 2008 (64-Bit) as a Workstation OS
    is getting attractive.
    Same core code base as Vista SP1; componentized, fewer toys activated.
    'Hyper-V' option as a next huge step in virtualization tech.

    <URL:http://weblogs.asp.net/israelio/archive/2008/02/21/windows-server-2008-as-workstation.aspx>
    <URL:http://blogs.msdn.com/vijaysk/archive/2008/02/11/using-windows-server-2008-as-a-super-desktop-os.aspx>
    <URL:http://www.win2008workstation.com/wordpress/>
    <URL:http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1218>

    --
    Thomas Scheidegger - 'NETMaster'
    http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_dotnet.html - http://dnetmaster.net/
    Thomas Scheidegger, May 18, 2008
  6. Zootal Guest

    Does "support 64 bit" mean run as a 64 bit app, or just run on a 64 bit OS
    like most 32 bit programs do?

    Zootal, May 18, 2008
  7. Typically that the app runs on a 64bit OS. Most productivity apps don't
    need to be 64bit. Those that require a software or hardware driver will at
    least include those for 64bits. You have to investigate the provider's
    website for details.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 18, 2008
  8. Bender Guest

    I was talking about hardware that requires a driver.

    Bender, May 19, 2008