    Perhaps you could also suggest cheap suppliers for this software.

    Thanks

    Paul
    Scooby, Aug 11, 2004

  2. Scooby

    Jamco Guest

    you can by an oem license as long as you buy computer hardware as well, such
    as a bag of computer screws.

    Jamco, Aug 11, 2004

  3. Scooby

    Ghostrider Guest

    Jamco wrote:

    > you can by an oem license as long as you buy computer hardware as well, such
    > as a bag of computer screws.

    ....perhaps not this blatantly creative. The OEM EULA
    allows "...central processing unit, a motherboard, a
    hard drive, a power supply and a case."
    Ghostrider, Aug 12, 2004
  4. Scooby

    allanangus Guest

    an oem is not SUPPOSE to be sold without a new computer (a lot of places
    ignore this and sell them individully anyway) but as long as its not like a
    gateway computers version it will install on any pc. companies like gateway
    tie the copy to one pc or one model of pc so it cant be installed on another
    computer but an originall windows oem will install on any pc.

    allan

    allanangus, Aug 12, 2004
  5. Scooby

    Scooby Guest

    "allanangus" <> wrote in message
    > an oem is not SUPPOSE to be sold without a new computer (a lot of places
    > ignore this and sell them individully anyway) but as long as its not like

    > gateway computers version it will install on any pc. companies like

    gateway
    > tie the copy to one pc or one model of pc so it cant be installed on

    another
    > computer but an originall windows oem will install on any pc.
    >

    > allan
    >
    > "Scooby" <Private> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > can someone please explain to me in layman's terms about windows OEM
    > > licensing. I've got two comp's to upgrade. They are about 3 years old.

    > My
    > > local pc supply shop can sell me full OEM XP Pro licenses for £99.

    Thing
    > is
    > > I was under the impression that you were only allowed to install these

    on
    > > brand new machines, and that if you bought a new machine, you could not
    > > remove XP from the old system and install it on the new one. Is my
    > > understanding correct? If so is there any way around this?
    > >
    > > Perhaps you could also suggest cheap suppliers for this software.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Paul

    Thanks guys
    Scooby, Aug 12, 2004
  6. Scooby

    Puzzled Guest

    OEM =Original Equipment Manufactuer
    Basically, (and as you state £99 sterling) we will explain
    in Brit speak..........
    Retailers such as TIME or PC World will supply a PC
    with WindowsXP PRE-Installed.
    They sell PC's as Packages, So "model supadupa" will be
    marketed with thousands with the exact same specification.
    MS was getting pissed-off with all the piracy of it's precious
    Windows. So........
    With WinXP it scripted so that it "locked" to a specific PC
    and to a specific configuration..............
    Basically, WinXP will tolerate a max of four hardware upgrades
    before it deems it to be a diff PC and ceases to function, and
    you have to contact MS for an unlock code, and prove you are
    the rightful licencee.............
    Also, if you format and REinstall a pre-set number of times
    with an Original copy of WinXP, the same thing happens after
    a set 4 online registrations.............
    You have to contact MS to prove you are the "rightful" licencee.
    With OEM retailers, WinXP is licensed for a specific production
    run, a Retailer such as TIME will pay approx £2 per PC to pre-
    install a "version" of WinXP on (for example) 5000 PC's of
    exactly the same spec.
    This "version" is stored in a partition on each PC.
    The user/purchaser is allowed the oppotunity to burn
    the "version" to dvd to free up disk space and "undo"
    the partition (Usually 4-5gb)
    You are being offered a "pre-defined" version of WinXP
    I would NOT advise you to take up this offer, UNLESS...
    It is an "OEM WinXP version" that matches exactly your PC,
    and even in that instance, how can you be sure that the
    Original version on whatever OEM's batch PC hasn't gone
    through the multiple registration process??
    My opinion is - AVOID, it is burned from "pre-installed
    partition" on a PC that someone has probably registered.
    MS can be very annoyed and have been known to take legal
    action against individuals.............
    Buy a legit copy is my advice, though it has to be said, there
    are claims for workable cracks for WinXP - but I have never
    tried them.

    Puzzled, Aug 12, 2004