windows nwtworking question, please help !

Discussion in 'General Computer Support' started by xtantaudio, Aug 8, 2008.

  1. xtantaudio

    xtantaudio

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    hello,

    I have searched high and low, and cannot find an answer that works.

    I have 8 computers on a network. some old, some newer, all running windows XP or vista, all with shared file folders, etc... all computers are either hardwired to the router using Cat 5e cable, or using the wireless feature of the router. all computers have static IP addresses and have access to the internet.

    there are 3 workgroup names on the network. 3 computers are on the "home" workgroup, another 3 computers are on a workgroup named "office" and 2 computers are on a workgroup named "personal".

    HERE IS THE PROBLEM / ISSUE:

    I want to be able to sit a any computer in the house and look at ALL workgroups and their respective computers, move and change files on any computer across different computers with different workgroup names. When I open the "My Network Places" folder in windows XP, and try to view the "Entire Network" option, I can only see the computers in that computers respective workgroup.

    Everyone tells me that you have to change the name of the computer that Im usings workgroup name to match the workgroup name of the workgroup that I want to view. That is not only dumb, it is a waste of time. IF that were the case and I really had to do that to view computers in a different workgroup, well, it's just plane dumb as sh*t.

    and please, before anyone tells me that I should just run a solid network structure with a dedicated server runing server 2003 and everything else, it is not an option, due to cost, etc.... There HAS to be a way to do what I want to do without having to change my current setup.

    Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

    Thank you

    Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
    xtantaudio, Aug 8, 2008