Windows. not enough memory Prob

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Col^, Sep 3, 2003.

  1. Col^

    Col^ Guest

    On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 12:48:58 +1200, "Skippy" <> wrote:

    >Hey guys
    >Every time I open up a Compose windows in Out looks express it windows
    >gives me an Not enough memory error message.
    >
    >Its Athlon 1 ghz, 256meg DDR ram, 40 gig Hdd
    >
    >So I doubt that there is an issue with RAM. Not that its only outlook
    >express taht does this
    >
    >Any Ideas ??

    You still got the box the computer arrived in ?

    --

    Col

    Col's law.
    Thinly sliced cabbage..
    Col^, Sep 3, 2003

  2. Col^

    StuM Guest

    "Skippy" <> wrote in message
    > Hey guys
    > Every time I open up a Compose windows in Out looks express it windows
    > gives me an Not enough memory error message.
    >
    > Its Athlon 1 ghz, 256meg DDR ram, 40 gig Hdd
    >
    > So I doubt that there is an issue with RAM. Not that its only outlook
    > express taht does this
    >
    > Any Ideas ??

    Increase your swapfile size?

    StuM.
    StuM, Sep 3, 2003

  3. Col^

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <qda5b.803$>,
    says...
    > Hey guys
    > Every time I open up a Compose windows in Out looks express it windows
    > gives me an Not enough memory error message.
    >
    > Its Athlon 1 ghz, 256meg DDR ram, 40 gig Hdd
    >
    > So I doubt that there is an issue with RAM. Not that its only outlook
    > express taht does this
    >
    > Any Ideas ??

    Blaster worm.

    --
    Duncan
    T-Boy, Sep 3, 2003
  4. Col^

    StuM Guest

    > > > So I doubt that there is an issue with RAM. Not that its only outlook
    > > > express taht does this
    > > >
    > > > Any Ideas ??

    > > Increase your swapfile size?
    > >
    > > StuM.
    > >

    > I cant find the Swap file thing anywhere

    What OS you using?
    StuM, Sep 3, 2003
  5. On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 12:16:18 +1200, StuM wrote:

    > Increase your swapfile size?

    This isn't as silly as it sounds. When the swapfile is set past 1Gb, the
    machine will _dramatically_ reducing its paging to disk.

    With no swapfile set, any tempfiles are being created/destroyed in
    c:\win(nt|dows)\temp, and that's why win9* boxes always need
    defragmenting. On NT it just impairs performance.

    --
    There are 2 sorts of email opt-in lists:
    2: Fraud
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Sep 3, 2003
  6. Col^

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Enkidu" wrote
    > >Every time I open up a Compose windows in Out looks express it windows
    > >gives me an Not enough memory error message.
    > >Any Ideas ??
    > >

    > Your machine is under specced. You should have at least a 2gig, at
    > least 3/4 GB RAM but your disk is probably just big enough.

    eh!?
    T.N.O., Sep 3, 2003
  7. Col^

    Stewart Gray Guest

    Like t-boy says, this is one of problems you can have when you have the
    blaster worm.

    Skippy, Sep 8, 2003
  9. Col^

    Skippy Guest

    Skippy, Sep 9, 2003
  10. Col^

    Dogg Guest

    What OS are you using?

    Dogg, Sep 9, 2003
  11. Col^

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 12:48:58 +1200, "Skippy" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hey guys
    > >Every time I open up a Compose windows in Out looks express it windows
    > >gives me an Not enough memory error message.
    > >
    > >Its Athlon 1 ghz, 256meg DDR ram, 40 gig Hdd
    > >
    > >So I doubt that there is an issue with RAM. Not that its only outlook
    > >express taht does this
    > >
    > >Any Ideas ??
    > >

    > Your machine is under specced. You should have at least a 2gig, at
    > least 3/4 GB RAM but your disk is probably just big enough.

    Bollocks
    Mainlander, Sep 9, 2003