Windows not allowing me to connect to Wi-Fi network

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Sep 4, 2011.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I have a laptop running Windows XP Pro sp3. I am trying to connect to
    a WPA/WPA2-Personal (PSK) Wireless Network but the box I need to enter
    the key in on the laptop will not allow a key that is 64 characters in
    length which is the length of this network key. Do you know why and
    what the problem/issue is?

    I've had trouble trying to use WiFi connection on this Toshiba Laptop
    ever since I got it almost two years ago. It has never worked
    properly. I did briefly established an ad-hoc wireless connection
    which worked well for five or six months but I always had to have the
    desktop switched on to use it and that connection eventually stopped
    working. Now I am trying to estalish connection to the ADSL2 WiFi
    router. My Android phone connects as does another iPhone in the home
    but I have had no joy so far connecting the latop either using the
    Microsoft software or Toshibas software.

    Any ideas apart from never buying a Trashiba again?

    Cheers,
    John

    John, Sep 4, 2011

  2. John

    Paul Guest

    John wrote:
    > I have a laptop running Windows XP Pro sp3. I am trying to connect to
    > a WPA/WPA2-Personal (PSK) Wireless Network but the box I need to enter
    > the key in on the laptop will not allow a key that is 64 characters in
    > length which is the length of this network key. Do you know why and
    > what the problem/issue is?
    >
    > I've had trouble trying to use WiFi connection on this Toshiba Laptop
    > ever since I got it almost two years ago. It has never worked
    > properly. I did briefly established an ad-hoc wireless connection
    > which worked well for five or six months but I always had to have the
    > desktop switched on to use it and that connection eventually stopped
    > working. Now I am trying to estalish connection to the ADSL2 WiFi
    > router. My Android phone connects as does another iPhone in the home
    > but I have had no joy so far connecting the latop either using the
    > Microsoft software or Toshibas software.
    >
    > Any ideas apart from never buying a Trashiba again?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > John

    That's what I probably would have tried - Wireless Zero Config from Microsoft,
    versus the Toshiba software.

    As I understand it, there would be a basic driver, like some flavor of NDIS,
    for low level access to the hardware. So you'd probably need to install that
    much of it in any case. In the Linux world, they even "steal" such drivers
    (i.e. ndiswrapper) to get the same kind of hardware access.

    What model of Toshiba is it ?

    Laptop companies generally don't make the wireless chips, and it's possible
    you could find another company hosting drivers or software for the
    miniPCI card or whatever form the wireless takes.

    You could try Belarc Advisor, and see if you can get a name for the Wifi
    hardware.

    There is the old free version of Everest, but it requires too much manual
    interpretation to figure out hardware. You need pci.ids and usb.ids info,
    to convert the VEN/DEV or VID/PID numbers reported by Everest, into device
    names. (That's necessary, because the database inside Free Everest, is now six
    years old.)

    http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

    http://pciids.sourceforge.net/pci.ids

    http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids

    There are probably other solutions out there, to ID the hardware.
    Running a Linux LiveCD, and using "lspci" and "lsusb" is another option
    for hardware identification.

    Paul

    Paul, Sep 5, 2011