    talking to each other with Windows Networking. TCP/IP is okay though, it's just
    the normal Windows file and print sharing that's not going.

    Any ideas where I should start looking?

    Craig Shore, May 14, 2004

  2. On Sat, 15 May 2004 06:07:26 +1200, in message
    Craig Shore wrote:

    > After running Windows Update the other day my two computers are no longer
    > talking to each other with Windows Networking. TCP/IP is okay though, it's just
    > the normal Windows file and print sharing that's not going.
    >
    > Any ideas where I should start looking?

    Microsoft knowledge base. I saw some mention of that there the other
    day when I was looking for something else.
    --

    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    Distribution site for 2004 Pricelessware CD.
    E-Mail me for details.

    - Grow your own dope...plant a politician!

    Nicolaas Hawkins, May 14, 2004

  3. Craig Shore

    Bok Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > After running Windows Update the other day my two computers are no longer
    > talking to each other with Windows Networking. TCP/IP is okay though, it's just
    > the normal Windows file and print sharing that's not going.
    >
    > Any ideas where I should start looking?

    You could try looking in the event log for errors.

    Bok, May 15, 2004
  4. Craig Shore

    MarkH Guest

    Craig Shore <> wrote in

    > After running Windows Update the other day my two computers are no
    > longer talking to each other with Windows Networking. TCP/IP is okay
    > though, it's just the normal Windows file and print sharing that's not
    > going.
    >
    > Any ideas where I should start looking?

    Check the properties of the LAN connection. The update may have improved
    the security on the PC by turning on the firewall (advanced tab of TCP
    properties).

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, May 15, 2004
  5. Craig Shore

    steve Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > After running Windows Update the other day my two computers are no longer
    > talking to each other with Windows Networking. TCP/IP is okay though, it's just
    > the normal Windows file and print sharing that's not going.
    >
    > Any ideas where I should start looking?

    I had exactly this happen after applying patches to a new Win98SE system
    this week. I was trying to bring it up to date....

    So I wiped the system and re-installed....and avoided the patches. I
    don't use MS IE or Outlook Express anyway....so I have no interest in
    updating them. I DO apply the IDE cache patch as it is almost essential
    on 2GHz PCs with fast hard drives....They shutdown so fast you can
    cabbage the system first time out unless you get this patch on.

    I have wondered if Microsoft would start introducing "errors" into the
    Win9x support in an effort to force people to upgrade.

    steve, May 15, 2004
  6. Craig Shore

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sat, 15 May 2004 23:23:18 +1200, steve <steve@mozilla-thunderbird0.6.org.nz>
    wrote:

    >Craig Shore wrote:
    >> After running Windows Update the other day my two computers are no longer
    >> talking to each other with Windows Networking. TCP/IP is okay though, it's just
    >> the normal Windows file and print sharing that's not going.
    >>
    >> Any ideas where I should start looking?

    >I had exactly this happen after applying patches to a new Win98SE system
    >this week. I was trying to bring it up to date....
    >
    >So I wiped the system and re-installed....and avoided the patches. I
    >don't use MS IE or Outlook Express anyway....so I have no interest in
    >updating them.

    Some of the updates said they needed to be applied to the above even if you
    don't use them as the risk was still there.

    Craig Shore, May 16, 2004
  7. Craig Shore

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sat, 15 May 2004 08:23:29 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 15 May 2004 06:07:26 +1200, in message
    >Craig Shore wrote:
    >
    >> After running Windows Update the other day my two computers are no longer
    >> talking to each other with Windows Networking. TCP/IP is okay though, it's just
    >> the normal Windows file and print sharing that's not going.
    >>
    >> Any ideas where I should start looking?

    >Microsoft knowledge base. I saw some mention of that there the other
    >day when I was looking for something else.

    I still can't find what I need on the MS site, and can't solve my
    problem. One thing I have discovered, when I open Windows Explorer,
    click on Entire Network, then on Microsoft Windows Network
    it takes ages before MSHOME comes up (30 secs?) then double clicking
    on that again takes ages before it comes up with the error

    Mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
    network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out
    if you have access permissions.
    The list of servers for this server is not currently available.

    I tried removing Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Print
    sharing from the network card, then added them in again and ran the
    network setup wizzard thing, but it still won't go.

    Craig Shore, May 16, 2004
  8. In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sat, 15 May 2004 08:23:29 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Sat, 15 May 2004 06:07:26 +1200, in message
    > >Craig Shore wrote:
    > >
    > >> After running Windows Update the other day my two computers are no longer
    > >> talking to each other with Windows Networking. TCP/IP is okay though, it's just
    > >> the normal Windows file and print sharing that's not going.
    > >>
    > >> Any ideas where I should start looking?

    > >Microsoft knowledge base. I saw some mention of that there the other
    > >day when I was looking for something else.

    > I still can't find what I need on the MS site, and can't solve my
    > problem. One thing I have discovered, when I open Windows Explorer,
    > click on Entire Network, then on Microsoft Windows Network
    > it takes ages before MSHOME comes up (30 secs?) then double clicking
    > on that again takes ages before it comes up with the error
    >
    > Mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
    > network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out
    > if you have access permissions.
    > The list of servers for this server is not currently available.
    >
    > I tried removing Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Print
    > sharing from the network card, then added them in again and ran the
    > network setup wizzard thing, but it still won't go.

    What protocol are you using?

    Does XP's personal firewall [or any other firewall you are using] block
    connections from other computers in the network? I know that Zonealarm
    can.

    Patrick Dunford, May 17, 2004
  9. Craig Shore

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 17 May 2004 12:54:29 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> On Sat, 15 May 2004 08:23:29 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >On Sat, 15 May 2004 06:07:26 +1200, in message

    >> >Microsoft knowledge base. I saw some mention of that there the other
    >> >day when I was looking for something else.

    >> I still can't find what I need on the MS site, and can't solve my
    >> problem. One thing I have discovered, when I open Windows Explorer,
    >> click on Entire Network, then on Microsoft Windows Network
    >> it takes ages before MSHOME comes up (30 secs?) then double clicking
    >> on that again takes ages before it comes up with the error
    >>
    >> Mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
    >> network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out
    >> if you have access permissions.
    >> The list of servers for this server is not currently available.
    >>
    >> I tried removing Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Print
    >> sharing from the network card, then added them in again and ran the
    >> network setup wizzard thing, but it still won't go.

    >What protocol are you using?
    >
    >Does XP's personal firewall [or any other firewall you are using] block
    >connections from other computers in the network? I know that Zonealarm
    >can.

    XP's firewall isn't on, and Sygate Personal Firewall has the Network
    Neighbourhood completley enabled.

    Craig Shore, May 17, 2004
  10. Craig Shore

    Mr Scebe Guest

    "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message

    > XP's firewall isn't on, and Sygate Personal Firewall has the Network
    > Neighbourhood completley enabled.

    Try to connect to a network resource using the IP address of the other PC
    ie: net use \\192.168.0.1\share

    This will determine whether the problem lies within LANManager or not. You
    don't have an LMHosts file with out of date data?

    Also at the command prompt, type netstat -na which will show you what ports
    your PC is listening on.

    Report your findings, and we can diagnose it further from there.

    --
    Mr Scebe
    "Never trust a woman or a government"

    Mr Scebe, May 17, 2004
  11. Craig Shore

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 17 May 2004 19:08:40 +1200, "Mr Scebe" <> wrote:

    >"Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> XP's firewall isn't on, and Sygate Personal Firewall has the Network
    >> Neighbourhood completley enabled.

    >Try to connect to a network resource using the IP address of the other PC
    >ie: net use \\192.168.0.1\share

    This machine (the one with the problem) is 192.168.1.2.
    The ADSL router is 192.168.1.1
    The other computer (laptop) is 192.168.1.3

    C:\Documents and Settings\user>net use \\192.168.1.3\share
    System error 53 has occurred.

    The network path was not found.

    C:\Documents and Settings\user>

    >This will determine whether the problem lies within LANManager or not. You
    >don't have an LMHosts file with out of date data?

    Don't know. I tried unticking the Enable LMHOSTS Lookup checkbox just now but
    no joy.

    >Also at the command prompt, type netstat -na which will show you what ports
    >your PC is listening on.
    >
    >Report your findings, and we can diagnose it further from there.

    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

    C:\Documents and Settings\user>netstat -na

    Active Connections

    Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
    TCP 0.0.0.0:80 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    TCP 0.0.0.0:135 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    TCP 0.0.0.0:445 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    TCP 0.0.0.0:1025 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    TCP 0.0.0.0:1028 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    TCP 0.0.0.0:1097 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    TCP 0.0.0.0:1403 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    TCP 0.0.0.0:5000 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    TCP 0.0.0.0:8010 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    TCP 192.168.1.2:139 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    TCP 192.168.1.2:1097 205.188.12.4:5190 ESTABLISHED
    TCP 192.168.1.2:1403 202.20.93.13:119 ESTABLISHED
    UDP 0.0.0.0:445 *:*
    UDP 0.0.0.0:1027 *:*
    UDP 0.0.0.0:1033 *:*
    UDP 0.0.0.0:1043 *:*
    UDP 0.0.0.0:1207 *:*
    UDP 127.0.0.1:123 *:*
    UDP 127.0.0.1:1037 *:*
    UDP 127.0.0.1:1040 *:*
    UDP 127.0.0.1:1900 *:*
    UDP 192.168.1.2:123 *:*
    UDP 192.168.1.2:137 *:*
    UDP 192.168.1.2:138 *:*
    UDP 192.168.1.2:1900 *:*

    C:\Documents and Settings\user>

    Craig Shore, May 17, 2004
  12. Craig Shore

    wrote:

    > >"Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >> XP's firewall isn't on, and Sygate Personal Firewall has the Network
    > >> Neighbourhood completley enabled.

    > >Try to connect to a network resource using the IP address of the other PC
    > >ie: net use \\192.168.0.1\share

    > This machine (the one with the problem) is 192.168.1.2.
    > The ADSL router is 192.168.1.1
    > The other computer (laptop) is 192.168.1.3
    >

    > C:\Documents and Settings\user>net use \\192.168.1.3\share
    > System error 53 has occurred.

    Sorry, maybe i wasn't clear. You need to put \\192.168.1.3\<share> where
    <share> is the name of the resource you would normally connect to (ie: c$ or
    users or whatever)

    The rest of it seems ok, but you have some strange ports open. Make sure
    your firewall is functioning properly because 80, 139 and 445 are all
    exploitable from outside.

    Also type net view and nbtstat -n on the command line. This will give you
    more info to help resolve.

    Let us know how you get on.

    Mr Scebe, May 17, 2004
  13. Craig Shore

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 17 May 2004 22:15:43 +1200, "Mr Scebe" <>
    wrote:

    >Let us know how you get on.

    Got it sorted I think. It was the dumb user that was the cause :)

    In the firewall I have all the MS stuff that tries to access the net
    blocked. That includes NDIS User Mode I/O Driver.
    I guess when you tell the firewall to enanble the network
    neighbourhood it allows the necessary ports to operate in NDIS even
    though it's blocked. What happened was when I updated Windows it
    updated NDIS. The firewall keeps an eye on all dll's and apps, and if
    any change it alerts you and asks for authority to allow the traffic
    through. I thought that one was blocked anyway, why was it asking me
    and pressed No. It must have been asking because it had changed and
    some of it is allowed access because of the Network Neighbourhood
    being enabled.

    Craig Shore, May 17, 2004