    Thank you.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 23, 2005

  2. ~misfit~

    froggy Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:02:13 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > I have a friend who is having problems getting an XP and a 98 machine to
    > 'talk' to each other using TCP/IP. They took it to the local shop and the
    > guy at the shop enabled NETBUI. Not what he wanted, he can't ping one
    > machine from the other although he can sometimes see the drives. He wants to
    > be able to play a game that requires TCP/IP.
    >
    > He's just using a crossover cable ATM, I was wondering, could someone point
    > me to a good windows networking how-to site? I've seen a couple referenced
    > here but never bookmarked them.
    >
    > Thank you.

    not sure if this helps... but...
    he needs to check that
    1) both computers have tcp/ip installed (very likely)
    2) he needs to have both computers using the same subnet mask ( usually
    255.255.255.0 or similar)
    3)he needs to assign both computers different ips but on the same subnet
    (I'd suggest something like 192.168.15.21 for one, and 192.168.15.11 for
    the second, although anything in the 192.168.*.* range is ok as long as
    the second to last octet is the same on a 255.255.255.0 mask)

    shit.. I have to look up where to change the damn settings..
    ifconfig eth0 doesnt work on windows boxes for some reason :p
    but its properties for the adapter in control panel IIRC
    (if ive only added to the confusion plz disregard my post )
    oh one thing.. he can check all his settings by typing
    ipconfig /all
    at a command prompt

    froggy, Jan 23, 2005

  3. ~misfit~

    David Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > I have a friend who is having problems getting an XP and a 98 machine to
    > 'talk' to each other using TCP/IP. They took it to the local shop and the
    > guy at the shop enabled NETBUI. Not what he wanted, he can't ping one
    > machine from the other although he can sometimes see the drives. He wants to
    > be able to play a game that requires TCP/IP.
    >
    > He's just using a crossover cable ATM, I was wondering, could someone point
    > me to a good windows networking how-to site? I've seen a couple referenced
    > here but never bookmarked them.
    >
    > Thank you.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Normally the XP networking wizard does a good job for simple stuff like
    that, it will also create an EXE which will fit on a floppy (from
    memory) to set up the other (non-XP) machine.

    David, Jan 23, 2005
  4. ~misfit~

    froggy Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:08:00 +1300, froggy wrote:

    > On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:02:13 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> I have a friend who is having problems getting an XP and a 98 machine to
    >> 'talk' to each other using TCP/IP. They took it to the local shop and the
    >> guy at the shop enabled NETBUI. Not what he wanted, he can't ping one
    >> machine from the other although he can sometimes see the drives. He wants to
    >> be able to play a game that requires TCP/IP.
    >>
    >> He's just using a crossover cable ATM, I was wondering, could someone point
    >> me to a good windows networking how-to site? I've seen a couple referenced
    >> here but never bookmarked them.
    >>
    >> Thank you.

    > not sure if this helps... but...
    > he needs to check that
    > 1) both computers have tcp/ip installed (very likely)
    > 2) he needs to have both computers using the same subnet mask ( usually
    > 255.255.255.0 or similar)
    > 3)he needs to assign both computers different ips but on the same subnet
    > (I'd suggest something like 192.168.15.21 for one, and 192.168.15.11 for
    > the second, although anything in the 192.168.*.* range is ok as long as
    > the second to last octet is the same on a 255.255.255.0 mask)
    >
    > shit.. I have to look up where to change the damn settings..
    > ifconfig eth0 doesnt work on windows boxes for some reason :p
    > but its properties for the adapter in control panel IIRC
    > (if ive only added to the confusion plz disregard my post )
    > oh one thing.. he can check all his settings by typing
    > ipconfig /all
    > at a command prompt

    just to add further to my little world of confusion
    on the 9x machine
    (assuming the network adapters' drivers have been installed etc )
    right click on the "My Network places" icon
    click properties
    on the 'Configuration' tab on the window that pops up
    double click 'tcp/ip' for the appropriate adapter
    on the 'Ip address' tab on the window that pops up
    fill in the appropriate values (ip addy, subnet mask )
    gateway address isnt necessary
    click ok
    click ok
    reboot (gotta love windows)

    im assuming the xp setup is similar ( I dont have a copy of XP here to
    double check on )
    although I checked on win 2k and its the local area connection icon in my
    network places

    froggy, Jan 23, 2005
  5. Steve Marshall, Jan 23, 2005
  6. ~misfit~

    Adder Guest

    In article <> in nz.comp on
    Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:08:00 +1300, froggy
    <> says...
    > On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:02:13 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    > > I have a friend who is having problems getting an XP and a 98 machine to
    > > 'talk' to each other using TCP/IP. They took it to the local shop and the
    > > guy at the shop enabled NETBUI. Not what he wanted, he can't ping one
    > > machine from the other although he can sometimes see the drives. He wants to
    > > be able to play a game that requires TCP/IP.
    > >
    > > He's just using a crossover cable ATM, I was wondering, could someone point
    > > me to a good windows networking how-to site? I've seen a couple referenced
    > > here but never bookmarked them.
    > >
    > > Thank you.

    > not sure if this helps... but...
    > he needs to check that
    > 1) both computers have tcp/ip installed (very likely)
    > 2) he needs to have both computers using the same subnet mask ( usually
    > 255.255.255.0 or similar)
    > 3)he needs to assign both computers different ips but on the same subnet
    > (I'd suggest something like 192.168.15.21 for one, and 192.168.15.11 for
    > the second, although anything in the 192.168.*.* range is ok as long as
    > the second to last octet is the same on a 255.255.255.0 mask)
    >
    > shit.. I have to look up where to change the damn settings..
    > ifconfig eth0 doesnt work on windows boxes for some reason :p
    > but its properties for the adapter in control panel IIRC
    > (if ive only added to the confusion plz disregard my post )
    > oh one thing.. he can check all his settings by typing
    > ipconfig /all
    > at a command prompt

    I have had a 98 and XP box set up together for the past week

    basically the XP machine needs to have its own IP address assigned which
    goto control panel, select network, select the adapter, Properties,
    Select TCP/IP protocol and change the setting to a fixed IP address and
    also set the subnet mask (it defaults to 255 255 255 0 which is correct)

    Then in the control panel of the XP machine run the network setup wizard
    (SP2 has it, not sure if older versioons do) and set the machine name and
    workgroup name as appropriate.

    The Windows firewall needs to have an exception added for File and Print
    Sharing which is normally handled by the above wizard.

    The 98 machine requires again an IP address manually assigned to the
    TCP/IP --> <NIC> binding, any fierwall such as ZA needs to have the IP
    address of the other machine put into the trusted zone.

    Once rebooted both machines XP should say it is now connected to the LAN.

    Adder, Jan 23, 2005
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~, Jan 23, 2005
  8. In article <>,
    says...
    > Steve Marshall wrote:
    > > "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    > >> I was wondering, could someone point
    > >> me to a good windows networking how-to site?

    > > http://www.homenethelp.com/home-network.asp
    > > http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp
    > > http://www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/wxpwin9x.html

    > Thanks. I'll pass this on.
    >
    > Cheers.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    I was going to recommend www.helmig.com - but I see that that is now
    www.wown.com :)

    The advice w.r.t. the WinXP networking wizard, and the floppy it creates
    to set up the other machines, is very good advice as far as I am
    concerned. You will end up with a dhcp type connection though. You can
    then go and change it over to fixed IP on the Win98 machine, if you
    want.
    Netbios protocol can be useful if you want to do printer and file
    sharing - I use it on our home network since it seems more reliable and
    quicker than emulating it over tcp/ip. Needs a special install from the
    XP CD - it's not automatically copied to the windows directory. Use
    tcp/ip for all the other stuff.
    Again, as been mentioned: make sure all firewalls know to let
    appropriate traffic through. I run Sygate on the XP machine, and I have
    _two_ rules for local traffic: I've told it to treat the lan card as
    local domain, and I've also created an advanced rule to allow all
    traffic and protocols on that mac address. I found otherwise the file
    and printer sharing, and tcp/ip would hiccup sometimes.
    Also make sure after the initial setup, to remove all unnecessary
    bindings (like file sharing on the dialup - WinXP has gotten a lot
    smarter about it than 98 was, but I still check).

    h.t.h. -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jan 23, 2005
  9. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Steve Marshall wrote:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.homenethelp.com/home-network.asp
    >>> http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp
    >>> http://www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/wxpwin9x.html

    >> Thanks. I'll pass this on.
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~

    > I was going to recommend www.helmig.com - but I see that that is now
    > www.wown.com :)
    >
    > The advice w.r.t. the WinXP networking wizard, and the floppy it
    > creates to set up the other machines, is very good advice as far as I
    > am concerned. You will end up with a dhcp type connection though. You
    > can then go and change it over to fixed IP on the Win98 machine, if
    > you want.
    > Netbios protocol can be useful if you want to do printer and file
    > sharing - I use it on our home network since it seems more reliable
    > and quicker than emulating it over tcp/ip. Needs a special install
    > from the XP CD - it's not automatically copied to the windows
    > directory. Use tcp/ip for all the other stuff.
    > Again, as been mentioned: make sure all firewalls know to let
    > appropriate traffic through. I run Sygate on the XP machine, and I
    > have _two_ rules for local traffic: I've told it to treat the lan
    > card as local domain, and I've also created an advanced rule to allow
    > all traffic and protocols on that mac address. I found otherwise the
    > file and printer sharing, and tcp/ip would hiccup sometimes.
    > Also make sure after the initial setup, to remove all unnecessary
    > bindings (like file sharing on the dialup - WinXP has gotten a lot
    > smarter about it than 98 was, but I still check).

    Cheers Peter, good stuff mate.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 23, 2005
  10. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Adder wrote:
    > In article <> in nz.comp
    > on Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:08:00 +1300, froggy
    > <> says...
    >> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:02:13 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a friend who is having problems getting an XP and a 98
    >>> machine to 'talk' to each other using TCP/IP. They took it to the
    >>> local shop and the guy at the shop enabled NETBUI. Not what he
    >>> wanted, he can't ping one machine from the other although he can
    >>> sometimes see the drives. He wants to be able to play a game that
    >>> requires TCP/IP.
    >>>
    >>> He's just using a crossover cable ATM, I was wondering, could
    >>> someone point me to a good windows networking how-to site? I've
    >>> seen a couple referenced here but never bookmarked them.
    >>>
    >>> Thank you.

    >> not sure if this helps... but...
    >> he needs to check that
    >> 1) both computers have tcp/ip installed (very likely)
    >> 2) he needs to have both computers using the same subnet mask (
    >> usually 255.255.255.0 or similar)
    >> 3)he needs to assign both computers different ips but on the same
    >> subnet (I'd suggest something like 192.168.15.21 for one, and
    >> 192.168.15.11 for the second, although anything in the 192.168.*.*
    >> range is ok as long as the second to last octet is the same on a
    >> 255.255.255.0 mask)
    >>
    >> shit.. I have to look up where to change the damn settings..
    >> ifconfig eth0 doesnt work on windows boxes for some reason :p
    >> but its properties for the adapter in control panel IIRC
    >> (if ive only added to the confusion plz disregard my post )
    >> oh one thing.. he can check all his settings by typing
    >> ipconfig /all
    >> at a command prompt

    > I have had a 98 and XP box set up together for the past week
    >
    > basically the XP machine needs to have its own IP address assigned
    > which goto control panel, select network, select the adapter,
    > Properties, Advanced
    > Select TCP/IP protocol and change the setting to a fixed IP address
    > and also set the subnet mask (it defaults to 255 255 255 0 which is
    > correct)
    >
    > Then in the control panel of the XP machine run the network setup
    > wizard (SP2 has it, not sure if older versioons do) and set the
    > machine name and workgroup name as appropriate.
    >
    > The Windows firewall needs to have an exception added for File and
    > Print Sharing which is normally handled by the above wizard.
    >
    > The 98 machine requires again an IP address manually assigned to the
    > TCP/IP --> <NIC> binding, any fierwall such as ZA needs to have the IP
    > address of the other machine put into the trusted zone.
    >
    > Once rebooted both machines XP should say it is now connected to the
    > LAN.

    Thanks a lot for this stuff guys. However, it's way over the intended
    target's head. Also, I'm unable to physically help him, he's in the US and
    I'm not. He's a gaming buddy. I just wanted to be able to point him at a
    page and say "Read that!" He's just been ripped off by a local shop for $50
    and it still doesn't work.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 23, 2005
  11. ~misfit~

    Adder Guest

    In article <> in
    nz.comp on Mon, 24 Jan 2005 00:43:44 +1300, Peter Huebner
    <> says...

    > The advice w.r.t. the WinXP networking wizard, and the floppy it creates
    > to set up the other machines, is very good advice as far as I am
    > concerned. You will end up with a dhcp type connection though. You can
    > then go and change it over to fixed IP on the Win98 machine, if you
    > want.
    > Netbios protocol can be useful if you want to do printer and file
    > sharing - I use it on our home network since it seems more reliable and
    > quicker than emulating it over tcp/ip. Needs a special install from the
    > XP CD - it's not automatically copied to the windows directory. Use
    > tcp/ip for all the other stuff.

    Netbeui is obsolete

    I have never heard of anyone having any trouble at all file and
    printsharing on TCP/IP - thisafter all is how 99% of networks are
    configured.

    Adder, Jan 24, 2005
  12. In article <>,
    says...

    > Netbeui is obsolete
    >
    > I have never heard of anyone having any trouble at all file and
    > printsharing on TCP/IP - thisafter all is how 99% of networks are
    > configured.

    Yes and no. If you network a 98 machine with an XP machine the 98
    machine often has difficulties seeing shares on the xp machine.
    There are countless discussion threads all over the web documenting
    this. (also applies to 95 and ME).
    Installing Netbeui can help solve that problem. Trust me, it's worked
    for me in a couple of situations where there was absolutely no obvious
    reason why it shouldn't've worked over tcp/ip before; but it didn't, and
    it did after I installed netbeui.
    If the Aston Martin won't go, I don't object to driving to the shops in
    a Fiat Bambino ;-)

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jan 25, 2005
  13. ~misfit~

    Axle Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    >>Netbeui is obsolete
    >>
    >>I have never heard of anyone having any trouble at all file and
    >>printsharing on TCP/IP - thisafter all is how 99% of networks are
    >>configured.
    >>

    > Yes and no. If you network a 98 machine with an XP machine the 98
    > machine often has difficulties seeing shares on the xp machine.
    > There are countless discussion threads all over the web documenting
    > this. (also applies to 95 and ME).
    > Installing Netbeui can help solve that problem. Trust me, it's worked
    > for me in a couple of situations where there was absolutely no obvious
    > reason why it shouldn't've worked over tcp/ip before; but it didn't, and
    > it did after I installed netbeui.
    > If the Aston Martin won't go, I don't object to driving to the shops in
    > a Fiat Bambino ;-)
    >
    > -P.

    I use 98 all the time, connected to both XP and Samba via TCP/IP
    The gotcha I found is that XP has to be set up with password protected
    user accounts before it works properly.

    Axle, Jan 25, 2005
  14. Axle wrote:
    > The gotcha I found is that XP has to be set up with password protected
    > user accounts before it works properly.

    really, wow, I must have found a glitch in the matrix... I have open
    shares and no passworded accounts(barring administrator(fake admin
    account with guest rights) and another(my new administrative account)
    just fine.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 25, 2005
  15. ~misfit~

    Adder Guest

    In article <> in
    nz.comp on Tue, 25 Jan 2005 13:49:12 +1300, Peter Huebner
    <> says...
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > >
    > > Netbeui is obsolete
    > >
    > > I have never heard of anyone having any trouble at all file and
    > > printsharing on TCP/IP - thisafter all is how 99% of networks are
    > > configured.
    > >

    > Yes and no. If you network a 98 machine with an XP machine the 98
    > machine often has difficulties seeing shares on the xp machine.
    > There are countless discussion threads all over the web documenting
    > this. (also applies to 95 and ME).
    > Installing Netbeui can help solve that problem. Trust me, it's worked
    > for me in a couple of situations where there was absolutely no obvious
    > reason why it shouldn't've worked over tcp/ip before; but it didn't, and
    > it did after I installed netbeui.
    > If the Aston Martin won't go, I don't object to driving to the shops in
    > a Fiat Bambino ;-)

    I have seen a lot of 98 machines accessing shares on XP machines and
    never seen any problem over TCP/IP

    Netbeui protocol is not routable, thus what may solve one problem may
    cause another

    The most likely reasson people are unable to access sahres on XP
    macvhines are ignoramce about XPs authentication reqwurments

    Adder, Jan 25, 2005
  16. ~misfit~

    Invisible Guest

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 13:49:12 +1300, Peter Huebner <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >>
    >> Netbeui is obsolete
    >>
    >> I have never heard of anyone having any trouble at all file and
    >> printsharing on TCP/IP - thisafter all is how 99% of networks are
    >> configured.
    >>

    >Yes and no. If you network a 98 machine with an XP machine the 98
    >machine often has difficulties seeing shares on the xp machine.
    >There are countless discussion threads all over the web documenting
    >this. (also applies to 95 and ME).
    >Installing Netbeui can help solve that problem. Trust me, it's worked
    >for me in a couple of situations where there was absolutely no obvious
    >reason why it shouldn't've worked over tcp/ip before; but it didn't, and
    >it did after I installed netbeui.

    Same here. I had no end of hassles with 2 x 98 & 1 XP, they just did not want to
    play with each other. After installing Netbeui, bang, action.

    Invisible, Jan 25, 2005
  17. ~misfit~

    Axle Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Axle wrote:
    >
    >> The gotcha I found is that XP has to be set up with password protected
    >> user accounts before it works properly.

    > really, wow, I must have found a glitch in the matrix... I have open
    > shares and no passworded accounts(barring administrator(fake admin
    > account with guest rights) and another(my new administrative account)
    > just fine.

    You might be right then
    Good on you super-uber-it-godboy!

    Axle, Jan 25, 2005
  18. Axle wrote:
    >>> The gotcha I found is that XP has to be set up with password
    >>> protected user accounts before it works properly.

    >> really, wow, I must have found a glitch in the matrix... I have open
    >> shares and no passworded accounts(barring administrator(fake admin
    >> account with guest rights) and another(my new administrative account)
    >> just fine.

    > You might be right then
    > Good on you super-uber-it-godboy!

    wow, another new nickname... this is starting to get hard to keep track of.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 25, 2005
  19. ~misfit~

    Axle Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> really, wow, I must have found a glitch in the matrix... I have open
    >>> shares and no passworded accounts(barring administrator(fake admin
    >>> account with guest rights) and another(my new administrative account)
    >>> just fine.

    >> You might be right then
    >> Good on you super-uber-it-godboy!

    > wow, another new nickname... this is starting to get hard to keep track of.

    This might be useful to the OP

    "Remote users cannot authenticate by using an account that has a blank
    password. This authentication is configured separately."

    Axle, Jan 25, 2005
  20. ~misfit~

    Mutlley Guest

    Peter Huebner <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >>
    >> Netbeui is obsolete
    >>
    >> I have never heard of anyone having any trouble at all file and
    >> printsharing on TCP/IP - thisafter all is how 99% of networks are
    >> configured.
    >>

    >Yes and no. If you network a 98 machine with an XP machine the 98
    >machine often has difficulties seeing shares on the xp machine.
    >There are countless discussion threads all over the web documenting
    >this. (also applies to 95 and ME).
    >Installing Netbeui can help solve that problem. Trust me, it's worked
    >for me in a couple of situations where there was absolutely no obvious
    >reason why it shouldn't've worked over tcp/ip before; but it didn't, and
    >it did after I installed netbeui.
    >If the Aston Martin won't go, I don't object to driving to the shops in
    >a Fiat Bambino ;-)
    >
    >-P.

    Agreed. Had the same results my self ..

    Mutlley, Jan 25, 2005