Windows Networking - Dial-up vs Wifi/LAN priority

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by JohnO, Apr 5, 2010.

  1. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    Hi All,

    Under windows XP, a telecom t-stick wireless adapter shows as a dial-
    up device, and the wifi and LAN connectors show in the 'LAN/high
    speed' list. Because of this I can't see any way to set the priority
    of the LAN and wifi connectors above the dial-up t-stick.

    I want the priority to be wired LAN first, then Wifi then dial-up (t-
    stick) for reasons of performance, cost and data cap.

    Unfortunately Windows wants to use the t-stick first if available -
    the worst option!

    Anyone know how to get around this? Googling shows the same question
    but no workable answers so far.

    Cheers
    JohnO

    JohnO, Apr 5, 2010

  2. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    On Apr 6, 9:07 am, JohnO <> wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Under windows XP, a telecom t-stick wireless adapter shows as a dial-
    > up device, and the wifi and LAN connectors show in the 'LAN/high
    > speed' list. Because of this I can't see any way to set the priority
    > of the LAN and wifi connectors above the dial-up t-stick.
    >
    > I want the priority to be wired LAN first, then Wifi then dial-up (t-
    > stick) for reasons of performance, cost and data cap.
    >
    > Unfortunately Windows wants to use the t-stick first if available -
    > the worst option!
    >
    > Anyone know how to get around this? Googling shows the same question
    > but no workable answers so far.
    >
    > Cheers
    > JohnO

    Hmmm, looks like I can change the interface metric with ROUTE CHANGE
    command.

    If I change the dial-up metric from 1 to 22 to be above the LAN
    adapter (and also change the LAN adapter to metric 1 it stops working
    all together, and it also seems to revert the dial-up adapter to it's
    original settings next time it is connected....

    JohnO, Apr 5, 2010