Windows network disappears from XP machines

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Ripper, Jun 2, 2009.

  1. Ripper

    Ripper Guest

    I have 2 desktops, 1 Vista Biz, 1 XP Pro and 3 laptops, 2 Vista Home
    Premium, 1 XP Pro. All have latest service packs and updates. All connected
    (laptops wirelessly) all working and seeing each other (for months) - until
    today at about 3 pm. All of sudden the two XP machines can't find MSHOME.

    "MSHOME is not accessible. You might not have permissions to use this
    network resource. Contact the admin of this server to find out if you have
    access permissions. The network path was not found."

    The XP laptop has 2 mapped drives to directories on the XP desktop and 1 to
    the Vista Biz machine. One of the mapped drives continued to work even after
    I got the error message, but now it doesn't work. All machines have
    ZoneAlarm Free; I shut it down on the two XP machines with no change.
    Rebooted everything several times. I can log into the router from the
    suspect machines and all machines can ping each other, but that pesky MSHOME
    just won't show on the 2 XP machines. I'm scanning both with AVG presently
    but it's just finding cookies. I'm not sure what to check for because I know
    I have the connection and all the machines can access the internet too. I
    reran the network setup wizard again on the suspect machines with no change.
    Please help!

    Rip
    Ripper, Jun 2, 2009

  2. Ripper

    Jack-MVP Guest

    Hi
    Keep running the Network wizard when there is malfunction does not make
    things no better.
    Maybe this can Help, Make sure that the Software Firewall on each computer
    allows free local traffic. If you use 3rd party Firewall On, Vista/XP Native
    Firewall should be Off, and the active Firewall has to adjusted to your
    Network IP numbers on what is some time called the Trusted Zone (consult
    your 3rd Party Firewall instructions.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Windows XP File Sharing -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Note: Every thing need to be checked, thinking that because it worked
    before, or and because One did not do any thing means that there is No
    reason to check all the settings is a misleading approach.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack-MVP, Jun 2, 2009

  3. NetworkPlaces does not "prove" nor does it "disprove" networkability.

    You can connect to any machine from a command prompt or the "Run" line by
    doing
    \\homer
    or
    \\bart
    or
    \\lisa
    (the workgroup name does *not* even have to match)

    NetworkPlaces is just a "display" of the contents of the workgroup's Master
    Browse List. Like Highlander,...there can be only one,...and the machine
    that possesses it must be running. The machine that gets used for this is
    "decided" among the machines by having a "Browser Election" and the winner
    is the one that holds the Browse List. If you keep turing your machines on
    and off this will always be in turmoil. If "winner" machine is not running
    or gets blocked by running a firewall on it then all the machines can get
    into an "argument" over who is the real Master Browser and therefore "argue"
    about which browse List is the *real* browse list. This obviously causes
    inconsistant "views" in NetworkPlaces from different machines.

    Microsoft have been trying for years to eliminate the whole use of
    NetworkPlaces due to problems like this,...but unfortunately they have not
    been able to *ween* people off of it. I have been working where I am for 10
    years (since NT40 domains) and my system of about 100 machines has never in
    ten years consistantly showed all the machine in NetworkPlaces, and on top
    of that has not consistantly showed the same machine everytime. We just
    simply don't use it.

    On each of your machines place a Shortcut for the other two machine into the
    Desktop Folder within the All Users Profile and they will show no matter who
    logges into the machine. To create a shortcut open Windows Explorer and
    type \\machinename in the Address Bar. When it loads drag and drop the icon
    in the Address Bar to a conveinent place. Once you have collected Shortcuts
    for each machine then copy them where the need to be.

    Here is some information on the whole Network Browsing mechanism:

    191611 - Symptoms of Multihomed Browsers
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;191611
    (Even a simple PC with a VPN connection to somewhere else is considered
    MulitHomed)

    188305 - Troubleshooting the Microsoft Computer Browser Service
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;188305

    --
    Phillip Windell

    Phillip Windell, Jun 5, 2009