    Newsman Guest

    I get the following error message when trying to play avi or mpeg files with Windows Media player. Why?

    "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."
    Newsman, Feb 19, 2007

  2. For MPEG2 files you need DVD decoding software installed on your PC...
    WinDVD and PowerDVD are the two most popular. (www.intervideo.com and
    www.gocyberlink.com)

    For AVI files, you'll need the codec with which the file was compressed...
    usually divx or xvid. www.divx.com
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    http://www.coribright.com/windows

    Cari \(MS-MVP\), Feb 19, 2007

  3. Hi, Newsman.

    Which version of Media Player? Which version of WinXP x64 or Vista x64?

    I can't locate any .mpeg file on my HD just now, but an .avi file plays just
    fine in WMP 11 on Vista Ultimate x64. All I do is click on the .avi file
    and WMP loads and plays it. This particular .avi file was made by a Fuji
    FinePix 5200 camera.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    (Running Windows Mail in Vista Ultimate x64)

    R. C. White, MVP, Feb 19, 2007
  4. Newsman

    Newsman Guest

    Windows Media Player 11 and using Windows XP Professional 64bit Edition.

    Newsman, Feb 20, 2007
  5. Newsman

    Newsman Guest

    I installed divx but it still doesn't work. Is there a media player out
    there that is better than the Windows player? Could it be that the 64bit
    version of XP is the reason?

    Newsman, Feb 20, 2007
  6. Divx works great in my 64 bit Windows XP. Although the Divx converter
    doesn't work in Vista (32 or 64 bit) it still plays the AVIs fine.

    Cari \(MS-MVP\), Feb 20, 2007

    =?Utf-8?B?d21w?=, Apr 23, 2007