Windows multi-CPU "Set Affinity" can this be applied as a saved setting?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Atreju, Aug 18, 2005.

  1. Atreju

    Atreju Guest

    Can I set a program to always use only CPU 0 (or CPU 1, etc.)?

    I know in the taskmgr I can "Set Affinity" on a program so it only
    uses whichever CPU(s) I specify.

    The problem is there are a few programs I use that I always want to
    specify one CPU. It's annoying to always have to do it in taskmgr.

    Is this something that can be bound to that executable?

    I have not found anything in the shortcut file that would allow this
    customization.

    Thanks.

    PS In case anyone's wondering, this is because some of my video
    editing / DVD rip / encoding software overheats my CPU if left with HT
    using both CPUs. There's no real advantage, because even with only 1
    CPU being used it goes at the same rate and takes the same amount of
    time. It just doesn't overheat, which I prefer ;-)

    I'd like to set those applications to always use just CPU 0.

    ---Atreju---

    Atreju, Aug 18, 2005

  2. Atreju

    Guest

    Atreju <> wrote:

    |>Can I set a program to always use only CPU 0 (or CPU 1, etc.)?
    |>
    |>I know in the taskmgr I can "Set Affinity" on a program so it only
    |>uses whichever CPU(s) I specify.
    |>
    |>The problem is there are a few programs I use that I always want to
    |>specify one CPU. It's annoying to always have to do it in taskmgr.
    |>
    |>Is this something that can be bound to that executable?
    |>
    |>I have not found anything in the shortcut file that would allow this
    |>customization.
    |>
    |>Thanks.

    Might try adding /ONECPU at the end of your boot.ini string - This
    would be a boot up option , can't just turn it on or off.

    http://www.sysinternals.com/Information/bootini.html

    --

    http://tinypic.com/almbfr.jpg

    , Aug 18, 2005

  3. Atreju

    Toolman Tim Guest

    wrote:
    > Atreju <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Can I set a program to always use only CPU 0 (or CPU 1, etc.)?
    >>>
    >>> I know in the taskmgr I can "Set Affinity" on a program so it only
    >>> uses whichever CPU(s) I specify.
    >>>
    >>> The problem is there are a few programs I use that I always want to
    >>> specify one CPU. It's annoying to always have to do it in taskmgr.
    >>>
    >>> Is this something that can be bound to that executable?
    >>>
    >>> I have not found anything in the shortcut file that would allow this
    >>> customization.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    > Might try adding /ONECPU at the end of your boot.ini string - This
    > would be a boot up option , can't just turn it on or off.
    >
    > http://www.sysinternals.com/Information/bootini.html

    That would probably not be the best option, because ALL apps would then run
    on the one CPU, instead of only limiting the problematic application to one.
    Just guessing though - I've never had the money to spend on a dual CPU
    system <g>

    --
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.

    Toolman Tim, Aug 18, 2005
  4. Atreju

    Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote:

    |> wrote:

    |>> Might try adding /ONECPU at the end of your boot.ini string - This
    |>> would be a boot up option , can't just turn it on or off.
    |>>
    |>> http://www.sysinternals.com/Information/bootini.html

    |>That would probably not be the best option, because ALL apps would then run
    |>on the one CPU, instead of only limiting the problematic application to one.
    |>Just guessing though - I've never had the money to spend on a dual CPU
    |>system <g>

    Not sure either, I've got hyper threading I can disable from the bios,
    while it's not the same everything reads it as two cpu's.

    Your right, the other cpu would be disable'd and he would have to
    reboot each time to enable the other cpu.

    I figured he could duplicate his startup string, one with /onecpu and
    the other without, then each time he boot'd up he'd have the option.
    --

    http://tinypic.com/almbfr.jpg

    , Aug 18, 2005
  5. Atreju

    Harrison Guest

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 01:01:48 GMT, Atreju <> wrote:

    >Can I set a program to always use only CPU 0 (or CPU 1, etc.)?
    >
    >I know in the taskmgr I can "Set Affinity" on a program so it only
    >uses whichever CPU(s) I specify.
    >
    >The problem is there are a few programs I use that I always want to
    >specify one CPU. It's annoying to always have to do it in taskmgr.
    >
    >Is this something that can be bound to that executable?
    >
    >I have not found anything in the shortcut file that would allow this
    >customization.
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >PS In case anyone's wondering, this is because some of my video
    >editing / DVD rip / encoding software overheats my CPU if left with HT
    >using both CPUs. There's no real advantage, because even with only 1
    >CPU being used it goes at the same rate and takes the same amount of
    >time. It just doesn't overheat, which I prefer ;-)
    >
    >I'd like to set those applications to always use just CPU 0.
    >

    >---Atreju---

    Maybe something here.
    http://www.jsifaq.com/subh/tip3500/rh3542.htm

    Harrison, Aug 18, 2005
  6. Atreju

    Toolman Tim Guest

    wrote:

    >>> That would probably not be the best option, because ALL apps would
    >>> then run on the one CPU, instead of only limiting the problematic
    >>> application to one. Just guessing though - I've never had the money
    >>> to spend on a dual CPU system <g>

    > Not sure either, I've got hyper threading I can disable from the bios,
    > while it's not the same everything reads it as two cpu's.
    >
    > Your right, the other cpu would be disable'd and he would have to
    > reboot each time to enable the other cpu.
    >
    > I figured he could duplicate his startup string, one with /onecpu and
    > the other without, then each time he boot'd up he'd have the option.

    That makes sense - sort of a psuedo dual boot.

    --
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.

    Toolman Tim, Aug 18, 2005
  7. Atreju

    Harrison Guest

    On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 22:10:24 -0400, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:

    >On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 01:01:48 GMT, Atreju <> wrote:
    >
    >>Can I set a program to always use only CPU 0 (or CPU 1, etc.)?
    >>
    >>I know in the taskmgr I can "Set Affinity" on a program so it only
    >>uses whichever CPU(s) I specify.
    >>
    >>The problem is there are a few programs I use that I always want to
    >>specify one CPU. It's annoying to always have to do it in taskmgr.
    >>
    >>Is this something that can be bound to that executable?
    >>
    >>I have not found anything in the shortcut file that would allow this
    >>customization.
    >>
    >>Thanks.
    >>
    >>PS In case anyone's wondering, this is because some of my video
    >>editing / DVD rip / encoding software overheats my CPU if left with HT
    >>using both CPUs. There's no real advantage, because even with only 1
    >>CPU being used it goes at the same rate and takes the same amount of
    >>time. It just doesn't overheat, which I prefer ;-)
    >>
    >>I'd like to set those applications to always use just CPU 0.
    >>

    >>---Atreju---

    >Maybe something here.
    >http://www.jsifaq.com/subh/tip3500/rh3542.htm

    And if you don't have access to those cd's.
    http://www.robpol86.com/?imagecfg

    Harrison, Aug 18, 2005
  8. Atreju

    Atreju Guest

    On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 18:36:27 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >That would probably not be the best option, because ALL apps would then run
    >on the one CPU, instead of only limiting the problematic application to one.
    >Just guessing though - I've never had the money to spend on a dual CPU
    >system <g>

    Correct, I don't want to turn off the second "CPU", only specify one
    to use with a specific executable.

    It is not a dual CPU system, by the way, it is a P4 with
    Hyperthreading. By turning off one of the "CPUs" you are simply
    turning off HT for that executable.

    ---Atreju---

    Atreju, Aug 18, 2005
  9. Atreju

    Guest

    Atreju <> wrote:

    |>On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 18:36:27 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    |><> wrote:
    |>
    |>>That would probably not be the best option, because ALL apps would then run
    |>>on the one CPU, instead of only limiting the problematic application to one.
    |>>Just guessing though - I've never had the money to spend on a dual CPU
    |>>system <g>

    |>Correct, I don't want to turn off the second "CPU", only specify one
    |>to use with a specific executable.

    |>It is not a dual CPU system, by the way, it is a P4 with
    |>Hyperthreading. By turning off one of the "CPUs" you are simply
    |>turning off HT for that executable.

    Your right you never did say you had two CPU's...

    Then download and run Process explorer
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

    Right click on the process and select "Set Affinity"
    Some programs allow it other's don't.

    --

    , Aug 18, 2005
  10. Atreju