    WMM only has choices of up to 30.

    If no can do, how about a program that allows the frame rate to be
    changed at will?

    richard, Oct 22, 2008

  2. richard

    chuckcar Guest

    richard <> wrote in
    news:p:

    > Anyone know how to change the frame rate?
    > I need the frame rate to be like 75 - 90.
    > WMM only has choices of up to 30.
    >
    > If no can do, how about a program that allows the frame rate to be
    > changed at will?

    1. don't use wmv/asx format's - they're junk in a nutshell.
    2. No video format that I know of does 90 frames per second. No commercial
    movies work that fast even. Only highspeed (read slow motion) work that
    fast. 3. The human eye can only detect 18-30 frames/second.
    4. Try an Avi package format, it offers better compression mechanisms,
    more choices of frame rate and audio codecs.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 22, 2008

  3. richard

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 01:26:41 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >richard <> wrote in
    >
    >> Anyone know how to change the frame rate?
    >> I need the frame rate to be like 75 - 90.
    >> WMM only has choices of up to 30.
    >>
    >> If no can do, how about a program that allows the frame rate to be
    >> changed at will?
    >>

    >1. don't use wmv/asx format's - they're junk in a nutshell.
    >2. No video format that I know of does 90 frames per second. No commercial
    >movies work that fast even. Only highspeed (read slow motion) work that
    >fast. 3. The human eye can only detect 18-30 frames/second.

    IMAX (HD) does.

    >4. Try an Avi package format, it offers better compression mechanisms,
    >more choices of frame rate and audio codecs.

    Any suggestions then on how to speed up the clip?
    I need to increase the speed 2 to 3 times normal.

    richard, Oct 22, 2008
  4. richard

    chuckcar Guest

    richard <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 01:26:41 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>richard <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Anyone know how to change the frame rate?
    >>> I need the frame rate to be like 75 - 90.
    >>> WMM only has choices of up to 30.
    >>>
    >>> If no can do, how about a program that allows the frame rate to be
    >>> changed at will?
    >>>

    >>1. don't use wmv/asx format's - they're junk in a nutshell.
    >>2. No video format that I know of does 90 frames per second. No
    >>commercial movies work that fast even. Only highspeed (read slow motion)
    >>work that fast. 3. The human eye can only detect 18-30 frames/second.

    > IMAX (HD) does.

    You'll have to provide proof of that I'm afraid. 24mm movie film only
    works at about 30fps.

    >>4. Try an Avi package format, it offers better compression mechanisms,
    >>more choices of frame rate and audio codecs.

    > Any suggestions then on how to speed up the clip?
    > I need to increase the speed 2 to 3 times normal.

    Drop 2 out of every 3/4 (irrespectively) frames naturally. You don't
    increase speed, you decease the number of frames displayed from each
    second.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 22, 2008
  5. richard

    Guest

    , Oct 22, 2008
  6. richard

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 02:09:43 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >richard <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 01:26:41 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>richard <> wrote in

    >>>1. don't use wmv/asx format's - they're junk in a nutshell.
    >>>2. No video format that I know of does 90 frames per second. No
    >>>commercial movies work that fast even. Only highspeed (read slow motion)
    >>>work that fast. 3. The human eye can only detect 18-30 frames/second.

    >> IMAX (HD) does.
    >>

    >You'll have to provide proof of that I'm afraid. 24mm movie film only
    >works at about 30fps.
    >
    >>>4. Try an Avi package format, it offers better compression mechanisms,
    >>>more choices of frame rate and audio codecs.

    >> Any suggestions then on how to speed up the clip?
    >> I need to increase the speed 2 to 3 times normal.
    >>

    >Drop 2 out of every 3/4 (irrespectively) frames naturally. You don't
    >increase speed, you decease the number of frames displayed from each
    >second.

    I don't think so. Not manually anyway.

    richard, Oct 22, 2008
  7. richard

    Evan Platt Guest

    wrote:

    >> IMAX (HD) does.
    >>

    >You'll have to provide proof of that I'm afraid. 24mm movie film only
    >works at about 30fps.

    Tard fight! Tard fight!

    Oh sorry. Have a read, chucko.

    http://www.imax.com/corporate/content/products_services/faqs.jsp

    They make a 96 FPS Imax camera.

    Oh, but since you killfiled me, hopefully someone will reply to my
    post and you'll see.

    (Chucktard killfiled me when he got pissed when I proved him wrong too
    many times).

    Evan Platt, Oct 22, 2008
  8. chuckcar said the following on 2008-10-22 03:26:
    > richard <> wrote in
    >
    >> Anyone know how to change the frame rate?
    >> I need the frame rate to be like 75 - 90.
    >> WMM only has choices of up to 30.
    >>
    >> If no can do, how about a program that allows the frame rate to be
    >> changed at will?
    >>

    > 2. No video format that I know of does 90 frames per second.

    IMAX is not a video format, it's a film format with 70 mm film.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAX

    General Patron, Oct 22, 2008
  9. richard

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 21:59:49 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 02:09:43 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>> IMAX (HD) does.
    >>>

    >>You'll have to provide proof of that I'm afraid. 24mm movie film only
    >>works at about 30fps.

    >Tard fight! Tard fight!
    >
    >Oh sorry. Have a read, chucko.
    >
    >http://www.imax.com/corporate/content/products_services/faqs.jsp
    >
    >They make a 96 FPS Imax camera.
    >
    >Oh, but since you killfiled me, hopefully someone will reply to my
    >post and you'll see.
    >
    >(Chucktard killfiled me when he got pissed when I proved him wrong too
    >many times).

    I'll make sure he sees it. Thanks for info.

    richard, Oct 22, 2008
  10. richard

    thanatoid Guest

    richard <> wrote in

    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 21:59:49 -0700, Evan Platt
    > <> wrote:

    >>>You'll have to provide proof of that I'm afraid. 24mm
    >>>movie film only works at about 30fps.

    24mm at 30fps? WTF? :-DDDDDDD

    Film, ever since camera motors/shutter mechanisms became capable
    at running at quartz-controlled constant speed, has been shot at
    24 fps world-wide, except when it was shot in Europe (and other
    PAL/SECAM using countries) for direct-to-TV applications. (They
    have a 50Hz current so 25 fps works very nicely. Some of you old
    folks with very good ears may remember seeing British made-on-
    film videos where the music sounded a TAD slow when watched in
    America. That was why.)

    While I am not "au courant", I believe a lot of stuff for TV is
    now shot at 30 fps in NTSC countries, where we have 60Hz and
    again, it works out rather nicely. One /could/ shoot at 60fps
    but HiDef video is going to kill celluloid film anyway.

    >>Tard fight! Tard fight!
    >>
    >>Oh sorry. Have a read, chucko.
    >>
    >>http://www.imax.com/corporate/content/products_services/faqs
    >>.jsp
    >>
    >>They make a 96 FPS Imax camera.

    IMAX is a stupid novelty and not even worth discussing.

    OP:
    The frame rates you are talking about are the refresh rates of
    computer graphics cards. They can go as high as 200 fps but that
    is a completely different animal than REAL frames-per-second
    aspect of REAL film or video. Computer graphics/games are a
    world unto themselves.

    A lot of "24fps" /animated/ films actually only have 12 frames
    drawn/created per second, shooting every frame twice. Almost no
    one can tell. In early days of cinema, hand-cranked cameras ran
    at anywhere between 10 and 20 fps. That's why everybody walks so
    fast in those old movies. For about 50 years, it's been 24 fps
    except for special cases /some/ of which I have mentioned.

    I hope this clears it up for you.

    --
    Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the
    votes decide everything.

    NB: Not only is my KF over 4 KB and growing, I am also filtering
    everything from discussions.microsoft and google groups, so no
    offense if you don't get a reply/comment unless I see you quoted
    in another post.

    thanatoid, Oct 22, 2008
  11. richard

    Tony Guest

    Bollocks! What kind of a stupid answer is that? He'll still be at 30 frames
    per second.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    No, I just decided not to play your silly game is all. *Some* of us know
    proper manners

    the realm of understandability

    Tony, Oct 22, 2008
  12. richard

    Tony Guest

    That louse Chuckcar killfiled me too! He was jealous of me because i told
    him i live in a warmer climate. I told him the whole rest of the world
    lives in a warmer climate. Chuck lives up in Ottawa where they have winter
    6 months of every year.

    richard wrote:

    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 21:59:49 -0700, Evan Platt
    > <> wrote:

    > >>You'll have to provide proof of that I'm afraid. 24mm movie film only
    > >>works at about 30fps.

    > >Tard fight! Tard fight!
    > >
    > >Oh sorry. Have a read, chucko.
    > >
    > >http://www.imax.com/corporate/content/products_services/faqs.jsp
    > >
    > >They make a 96 FPS Imax camera.
    > >
    > >Oh, but since you killfiled me, hopefully someone will reply to my
    > >post and you'll see.
    > >
    > >(Chucktard killfiled me when he got pissed when I proved him wrong too
    > >many times).

    > I'll make sure he sees it. Thanks for info.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    No, I just decided not to play your silly game is all. *Some* of us know
    proper manners

    beyond the realm of understandability

    Tony, Oct 22, 2008
  13. richard

    Tony Guest

    Celluloid film is finally dead as the theatres are running movies on
    blue-ray dvd discs. Most theatres made the conversion 2 to 3 years ago.
    There was a 35 mm projector called a microcini (made in Italy) where you
    could vary the speed of the film.

    Tony, Oct 22, 2008
  14. richard

    chuckcar Guest

    richard <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 02:09:43 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>You'll have to provide proof of that I'm afraid. 24mm movie film only
    >>works at about 30fps.

    >>> Any suggestions then on how to speed up the clip?
    >>> I need to increase the speed 2 to 3 times normal.
    >>>

    >>Drop 2 out of every 3/4 (irrespectively) frames naturally. You don't
    >>increase speed, you decease the number of frames displayed from each
    >>second.

    > I don't think so. Not manually anyway.

    You don't think *what*? Explain. You remove 2/3rds of the frames and it
    displays in 1/3rd of the time. That makes it 3x faster. Simple arithmetic.
    You remove 1/2 of the frames and it displays twice as fast for the same
    reason.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 22, 2008
  15. richard

    chuckcar Guest

    richard <> wrote in

    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 21:59:49 -0700, Evan Platt
    > <> wrote:

    >>They make a 96 FPS Imax camera.
    >>
    >>Oh, but since you killfiled me, hopefully someone will reply to my
    >>post and you'll see.
    >>
    >>(Chucktard killfiled me when he got pissed when I proved him wrong too
    >>many times).

    > I'll make sure he sees it. Thanks for info.

    You can see *why* I KF'd the idiot. Besides, avi - which has the most
    choices of frame rate doesn't go that high. As well you would be getting
    close to the frame rate of the monitor and possibly the computer's
    processing limit.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 22, 2008
  16. richard

    chuckcar Guest

    General Patron <> wrote in

    > chuckcar said the following on 2008-10-22 03:26:
    >> richard <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Anyone know how to change the frame rate?
    >>> I need the frame rate to be like 75 - 90.
    >>> WMM only has choices of up to 30.
    >>>
    >>> If no can do, how about a program that allows the frame rate to be
    >>> changed at will?
    >>>

    >> 2. No video format that I know of does 90 frames per second.

    > IMAX is not a video format, it's a film format with 70 mm film.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAX

    Doesn't matter, we're talking about a computer video, not film anyways.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 22, 2008
  17. richard

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 19:22:27 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >You can see *why* I KF'd the idiot.

    "(Chucktard killfiled me when he got pissed when I proved him wrong
    too many times)."

    Yep, it's obvious.

    Evan Platt, Oct 22, 2008
  18. richard

    thanatoid Guest

    Tony <> wrote in

    > Celluloid film is finally dead as the theatres are running
    > movies on blue-ray dvd discs. Most theatres made the
    > conversion 2 to 3 years ago.

    I haven't "been to the movies" in about 8 years, so I wouldn't
    know.
    I said I wasn't very "au courant".

    > There was a 35 mm projector
    > called a microcini

    Never heard of it but I /think/ it was probably called microcinE
    ;-)

    > (made in Italy) where you could vary the
    > speed of the film.

    The last time I touched a motion picture camera or projector was
    decades ago. But there have always been specialty projectors
    which could stop on a single frame for a reasonable (the frame
    in question would start melting sooner or later), run @ 5 fps,
    etc., mostly for educational applications.

    It would be interesting to know what speeds the Microcine could
    run at, as it would give some indication of what fps speeds film
    cameras used when there was still some hope that film would
    survive.

    Not that I really care. For me, it's all part of a past that
    seems like a dream now.

    thanatoid, Oct 22, 2008
  19. richard

    Tony Guest

    It must be like a full time job for you killfiling people on usenet. The
    rest of your time must be taken up by taking down ip addresses on usenet and
    bitch to all the server providers who all know you on a first name basis.

    Tony, Oct 23, 2008