    reinstall to get a fresh start,cure my problems and not lose any
    filed on my hard drive?

    TIA.
    A Teuchter, Jan 1, 2005

  2. A Teuchter

    Noel Paton Guest

    NO!!!!
    a reinstall over-the-top is a second-last resort, and should only be tried
    if all else fails.
    First - try a repair of Internet Explorer (assuming you have IE6...)
    Reboot to Safe Mode
    Go to Add/Remove Programs and try a repair of Internet Explorer from there.
    Go to the entry for 'Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Internet Tools'
    in Add/Remove Programs
    Click on Remove - and click on Repair on the window that pops up
    Reboot on request to Normal Mode

    If the above entry isn't there, you first need to uninstall all the patches
    applied, then do the repair, then reapply the patches
    The patches are listed in Add/Remove under the names 'Internet Explorer
    Qxxxxxx'
    highlight, click Remove - reboot if requested.
    Repeat until the MSIE6SP1 entry appears - then repair as above.

    HTH

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    A Happy Xmas, and a Merry New Year to everyone!

    Noel Paton, Jan 1, 2005

  3. A Teuchter

    A Teuchter Guest

    Hi,

    Thanks for the reply,okay no it is then, there was a fault in IE as you
    rightly suggest and the window you speak of when I clicked to repair said
    there was a fault
    and it could not be repaired, although I never tried this in safemode? I
    never removed IE6 i do not want to lose all my emails.I had to reinstall
    using IE6 this method below.
    Even sometimes if I hit the start button to shut down or Alt and F4 the
    computer locks, sometimes if I leave for a minute or two all will resume as
    normal,
    other times I have to pull the plug.......... just when you get stuck in its
    not good having it lock up in the middle of my work!
    My computer is a Pentium 3 with 640meg of ram, with only a printer hooked
    up, although it it has to work a tad with my digital camera stuff.

    The problem is still the same though and any more helps much appreciated.

    1) Create a Folder on your HD named IE6

    2) Download the IE6 Setup file from
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/ie6sp1/finrel/6_sp1/W98NT42KMeXP/EN-US/ie6setup.exe

    3) Save it to your IE6 folder

    4) Click on Start > Click on Run > Copy and Paste the text below inc
    quotation marks

    "c:\ie6\ie6setup.exe" /c:"ie6wzd.exe /d /s:""#E"

    5)Accept the licence agreement.

    6) Select Which operating systems you wish to download the IE6 files for.

    7) Wait for the download to complete - You now have a IE6 Setup Package.

    A Teuchter, Jan 1, 2005
  4. A Teuchter

    Noel Paton Guest

    First of all - reinstalling IE6 by that method you quote is unlikely to fix
    it in ME - and is almost certainly going to cause other problems if it does
    actually complete.

    Let's go back in time a bit.....
    When did you originally install IE6?
    Since that time have you attempted a reinstall of ME over the top of the IE
    6 install?
    If so, then you have what is known as 'version soup' - a mix of the files
    intended for IE6 and IE5.5 which came with ME. The only known recovery
    method is here.
    http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/ReInIE.htm

    If you haven't reinstalled ME over IE6, then there's a good chance that we
    can rescue your current install.
    What was the EXACT error message when you attempted to repair the IE
    installation using my instructions? - do it while in Safe Mode, and make a
    note of the message, and the point in the process at which it occurs.

    WRT your lockups - have you tweaked the SYSTEM.INI to limit the cache files?
    Open System.ini in Notepad, and look for the [vcache] header - what are the
    lines immediately below it? (and above the next header)
    There should be nothing there except for the single line

    MaxFileCache=512000
    (or a similar number slightly below 536870)

    If there's anything else there, copy/paste it to your response.
    If there's nothing there, copy the above line in immediately below the
    [vcache] header, save and reboot
    See if that helps.

    --

    "A Teuchter" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Thanks for the reply,okay no it is then, there was a fault in IE as you
    > rightly suggest and the window you speak of when I clicked to repair said
    > there was a fault
    > and it could not be repaired, although I never tried this in safemode? I
    > never removed IE6 i do not want to lose all my emails.I had to reinstall
    > using IE6 this method below.
    > Even sometimes if I hit the start button to shut down or Alt and F4 the
    > computer locks, sometimes if I leave for a minute or two all will resume
    > as
    > normal,
    > other times I have to pull the plug.......... just when you get stuck in
    > its
    > not good having it lock up in the middle of my work!
    > My computer is a Pentium 3 with 640meg of ram, with only a printer hooked
    > up, although it it has to work a tad with my digital camera stuff.
    >
    > The problem is still the same though and any more helps much appreciated.

    ..

    Noel Paton, Jan 1, 2005
  5. A Teuchter

    A Teuchter Guest

    Wow! progress at last , I booted in safe mode and repaired IE like you said
    and was successful this time.
    I can see new launch IEB icons returned to the tray and programs.
    For a month or so now I had kinda accepted BT Broadband was busy as late and
    the browser pages were
    real slow to load, as of the last hour after repair/re-boot the old girl is
    flying again :)

    I originally loaded ME a couple of years ago and have always used Microsoft
    Update to upgrade, that repair
    i messed up on was the only time I have installed a Microsoft program
    direct.

    I had a look on notepad as you suggested and this is the result, the next
    heading being [drivers32]
    -----------------------
    [vcache]

    [Password Lists]
    DEFAULT=C:\WINDOWS\DEFAULT.PWL
    ME=C:\WINDOWS\ME.PWL

    [MSNP32]

    [drivers32]

    A Teuchter, Jan 1, 2005
  6. A Teuchter

    Noel Paton Guest

    OK - you need to add the

    MaxFileCache=512000

    line below the [vcache] header

    thusly
    [vcache]
    MaxFileCache=512000

    [Password Lists]
    DEFAULT=C:\WINDOWS\DEFAULT.PWL
    ME=C:\WINDOWS\ME.PWL

    .....etc.

    See if that cures the freezing problems.

    Noel Paton, Jan 1, 2005
  7. A Teuchter

    DC Guest

    Noel Paton wrote:

    [snipped *213* lines]

    Noel, this is for you. You've earned it.

    http://dcmoose.fateback.com/news/awrd.jpg

    Congratulations.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    It's not the software that's free; it's you.
    DC, Jan 2, 2005
  8. A Teuchter

    Noel Paton Guest

    "DC" <> wrote in message
    > Noel Paton wrote:
    >
    > [snipped *213* lines]
    >

    > Noel, this is for you. You've earned it.
    >
    > http://dcmoose.fateback.com/news/awrd.jpg
    >
    > Congratulations.

    ..
    Thanks - just what I always wanted! - I'll hang it on the wall with the
    others

    Noel Paton, Jan 2, 2005
  9. A Teuchter

    DC Guest

    Noel Paton wrote:
    > "DC" <> wrote in message
    >> Noel Paton wrote:

    >> [snipped *213* lines]

    >> Noel, this is for you. You've earned it.

    >> http://dcmoose.fateback.com/news/awrd.jpg

    >> Congratulations.

    > Thanks - just what I always wanted! - I'll hang it on the wall with the
    > others

    Noel, serious question time:

    Why will you post properly when you reply to me, yet you refuse to do so
    when you reply to others?

    Some have attempted to educate you in the past on your posting style. I
    *know* that you understand that by placing quoted text _beneath_ your
    sig delimiter, this text will be (a) invisible to those who hide sigs by
    default, but worse (b) be completely snipped upon reply to you without
    specific intervention by the user.

    That (b) is the real problem. Your (laziness|indifference) sabotages the
    efficient exchange of ideas and throws continuity of discussions right
    out the window.

    I think it's a fair question.

    DC, Jan 2, 2005
  10. A Teuchter

    Noel Paton Guest

    "DC" <> wrote in message
    > Noel Paton wrote:
    >> "DC" <> wrote in message
    >>> Noel Paton wrote:

    >>> [snipped *213* lines]

    >>> Noel, this is for you. You've earned it.

    >>> http://dcmoose.fateback.com/news/awrd.jpg

    >>> Congratulations.

    >> Thanks - just what I always wanted! - I'll hang it on the wall with the
    >> others

    > Noel, serious question time:
    >
    > Why will you post properly when you reply to me, yet you refuse to do so
    > when you reply to others?
    >
    > Some have attempted to educate you in the past on your posting style. I
    > *know* that you understand that by placing quoted text _beneath_ your
    > sig delimiter, this text will be (a) invisible to those who hide sigs by
    > default, but worse (b) be completely snipped upon reply to you without
    > specific intervention by the user.
    >
    > That (b) is the real problem. Your (laziness|indifference) sabotages the
    > efficient exchange of ideas and throws continuity of discussions right
    > out the window.
    >
    > I think it's a fair question.

    Simple answer

    To me the method of posting (top/bottom/interleaved) is irrelevant - it's
    the content that matters.
    In the NG's where I mostly hang out, the norm is to top-post, so I have OE
    set to do that.

    When I come here, I try and remember to bottom-post - but if I
    (accidentally) start by top-posting, and get a response in like manner, then
    I'll continue to do so, as otherwise it would confuse everyone.

    Yes, I tend not to snip - for a number of reasons. The major one being that
    it can help readers who only come into the group occasionally, and may miss
    the earlier part of the thread because their ISP/UseNet pipe is too
    tightfisted to add another HD to the farm, or can't propagate properly. (BT
    got so bad that I moved to individual.net)

    If someone attacks me - then I may or may not (I'll leave it up to you to
    decide) respond in like manner, or may ignore them completely (depends on
    how many beers I've had, and what my mood is). Since this group tends to be
    fairly 'open-mouthed' - not to say downright foul-mouthed at times thanks to
    certain irregulars - I may or may not use language here that I wouldn't use
    elsewhere - and I may use language elsewhere that's stronger than that I use
    here (but generally not with the MVP tag attached!<g>)

    Time for bed!

    Noel Paton, Jan 2, 2005
  11. A Teuchter

    DC Guest

    Noel Paton wrote:

    > "DC" <> wrote in message
    >> Noel Paton wrote:

    >>> [...]

    >> Some have attempted to educate you in the past on your posting style. I
    >> *know* that you understand that by placing quoted text _beneath_ your
    >> sig delimiter, this text will be (a) invisible to those who hide sigs by
    >> default, but worse (b) be completely snipped upon reply to you without
    >> specific intervention by the user.

    >> That (b) is the real problem. Your (laziness|indifference) sabotages the
    >> efficient exchange of ideas and throws continuity of discussions right
    >> out the window.

    [...]

    > To me the method of posting (top/bottom/interleaved) is irrelevant - it's
    > the content that matters.
    > In the NG's where I mostly hang out, the norm is to top-post, so I have OE
    > set to do that.

    I didn't say anything about top/bottom/interleaving.

    > When I come here, I try and remember to bottom-post - but if I
    > (accidentally) start by top-posting, and get a response in like manner, then
    > I'll continue to do so, as otherwise it would confuse everyone.

    (above)

    > Yes, I tend not to snip - for a number of reasons. The major one being that
    > it can help readers who only come into the group occasionally, and may miss
    > the earlier part of the thread because their ISP/UseNet pipe is too
    > tightfisted to add another HD to the farm, or can't propagate properly. (BT
    > got so bad that I moved to individual.net)

    (above)

    > If someone attacks me - then I may or may not (I'll leave it up to you to
    > decide) respond in like manner, or may ignore them completely (depends on
    > how many beers I've had, and what my mood is). Since this group tends to be
    > fairly 'open-mouthed' - not to say downright foul-mouthed at times thanks to
    > certain irregulars - I may or may not use language here that I wouldn't use
    > elsewhere - and I may use language elsewhere that's stronger than that I use
    > here (but generally not with the MVP tag attached!<g>)

    Irrelevant.

    Well done, Noel. You missed the whole point.

    (Something tells me that Mr. Boddy's killer is going to walk.)

    DC, Jan 2, 2005
  12. A Teuchter

    Noel Paton Guest

    "DC" <> wrote in message
    > Noel Paton wrote:
    >
    >> "DC" <> wrote in message

    >>> Some have attempted to educate you in the past on your posting style. I
    >>> *know* that you understand that by placing quoted text _beneath_ your
    >>> sig delimiter, this text will be (a) invisible to those who hide sigs by
    >>> default, but worse (b) be completely snipped upon reply to you without
    >>> specific intervention by the user.

    >>> That (b) is the real problem. Your (laziness|indifference) sabotages
    >>> the
    >>> efficient exchange of ideas and throws continuity of discussions right
    >>> out the window.

    > [...]
    >
    >> To me the method of posting (top/bottom/interleaved) is irrelevant - it's
    >> the content that matters.
    >> In the NG's where I mostly hang out, the norm is to top-post, so I have
    >> OE
    >> set to do that.

    > I didn't say anything about top/bottom/interleaving.
    >
    >> When I come here, I try and remember to bottom-post - but if I
    >> (accidentally) start by top-posting, and get a response in like manner,
    >> then
    >> I'll continue to do so, as otherwise it would confuse everyone.

    > (above)
    >
    >> Yes, I tend not to snip - for a number of reasons. The major one being
    >> that
    >> it can help readers who only come into the group occasionally, and may
    >> miss
    >> the earlier part of the thread because their ISP/UseNet pipe is too
    >> tightfisted to add another HD to the farm, or can't propagate properly.
    >> (BT
    >> got so bad that I moved to individual.net)

    > (above)
    >
    >> If someone attacks me - then I may or may not (I'll leave it up to you to
    >> decide) respond in like manner, or may ignore them completely (depends on
    >> how many beers I've had, and what my mood is). Since this group tends to
    >> be
    >> fairly 'open-mouthed' - not to say downright foul-mouthed at times thanks
    >> certain irregulars - I may or may not use language here that I wouldn't
    >> use
    >> elsewhere - and I may use language elsewhere that's stronger than that I
    >> use
    >> here (but generally not with the MVP tag attached!<g>)

    > Irrelevant.
    >
    > Well done, Noel. You missed the whole point.
    >
    > (Something tells me that Mr. Boddy's killer is going to walk.)

    What's the biggest newsreader client in this group (outside of the regulars
    and trolls, that is)?
    OE - and does OE strip sigs properly? no
    So - the general user coming here will lose nothing by my top-posting with a
    delimiter (and I remove the sig, generally, if I interleave).
    The regulars are presumably reading the previous stuff anyhow - so are aware
    of the background (or can backtrack if they want to ) - so they're losing
    nothing
    The trolls don't care.
    Whether it's stripped by the OP or not - at least it's there for the rest of
    the world to read

    You really should get a life, instead of trying to control everyone else's
    (and you really need to _make_ a point if you want me to respond to it!)

    OTOH - I could always just strip the delimiter completely, and really p&ss
    you off!

    Noel Paton, Jan 2, 2005
  13. A Teuchter

    Mara Guest

    On 2 Jan 2005 02:28:51 GMT, DC <> wrote:

    >Noel Paton wrote:

    <snip>
    >> If someone attacks me - then I may or may not (I'll leave it up to you to
    >> decide) respond in like manner, or may ignore them completely (depends on
    >> how many beers I've had, and what my mood is). Since this group tends to be
    >> fairly 'open-mouthed' - not to say downright foul-mouthed at times thanks to
    >> certain irregulars - I may or may not use language here that I wouldn't use
    >> elsewhere - and I may use language elsewhere that's stronger than that I use
    >> here (but generally not with the MVP tag attached!<g>)

    >Irrelevant.
    >
    >Well done, Noel. You missed the whole point.
    >
    >(Something tells me that Mr. Boddy's killer is going to walk.)

    DC, tell me if I've got this right.

    NP is defending the practice of top-posting, which is and always has been
    *accepted* in 24HSHD as a service to those who use text-to-speech readers, but
    has missed the boat completely on the whole "letting his (tinh) sig-delimiter
    delete stuff when he shouldn't, plus not deleting irrelevant stuff in quoted
    material when he should" thing?

    Is that about it?

    AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
    --glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r
    Mara, Jan 2, 2005
  14. A Teuchter

    DC Guest

    Mara wrote:
    > On 2 Jan 2005 02:28:51 GMT, DC <> wrote:

    >>Noel Paton wrote:

    ><snip>

    >>Irrelevant.

    >>Well done, Noel. You missed the whole point.

    >>(Something tells me that Mr. Boddy's killer is going to walk.)

    > DC, tell me if I've got this right.

    > NP is defending the practice of top-posting, which is and always has been
    > *accepted* in 24HSHD as a service to those who use text-to-speech readers, but
    > has missed the boat completely on the whole "letting his (tinh) sig-delimiter
    > delete stuff when he shouldn't, plus not deleting irrelevant stuff in quoted
    > material when he should" thing?

    > Is that about it?

    Mara, you sure know how to turn a guy on. *wink*

    DC, Jan 2, 2005
  15. A Teuchter

    Mara Guest

    On 2 Jan 2005 03:30:19 GMT, DC <> wrote:

    >Mara wrote:

    <snip>
    >> DC, tell me if I've got this right.

    >> NP is defending the practice of top-posting, which is and always has been
    >> *accepted* in 24HSHD as a service to those who use text-to-speech readers, but
    >> has missed the boat completely on the whole "letting his (tinh) sig-delimiter
    >> delete stuff when he shouldn't, plus not deleting irrelevant stuff in quoted
    >> material when he should" thing?

    >> Is that about it?

    >Mara, you sure know how to turn a guy on. *wink*

    I think you need to go in for a complete medical checkup. Either that, or have a
    beer. Either/or. <g>

    Wow. I got the message, so to speak, and the only post I read out of the whole
    mess was the one I responded to. And he still doesn't "get it?!" After all this?

    You know, with the exception of Ron Martell and possibly a couple of others, I
    was firmly convinced that MCSE stands for "Must Consult Someone Else." Now, I'm
    starting to believe that MVP stands for "Most Voluminous Pinhead."

    "NP might know a bit about WinBlows, but he certainly doesn't know much about
    usenet. Or posting etiquette. Sad, that."

    Mara, Jan 2, 2005
  16. A Teuchter

    DC Guest

    Mara wrote:
    > On 2 Jan 2005 03:30:19 GMT, DC <> wrote:

    >>Mara wrote:

    ><snip>
    >>> DC, tell me if I've got this right.

    >>> NP is defending the practice of top-posting, which is and always has been
    >>> *accepted* in 24HSHD as a service to those who use text-to-speech readers, but
    >>> has missed the boat completely on the whole "letting his (tinh) sig-delimiter
    >>> delete stuff when he shouldn't, plus not deleting irrelevant stuff in quoted
    >>> material when he should" thing?

    >>> Is that about it?

    >>Mara, you sure know how to turn a guy on. *wink*

    > I think you need to go in for a complete medical checkup. Either that, or have a
    > beer. Either/or. <g>

    /me pops the top on another Corona

    Cheers! /clink/ *gurgle* }:O9

    > Wow. I got the message, so to speak, and the only post I read out of the whole
    > mess was the one I responded to. And he still doesn't "get it?!" After all this?

    I tried.

    > You know, with the exception of Ron Martell and possibly a couple of others, I
    > was firmly convinced that MCSE stands for "Must Consult Someone Else." Now, I'm
    > starting to believe that MVP stands for "Most Voluminous Pinhead."

    He brings the meaning of "obtuse" to a whole new level, yeah.

    > "NP might know a bit about WinBlows, but he certainly doesn't know much about
    > usenet. Or posting etiquette. Sad, that."

    Or how to read, evidently. Anyway, I'm through with him -- I couldn't
    possibly have made my point more clearly than I did.

    DC, Jan 2, 2005
  17. DC wrote:
    > Mara wrote:
    >> On 2 Jan 2005 02:28:51 GMT, DC <> wrote:

    >>>Noel Paton wrote:

    >><snip>

    >>>Irrelevant.

    >>>Well done, Noel. You missed the whole point.

    >>>(Something tells me that Mr. Boddy's killer is going to walk.)

    >> DC, tell me if I've got this right.

    >> NP is defending the practice of top-posting, which is and always has been
    >> *accepted* in 24HSHD as a service to those who use text-to-speech readers, but
    >> has missed the boat completely on the whole "letting his (tinh) sig-delimiter
    >> delete stuff when he shouldn't, plus not deleting irrelevant stuff in quoted
    >> material when he should" thing?

    >> Is that about it?

    > Mara, you sure know how to turn a guy on. *wink*

    Is that an antler in your pocket, or... :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, Jan 2, 2005
  18. A Teuchter

    A Teuchter Guest

    Sorted Noel!

    Rattled on here for hours and with speed I had long since forgotten, cant
    believe a simple task could make such an improvement.
    Was good of you to take the time to help and for the link to your windows
    helpsite.

    Have a great New Year!
    A Teuchter, Jan 2, 2005
  19. A Teuchter

    Noel Paton Guest

    "A Teuchter" <> wrote in message
    > Sorted Noel!
    >
    > Rattled on here for hours and with speed I had long since forgotten, cant
    > believe a simple task could make such an improvement.
    > Was good of you to take the time to help and for the link to your windows
    > helpsite.
    >
    > Have a great New Year!

    You're welcome

    Noel Paton, Jan 2, 2005
  20. A Teuchter

    Mara Guest

    On 2 Jan 2005 09:13:43 GMT, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    >DC wrote:

    <snip>
    >> Mara, you sure know how to turn a guy on. *wink*

    >Is that an antler in your pocket, or... :)

    I'm afraid I have to cite you under the "Ewww Joke Clause." The fine, plus court
    costs, will amount to .12 US$, payable in advance.

    "I have to make my first million somehow."

    Mara, Jan 2, 2005