    tried disabling Windows Messenger, but MSN 6.1 still doesn't show up
    in Outlook Express.

    Thanks Pauline

    Paula, Apr 24, 2004

  2. Paula

    trout Guest

    Paula wrote:

    > I have a laptop running Windows XP.
    >
    > Windows messenger automatically opens when I open Outlook Express 6
    > and my contact icons are displayed in the pane at the bottom left of
    > the screen. I have installed MSN6.1 and prefer to use that. The
    > question is, How do I deactivate Windows messenger? And how do I make
    > Outlook Express show the icons in msn6.1 in the pane on the left in
    > Outlook Express, instead of Windows Messenger taking over. I have
    > tried disabling Windows Messenger, but MSN 6.1 still doesn't show up
    > in Outlook Express.
    >
    > Thanks Pauline

    Did you successfully disable it? If you're not sure, you could use
    the freeware program Shoot the Messenger:
    http://grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm
    which does this specifically.
    If your MSN messenger doesn't show in OE following this and a
    reboot; you might have to look in the program options.
    --
    "Sorry; I don't know, specifically."

    trout, Apr 24, 2004

  3. Paula

    John Guest

    to deactivate windows messenger go into your services folder which is
    located under administrative tools in the control panel.

    look down the list and you will see 'messenger' right click on it, go into
    properties and press disable

    next time you restart your pc delete the messenger folder in your programs
    folder and it is gone

    John, Apr 24, 2004
  4. Paula

    Paula Guest

    Many thanks John and trout, will give it a go. Pauline

    Paula, Apr 25, 2004