    I've checked "No" 200 times but the box wouldn't stop popping up so I checked
    "Yes" and it still pops up every time I boot up. How can I get this annoying
    box to go away forever ? Thanks
    LRESA500, Apr 4, 2004

  2. LRESA500

    Jerry G. Guest

    From what I believe, this software will keep begging until it is upgraded
    properly. This is for security reasons, since it can be very vulnerable.
    Once upgraded properly, it should stop. I have looking in to it, and cannot
    find anything that can be changed to stop it from looking for upgrades.

    Your other alternative is to uninstall the software, and re-install it again
    if it will not upgrade properly.

    Go to the link below, and do some reading.
    http://help.msn.com/EN_US/HelpWindo...ext=For help on MSN Messenger, click a topic:

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    "LRESA500" <> wrote in message
    Each time I turn my computer on a "Windows Messenger" box appears. It says
    "A newer version is available. You must install the newer version in order
    continue.Would you like to do this now?"
    Jerry G., Apr 4, 2004

  3. LRESA500

    Pepperoni Guest

    I am presuming you mean windows messaging rather than MSN Messenger.

    WM comes bundled with windows and can be turned off, but may disable some
    messages. ("print job complete", anti-virus, and event logger status
    messages, etc.)

    I can't tell what OS you are using.

    Pepperoni

    *****************************
    http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml#disable
    Disabling the Messenger Service
    You can disable the Messenger service if you want to although doing so may
    result in Windows not being able to alert you to some conditions. A list of
    circumstances when Windows will use the Messenger service to pop up
    informative windows isn't available right now but may include things like
    "print job complete", anti-virus, and event logger status messages. Also,
    "new mail" notifications may not be available in an Exchange/Outlook
    environment.

    Windows 2000

    Click Start->Programs->Administrative Tools->Services
    Scroll down and highlight "Messenger"
    Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.
    Click the STOP button.
    Select Disable in the Startup Type scroll bar
    Click OK

    Windows XP

    Click Start->Control Panel
    Click Performance and Maintenance
    Click Administrative Tools
    Double click Services
    Scroll down and highlight "Messenger"
    Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.
    Click the STOP button.
    Select Disable in the Startup Type scroll bar
    Click OK
    You can verify the service is disabled by typing the following at a command
    prompt. If no message appears, the Messenger service has been disabled.

    net send 127.0.0.1 "test"

    Pepperoni, Apr 4, 2004
  4. LRESA500

    Thor Guest

    "Pepperoni" <> wrote in message
    > I am presuming you mean windows messaging rather than MSN Messenger.
    >
    > WM comes bundled with windows and can be turned off, but may disable some
    > messages. ("print job complete", anti-virus, and event logger status
    > messages, etc.)
    >
    > I can't tell what OS you are using.
    >
    > Pepperoni

    The windows messenger service doesn't make requests about updating itself.
    MSN messenger does.
    Thor, Apr 4, 2004
  5. If your O/S is XP then this is what you need to do to get rid of that pesky popup.

    Click Start>Settings>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services, then scroll down and right click on the word Messenger and click
    Properties, then set the Startup Type: to Disabled, then click Ok and close your way out of there. Problem solved.

    If you O/S is not XP then I can't help you because I only experienced the same phenomenon myself using XP.

    HTH

    Cheers
    Mike the Kiwi

    Mike the Kiwi, Apr 4, 2004
  6. LRESA500

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "LRESA500" <> wrote in message
    > Each time I turn my computer on a "Windows Messenger" box appears. It says
    > "A newer version is available. You must install the newer version in order

    > continue.Would you like to do this now?"
    > I've checked "No" 200 times but the box wouldn't stop popping up so I

    checked
    > "Yes" and it still pops up every time I boot up. How can I get this

    annoying
    > box to go away forever ? Thanks

    You can go to Start Button/Control Panel/Add Remove Programs/Add Remove
    Windows Components and you can uncheck MSN Explorer and Windows Messenger.
    By doing that, it will completely uninstall the components off of the
    machine and be done with it. You may need the Windows install CD when doing
    this so keep it handy in case it calls for it.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Apr 4, 2004