Windows messenger and msn messenger

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Geopelia, Mar 19, 2006.

  1. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    Are windows messenger and msn messenger the same? I'm having trouble signing
    in with the tray icon and from the desktop. I had windows ME before, and msn
    messenger worked well then. It says windows messenger in the sign in box,
    now I have XP. My email address shows, but the passport never works.

    Either my sign in email address or password are incorrect, according to an
    error message every time. I've changed the password and it works for some
    msn but not for messenger. I've had pages of technical stuff from Microsoft
    NET Passport Support which I don't understand at all.

    I've thought of changing to msn messenger 7.5 (I had 7) with a different
    email address. What do you think?
    Fortunately I only have two contacts at present.

    Can anybody throw any light on this please? Do I need to get the computer
    man out again?

    Sorry to be so dumb.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Mar 19, 2006

  2. Geopelia

    Nova Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > Are windows messenger and msn messenger the same? I'm having trouble signing
    > in with the tray icon and from the desktop. I had windows ME before, and msn
    > messenger worked well then. It says windows messenger in the sign in box,
    > now I have XP. My email address shows, but the passport never works.
    >
    > Either my sign in email address or password are incorrect, according to an
    > error message every time. I've changed the password and it works for some
    > msn but not for messenger. I've had pages of technical stuff from Microsoft
    > NET Passport Support which I don't understand at all.
    >
    > I've thought of changing to msn messenger 7.5 (I had 7) with a different
    > email address. What do you think?
    > Fortunately I only have two contacts at present.
    >
    > Can anybody throw any light on this please? Do I need to get the computer
    > man out again?
    >
    > Sorry to be so dumb.
    >
    > Geopelia

    They are different.. Windows messenger is built into all windows I
    believe, the latest version is 4.7. MSN messenger is one you download
    and the latest version is 7.5, it has far more features than the little
    windows messenger but also takes up far more memory..

    I had troubles with them both fighting each other sometimes, I had to
    open windows messenger and tell it not to start when windows started etc
    so it didnt try and sign in at the same time as MSN messenger..

    Not sure if that answers you or not :)

    Nova, Mar 19, 2006

  3. > Can anybody throw any light on this please? Do I need to get the computer
    > man out again?
    >
    > Sorry to be so dumb.
    >
    > Geopelia

    they are different versions of the same program. windows messenger is
    the older version

    the new version is way cooler, and last time i tried the old one, it
    wouldn't connect because it's too old... you might as well upgrade.

    in tools->options you can un-tick a box which will stop either of them
    from starting up when windows fires up. after you install the new one
    you might need to tell the old one to not start with windows so they
    don't clash.

    Rimu Atkinson, Mar 20, 2006
  4. Geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Rimu Atkinson wrote:
    >> Can anybody throw any light on this please? Do I need to get the
    >> computer man out again?
    >>
    >> Sorry to be so dumb.
    >>
    >> Geopelia
    >>

    > they are different versions of the same program. windows messenger is
    > the older version
    >
    > the new version is way cooler, and last time i tried the old one, it
    > wouldn't connect because it's too old... you might as well upgrade.
    >
    > in tools->options you can un-tick a box which will stop either of them
    > from starting up when windows fires up. after you install the new one
    > you might need to tell the old one to not start with windows so they
    > don't clash.

    OK, I wasn't going to say anything as I don't use either. However, it is my
    understanding that they are two completely different programmes.

    Well, as nobody else seems to have heard of Google, I just spent 90 seconds
    of my life finding this:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/windowsmessenger/ballew_03august11.mspx
    --
    ~Shaun~

    ~misfit~, Mar 20, 2006
  5. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Rimu Atkinson wrote:
    >>> Can anybody throw any light on this please? Do I need to get the
    >>> computer man out again?
    >>>
    >>> Sorry to be so dumb.
    >>>
    >>> Geopelia
    >>>

    >> they are different versions of the same program. windows messenger is
    >> the older version
    >>
    >> the new version is way cooler, and last time i tried the old one, it
    >> wouldn't connect because it's too old... you might as well upgrade.
    >>
    >> in tools->options you can un-tick a box which will stop either of them
    >> from starting up when windows fires up. after you install the new one
    >> you might need to tell the old one to not start with windows so they
    >> don't clash.

    > OK, I wasn't going to say anything as I don't use either. However, it is
    > my understanding that they are two completely different programmes.
    >
    > Well, as nobody else seems to have heard of Google, I just spent 90
    > seconds of my life finding this:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/windowsmessenger/ballew_03august11.mspx
    > --
    > ~Shaun~

    I hunted around on Google for ages. I can't connect to Hotmail from the
    desktop, but if I find it on Google I can get in. I don't like Hotmail but
    sometimes people send me an email on it.
    My contacts appear on both windows messenger and msn messenger. Neither
    starts when windows does. Yahoo keeps arriving though.

    That's a handy website, I've saved it.
    Thank you

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Mar 20, 2006
  6. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Nova" <> wrote in message news:441ddce8$...
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> Are windows messenger and msn messenger the same? I'm having trouble
    >> signing in with the tray icon and from the desktop. I had windows ME
    >> before, and msn messenger worked well then. It says windows messenger in
    >> the sign in box, now I have XP. My email address shows, but the passport
    >> never works.
    >>
    >> Either my sign in email address or password are incorrect, according to
    >> an error message every time. I've changed the password and it works for
    >> some msn but not for messenger. I've had pages of technical stuff from
    >> Microsoft NET Passport Support which I don't understand at all.
    >>
    >> I've thought of changing to msn messenger 7.5 (I had 7) with a different
    >> email address. What do you think?
    >> Fortunately I only have two contacts at present.
    >>
    >> Can anybody throw any light on this please? Do I need to get the computer
    >> man out again?
    >>
    >> Sorry to be so dumb.
    >>
    >> Geopelia

    > They are different.. Windows messenger is built into all windows I
    > believe, the latest version is 4.7. MSN messenger is one you download and
    > the latest version is 7.5, it has far more features than the little
    > windows messenger but also takes up far more memory..
    >
    > I had troubles with them both fighting each other sometimes, I had to open
    > windows messenger and tell it not to start when windows started etc so it
    > didnt try and sign in at the same time as MSN messenger..
    >
    > Not sure if that answers you or not :)

    Thank you. I used to have MSN messenger 7, if I can find it again I expect
    it will tell me how to change to 7.5
    MSN used to start when the computer started, but now it seems to have
    disappeared. I think the computer man must have changed me over to windows
    messenger.

    I've just received pages of information from msn customer support, so I'll
    try their suggestions.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Mar 20, 2006
  7. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Rimu Atkinson" <> wrote in message

    >> Can anybody throw any light on this please? Do I need to get the computer
    >> man out again?
    >>
    >> Sorry to be so dumb.
    >>
    >> Geopelia

    > they are different versions of the same program. windows messenger is the
    > older version
    >
    > the new version is way cooler, and last time i tried the old one, it
    > wouldn't connect because it's too old... you might as well upgrade.
    >
    > in tools->options you can un-tick a box which will stop either of them
    > from starting up when windows fires up. after you install the new one you
    > might need to tell the old one to not start with windows so they don't
    > clash.

    Thank you
    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Mar 20, 2006