    that?

    --
    Jim Corderman
    Jim Corderman, Apr 1, 2009

  2. Jim Corderman

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 17:58:21 -0400, "Jim Corderman" <>
    wrote:

    >I am using Vista Ult-64 and the Windows Media Player won't show videos. It
    >plays the audio but the video is missing. Any ideas on what would cause
    >that?

    You're playing a video for which you haven't got the proper
    video-codec installed. You could fix it by installing a codec-package.
    There is a few around of them. I use KLite, which I am happy about,
    but other people might have different preferences.

    http://www.codecguide.com/

    Cheers

    jud
    Jud Hendrix, Apr 1, 2009

  3. Jim Corderman

    Carlos Guest

    You are quite right, Jud.
    Luckily, there are many options to choose from right now.
    Ffdshow (http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm) is a nice codec
    package offering both x86 and x64 versions.
    Both of them must be installed in x64 OSs simultaneously.
    ffdshow x86 provides codecs for 32-bit players (in a 64-bit OS) and ffdshow
    x64 provides codecs for 64-bit players like WMP, the one under \Program Files
    folder.

    There are also standalone versions, which don't require external codecs.
    The one I prefer is Media Player Classic Home Cinema
    (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=170561) which also has
    x86 and x64 versions.

    If the video he is trying to watch is an *.mov type (Apple quicktime) then
    Quicktime Alternative
    (http://www.free-codecs.com/download/QuickTime_Alternative.htm) will do for
    him.
    :)