    Is there a way around this one?

    Thanks,
    Grace
    Grace, Jun 26, 2005

  2. Grace

    7 Guest

    Grace wrote:

    > I've got Windows Media Player 10 and on one MP3 file it won't play the
    > song. I get this error message:
    > "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support
    > the file type or might not support the codecs that was used to compress
    > the file". I can play all other MP3 files ok.
    > Is there a way around this one?

    Boot up on liveCDs like knoppix or mepis and then
    play all your MP3's to heart's content if its still a
    standard MP3 file.
    Kantix also comes with streamtuner to tune into 10,000+ internet
    radio stations. All liveCDs free and available from this link
    with source code.
    7, Jun 26, 2005

  3. Grace

    MJP Guest

    "Grace" <> wrote in message
    > I've got Windows Media Player 10 and on one MP3 file it won't play the
    > song. I get this error message:
    > "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support
    > the file type or might not support the codecs that was used to compress
    > the file". I can play all other MP3 files ok.
    > Is there a way around this one?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Grace

    Try the program GSPOT, it is designed to find the codecs used for avi files
    but also seems to work with MP3's .There may also be a dedicated program for
    mp3's.

    MJP
    MJP, Jun 26, 2005
  4. Grace

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Grace" <> wrote in message
    > I've got Windows Media Player 10 and on one MP3 file it won't play the
    > song. I get this error message:
    > "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support
    > the file type or might not support the codecs that was used to compress
    > the file". I can play all other MP3 files ok.
    > Is there a way around this one?

    Where did you get the MP3? Is it something you downloaded? The file could be
    corrupt, or misnamed if it is from a non-reputable source. I once downloaded
    a file from a P2P network that was supposed to be an MP3 but turned out to
    be something quite different (and inappropriate, I might add.)
    Toolman Tim, Jun 26, 2005
  5. Grace

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > "Grace" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I've got Windows Media Player 10 and on one MP3 file it won't play the
    >>song. I get this error message:
    >>"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support
    >>the file type or might not support the codecs that was used to compress
    >>the file". I can play all other MP3 files ok.
    >>Is there a way around this one?
    >>

    > Where did you get the MP3? Is it something you downloaded? The file could be
    > corrupt, or misnamed if it is from a non-reputable source. I once downloaded
    > a file from a P2P network that was supposed to be an MP3 but turned out to
    > be something quite different (and inappropriate, I might add.)

    And if it came as an email attachment, save it to disk, then open it.
    Rick Merrill, Jun 26, 2005
  6. Grace

    Ian Jackson Guest

    In message <>, Rick Merrill
    <> writes
    >Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> "Grace" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I've got Windows Media Player 10 and on one MP3 file it won't play
    >>>the song. I get this error message:
    >>>"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not
    >>>support the file type or might not support the codecs that was used
    >>>to compress the file". I can play all other MP3 files ok.
    >>>Is there a way around this one?
    >>>

    >> Where did you get the MP3? Is it something you downloaded? The file
    >>could be corrupt, or misnamed if it is from a non-reputable source. I
    >>once downloaded a file from a P2P network that was supposed to be an
    >>MP3 but turned out to be something quite different (and
    >>inappropriate, I might add.)
    >>

    >And if it came as an email attachment, save it to disk, then open it.

    Try playing it with Irfanview. I have found that this will play things
    which other players don't like the look of. If it plays, do a 'Copy
    File'. You may find that the copy then plays OK with other players.
    Occasionally, simply playing something with Irfanview makes it playable
    with other players.
    Ian.
    Ian Jackson, Jul 1, 2005