Windows Media Player no longer plays AVIs

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by EP, Aug 14, 2005.

  1. EP

    EP Guest

    My windows media player (most uptodate version) has stopped playing avi files.

    mpg mpegs, wmv & mp3 play just fine

    but when I open an avi :(

    at the bottom of the screen it says "sending a request for codec"
    then "error downloading codec"
    ( I'm online by the way )

    then it plays like an mp3, audio only no picture.

    The only major recent thing I've done is install Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator 6.

    I have WinXP by the way.

    Any ideas.

    EP.

    EP, Aug 14, 2005

  2. EP

    EP Guest

    Re: Windows Media Player no longer plays AVIs - forget this !

    Doh!

    Just openned Real player and did some kind of registering, then some codec
    downloading, then found I had a new DIVX player, then found my Windows
    Media Player now players AVIs again.

    Don't know why it now works, but I'm not complaining :)

    EP.

    EP, Aug 14, 2005

  3. EP

    Miles Ahead Guest

    On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 01:15:46 +0100, "EP"
    <> wrote:

    >Any ideas.

    Download AviCodec freeware and drop the .avi file on it.
    It will tell you what codecs it uses. If you don't have them
    on your system, go to www.free-codecs.com and download
    'em.

    Miles Ahead, Aug 14, 2005