windows media player monitored folders suck!!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Sir To You, Jan 30, 2008.

  1. Sir To You

    Sir To You Guest

    WMP player 11 monitored folders don't work. I don't get it.

    I set my c:\users documents to be ignored. It is impossible to ignore
    the 'ripped' folder which i assume is another bug.

    Then , I clear the entire library. Later on , I check the library,
    and...

    http://tinyurl.com/2f48we

    C:\users\jed\pictures, contains pictures, but, the folder is set to
    IGNORE!!!! Microsoft, what does IGNORE MEAN? Does it mean , include?
    AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!

    This pisses me off, don't MS use their own software.

    Then, I see I am not the only clown with this error...

    http://www.tutorials-win.com/MediaPlayer/Library-wont-256358/

    I hate the wmp 11 folder management.
    Sir To You, Jan 30, 2008

  2. Sir To You

    Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 12:13:22 -0800 (PST), Sir To You <> wrote:

    >WMP player 11 monitored folders don't work. I don't get it.
    >

    >I set my c:\users documents to be ignored. It is impossible to ignore
    >the 'ripped' folder which i assume is another bug.
    >
    >Then , I clear the entire library. Later on , I check the library,
    >and...
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/2f48we
    >
    >C:\users\jed\pictures, contains pictures, but, the folder is set to
    >IGNORE!!!! Microsoft, what does IGNORE MEAN? Does it mean , include?
    >AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!
    >
    >This pisses me off, don't MS use their own software.
    >
    >Then, I see I am not the only clown with this error...
    >
    >http://www.tutorials-win.com/MediaPlayer/Library-wont-256358/
    >
    >I hate the wmp 11 folder management.

    So why use it..?
    , Jan 30, 2008

  3. Sir To You

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Sir To You" typed:
    > WMP player 11 monitored folders don't work. I don't get it.
    >

    > I set my c:\users documents to be ignored. It is impossible to ignore
    > the 'ripped' folder which i assume is another bug.
    >
    > Then , I clear the entire library. Later on , I check the library,
    > and...
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/2f48we
    >
    > C:\users\jed\pictures, contains pictures, but, the folder is set to
    > IGNORE!!!! Microsoft, what does IGNORE MEAN? Does it mean , include?
    > AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!
    >
    > This pisses me off, don't MS use their own software.
    >
    > Then, I see I am not the only clown with this error...
    >
    > http://www.tutorials-win.com/MediaPlayer/Library-wont-256358/
    >
    > I hate the wmp 11 folder management.

    I had to revert to an OS partition image pre-WMP 11 as it really messed with
    my ability to play media files. (XP Pro.) Simply uninstalling it and
    reverting to the previous version didn't do the job, neither did Windows
    restore. The only way to be able to play DivX/xvid files was to delete the
    OS partition and re-create it from an image.

    WMP 11 is an abomination that will never get HDD space on any of my
    computers again.

    Simply my opinion of course, based on experience.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Jan 30, 2008
  4. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "Sir To You" typed:
    >> WMP player 11 monitored folders don't work. I don't get it.
    >>

    >> I set my c:\users documents to be ignored. It is impossible to ignore
    >> the 'ripped' folder which i assume is another bug.
    >>
    >> Then , I clear the entire library. Later on , I check the library,
    >> and...
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/2f48we
    >>
    >> C:\users\jed\pictures, contains pictures, but, the folder is set to
    >> IGNORE!!!! Microsoft, what does IGNORE MEAN? Does it mean , include?
    >> AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!
    >>
    >> This pisses me off, don't MS use their own software.
    >>
    >> Then, I see I am not the only clown with this error...
    >>
    >> http://www.tutorials-win.com/MediaPlayer/Library-wont-256358/
    >>
    >> I hate the wmp 11 folder management.

    > I had to revert to an OS partition image pre-WMP 11 as it really messed with
    > my ability to play media files. (XP Pro.) Simply uninstalling it and
    > reverting to the previous version didn't do the job, neither did Windows
    > restore. The only way to be able to play DivX/xvid files was to delete the
    > OS partition and re-create it from an image.
    >
    > WMP 11 is an abomination that will never get HDD space on any of my
    > computers again.
    >
    > Simply my opinion of course, based on experience.

    On another (slightly related maybe..) note, my WMP10 has started playing
    my vids upside down!
    Don't know why, or care particularly, as I usually use VLC or Winamp
    (which still work perfectly).
    dilberts_left_nut, Jan 31, 2008
  5. In article
    <>, Sir To
    You did write:

    > I hate the wmp 11 folder management.

    Say one thing, do another...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 31, 2008
  6. On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 12:13:22 -0800, Sir To You wrote:

    > C:\users\jed\pictures, contains pictures, but, the folder is set to
    > IGNORE!!!! Microsoft, what does IGNORE MEAN? Does it mean , include?
    > AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!
    >
    > This pisses me off, don't MS use their own software.

    But of course you *still* willingly choose to be locked in to Micro$oft's
    software - don't you.

    --
    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer

    Franklin D Roosevelt: "We have always known that heedless self-interest
    was bad morals; we know now that it is bad economics."
    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Jan 31, 2008
  7. Sir To You

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Sir To You <> wrote in news:c97480c0-546c-489a-941a-
    :

    > I hate the wmp 11 folder management.

    I use Media Monkey.
    The alternatives to WMP are better and they are free.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Jan 31, 2008
  8. Sir To You

    Sir To You Guest

    On Jan 31, 9:05 pm, "Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)"
    <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 12:13:22 -0800, Sir To You wrote:
    > > C:\users\jed\pictures, contains pictures, but, the folder is set to
    > > IGNORE!!!! Microsoft, what does IGNORE MEAN? Does it mean , include?
    > > AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!

    > > This pisses me off, don't MS use their own software.

    > But of course you *still* willingly choose to be locked in to Micro$oft's
    > software - don't you.
    >
    > --
    > Smoking Causes Lung Cancer
    >
    > Franklin D Roosevelt: "We have always known that heedless self-interest
    > was bad morals; we know now that it is bad economics."

    i use this to share folders to my xbox 360. not sure if there are too
    many other options. maybe i will investigate.

    the point is, that why don't ms sort this shit out? there are so many
    damn annoying probs that would be so easy to fix in just a few hours.
    Given microsoft own about 1 million progammers surely one of them
    could be assigned to fixing annoyances .
    Sir To You, Jan 31, 2008
  9. Sir To You

    Sir To You Guest

    On Jan 31, 6:30 pm, dilberts_left_nut <not@home> wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > Somewhere on teh intarweb "Sir To You" typed:
    > >> WMP player 11 monitored folders don't work. I don't get it.

    > >> I set my c:\users documents to be ignored. It is impossible to ignore
    > >> the 'ripped' folder which i assume is another bug.

    > >> Then , I clear the entire library. Later on , I check the library,
    > >> and...

    > >>http://tinyurl.com/2f48we

    > >> C:\users\jed\pictures, contains pictures, but, the folder is set to
    > >> IGNORE!!!! Microsoft, what does IGNORE MEAN? Does it mean , include?
    > >> AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!

    > >> This pisses me off, don't MS use their own software.

    > >> Then, I see I am not the only clown with this error...

    > >>http://www.tutorials-win.com/MediaPlayer/Library-wont-256358/

    > >> I hate the wmp 11 folder management.

    > > I had to revert to an OS partition image pre-WMP 11 as it really messed with
    > > my ability to play media files. (XP Pro.) Simply uninstalling it and
    > > reverting to the previous version didn't do the job, neither did Windows
    > > restore. The only way to be able to play DivX/xvid files was to delete the
    > > OS partition and re-create it from an image.

    > > WMP 11 is an abomination that will never get HDD space on any of my
    > > computers again.

    > > Simply my opinion of course, based on experience.

    > On another (slightly related maybe..) note, my WMP10 has started playing
    > my vids upside down!
    > Don't know why, or care particularly, as I usually use VLC or Winamp
    > (which still work perfectly).- Hide quoted text -

    i previously used vlc, but, The KMPlayer is much better than vlc.
    Plays more formats (including that telecom flv ha ha it is great),
    better f/forward/rewind control.
    Sir To You, Jan 31, 2008
  10. On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 03:49:30 -0800, Sir To You wrote:

    >> But of course you *still* willingly choose to be locked in to
    >> Micro$oft's software - don't you.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Smoking Causes Lung Cancer
    >>
    >> Franklin D Roosevelt: "We have always known that heedless self-interest
    >> was bad morals; we know now that it is bad economics."

    > i use this to share folders to my xbox 360. not sure if there are too
    > many other options. maybe i will investigate.
    >
    > the point is, that why don't ms sort this shit out? there are so many
    > damn annoying probs that would be so easy to fix in just a few hours.
    > Given microsoft own about 1 million progammers surely one of them could
    > be assigned to fixing annoyances .

    They _could_, but they don't want to. It is good enough for them.

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Jan 31, 2008
  11. In article
    <>, Sir To
    You did write:

    > the point is, that why don't ms sort this shit out? there are so many
    > damn annoying probs that would be so easy to fix in just a few hours.
    > Given microsoft own about 1 million progammers surely one of them
    > could be assigned to fixing annoyances .

    No revenue in it. They'd rather sell you the new version.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 2, 2008
  12. Sir To You

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-01-31, Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC) <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 12:13:22 -0800, Sir To You wrote:
    >
    >> C:\users\jed\pictures, contains pictures, but, the folder is set to
    >> IGNORE!!!! Microsoft, what does IGNORE MEAN? Does it mean , include?
    >> AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!
    >>
    >> This pisses me off, don't MS use their own software.

    > But of course you *still* willingly choose to be locked in to Micro$oft's
    > software - don't you.

    A human trait, which allows the powers that be to control the masses.
    Gordon, Feb 2, 2008
  13. Sir To You

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-01-31, Sir To You <> wrote:

    [snip]

    > i use this to share folders to my xbox 360. not sure if there are too
    > many other options. maybe i will investigate.
    >
    > the point is, that why don't ms sort this shit out?

    Simple, people keep buying their products in large, profit making numbers.

    > there are so many
    > damn annoying probs that would be so easy to fix in just a few hours.
    > Given microsoft own about 1 million progammers surely one of them
    > could be assigned to fixing annoyances .

    That would cost money. So while people stay using MS products why bother. MS
    is a company, it is there to make $$ not keep annoyances down.

    Some day, the masses will understand and *do* something about it. Have you
    Gordon, Feb 2, 2008
  14. Sir To You

    Sir To You Guest

    On Feb 2, 9:10 pm, Gordon <> wrote:
    > On 2008-01-31, Sir To You <> wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > > i use this to share folders to my xbox 360.  not sure if there are too
    > > many other options. maybe i will investigate.

    > > the point is, that why don't ms sort this shit out?

    > Simple, people keep buying their products in large, profit making numbers.
    >
    > > there are so many
    > > damn annoying probs that would be so easy to fix in just a few hours.
    > > Given microsoft own about 1 million progammers surely one of them
    > > could be assigned to fixing annoyances .

    > That would cost money. So while people stay using MS products why bother. MS
    > is a company, it is there to make $$ not keep annoyances down.
    >
    > Some day, the masses will understand and *do* something about it. Have you

    Please recommend an alternative product?
    Sir To You, Feb 4, 2008
  15. On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 11:27:08 -0800, Sir To You wrote:

    >> Some day, the masses will understand and *do* something about it. Have
    >> you

    > Please recommend an alternative product?

    mPlayer, Xine, Kaffeine, Amarok. There are others, but those are the ones
    that I have installed.

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Feb 5, 2008
  16. Sir To You

    Sir To You Guest

    On Feb 6, 12:25 am, "Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)"
    <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 11:27:08 -0800, Sir To You wrote:
    > >> Some day, the masses will understand and *do* something about it. Have
    > >> you

    > > Please recommend an alternative product?

    > mPlayer, Xine, Kaffeine, Amarok. There are others, but those are the ones
    > that I have installed.
    >
    > --
    > Smoking Causes Lung Cancer
    >
    > Franklin D Roosevelt: "We have always known that heedless self-interest
    > was bad morals; we know now that it is bad economics."

    Then, do those work with xbox media extender? That would be excellent
    that I can use other software.
    Sir To You, Feb 5, 2008
  17. On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 13:28:01 -0800, Sir To You wrote:

    > Then, do those work with xbox media extender? That would be excellent
    > that I can use other software.

    Dunno about using that M$-butchered PC. You may need to revise what
    system you've got on it.

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Feb 5, 2008
  18. In article
    <>, Sir To
    You did write:

    > On Feb 6, 12:25 am, "Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)"
    >
    >> --
    >> Smoking Causes Lung Cancer

    Is it too much to ask that you switch to a sensible newsreader that doesn't
    include posters' sigs in followups?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 5, 2008
  19. On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 12:24:34 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > Is it too much to ask that you switch to a sensible newsreader that
    > doesn't include posters' sigs in followups?

    In this case, yes it is.

    To do that you need a brain, and commonsense - which we all know is not
    all that common despite its name, and consideration of others.

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Feb 6, 2008
  20. Sir To You

    Sir To You Guest

    On Feb 6, 12:24 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>, Sir To
    > You did write:
    >
    > > On Feb 6, 12:25 am, "Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)"

    > >> --
    > >> Smoking Causes Lung Cancer

    > Is it too much to ask that you switch to a sensible newsreader that doesn't
    > include posters' sigs in followups?

    Yes. So, go away.
    Sir To You, Feb 13, 2008