    in control panel, nothing happens, though everything else in there seems to
    be OK. Same thing in MSCONFIG; all the settings under the view tab are
    accessible except multimedia .....click it & nothing happens. Help?
    John McCallie, Dec 10, 2003

  2. John McCallie

    °Mike° Guest

    And *is* it in use by another device? Also, what has MSCONFIG
    got to do with the multimedia control panel?

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 01:00:54 GMT, in
    <6fuBb.489153$Tr4.1334349@attbi_s03>
    John McCallie scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 10, 2003

  3. No, it's not in use by another program. I do have most audio files
    associated with winamp, but I've tried it by closing winamp and then opening
    WMP and opening it through that program. I've also tried using the shift
    key, right click and "open with" function.
    When I couldn't access the multimedia in control panel I went to an online
    knowledge base that suggested the multimedia under the view tab in MSCONFIG.
    It's there alright, but just like in control panel, nothing happens when I
    click on it.

    John McCallie, Dec 10, 2003
  4. John McCallie

    °Mike° Guest

    There is NO view tab in MSCONFIG. I think you may be confusing
    the 'Tools' tab in System Information (MSINFO32).

    What happens if you type the following (EXACTLY) into Start / Run?

    rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL mmsys.cpl,,0

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 01:37:44 GMT, in
    <INuBb.293612$Dw6.981064@attbi_s02>
    John McCallie scrawled:

    >No, it's not in use by another program. I do have most audio
    >files associated with winamp, but I've tried it by closing winamp
    >and then opening WMP and opening it through that program.
    >I've also tried using the shift key, right click and "open with"
    >function. When I couldn't access the multimedia in control panel
    >I went to an online knowledge base that suggested the multimedia
    >under the view tab in MSCONFIG. It's there alright, but just like
    >in control panel, nothing happens when I click on it.
    >
    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> And *is* it in use by another device? Also, what has MSCONFIG
    >> got to do with the multimedia control panel?

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 10, 2003
  5. You're right, it isn't a tab, it's one of those choices along the top,
    whatever they're called. So, I cut and pasted what you sent into the run
    box, and when I hit OK, it just goes away, the whole box, and nothing
    apparently happens.
    Since then, I tried fooling around with the sound card software, clicked on
    "ctzapdev.exe", the computer restarted, said it found new hardware, couldn't
    find the driver and then I had no sound at all.
    I reinstalled the Creative software and have sound in winamp, system sounds,
    etc., but I'm still back where I was when this dialogue started.

    John McCallie, Dec 10, 2003
  6. John McCallie

    °Mike° Guest

    Oh, you're a "fiddler"? If you got nothing by typing the
    command I gave, then the Multimedia Control panel
    is either not installed, or is corrupt. I suggest starting
    by doing some basic maintenance:

    Make sure you scandisk your drive with a full surface
    scan.

    Next, check for viruses/malware. Use *at least* two
    on-line virus scanners:
    --------------------------
    http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/ [See **]

    ** Caveat:
    http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/bugtraq/2003-07/0240.html

    Install, update and use *all* of the following:
    --------------------------------
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/
    SpyBot S&D guide

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Spyware Blaster

    HijackThis
    http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

    CWS (CoolWebSearch)

    Once that is done, and your system is clean, extract the
    multimedia control panel from your installation CD.
    Start / Run / sfc
    'Extract one file .....' Name the file mmsys.cpl and press
    'Start'. Enter the path to your CD in 'Restore from', and
    for 'Save file in', browse to C:\Windows\System, then
    press OK.

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 03:12:38 GMT, in
    <FawBb.486358$HS4.3736900@attbi_s01>
    John McCallie scrawled:

    °Mike°, Dec 10, 2003
  7. Mike,
    Thanks. I've already done the basic maintenance stuff in the past few
    days, but I'll follow your suggestions and get started on the rest of it.
    In the meanwhile, I'll try to resist the impulse to "fiddle". Thanks again,
    John

    John McCallie, Dec 10, 2003
  8. John McCallie

    °Mike° Guest

    Ok, and good luck.

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 04:26:01 GMT, in
    <tfxBb.350590$275.1153688@attbi_s53>
    John McCallie scrawled:

    °Mike°, Dec 10, 2003
  9. John McCallie

    Belch Guest

    You might try re-installing WMP, perhaps a different version.

    Belch
    Non-smokers are better lovers.

    -----

    Belch, Dec 10, 2003
  10. Mike,
    I followed your instructions, got rid of the spyware, the viruses, the
    adware, etc., ran disk clnp & scandisc (no defrag yet, cause that takes
    hours on this machine).
    When I went to restore the mmsys.cpl, the first time I just entered the
    drive letter, and it didn't work. Then I went back & entered the win98
    directory, and it said it was restored, but when I opened control panel,
    both the MM & the sounds icons were just gone. I tried it again, and it
    said the file wasn't found, check the source directory.
    I don't know how to do that. I tried the find files & folders, and it
    finds the mmsys.cpl in the C:\windows\system directory, but I can't find it
    on the win98 upgrade CD nor on the Compaq Restore disc. What am I missing
    here?

    John McCallie, Dec 10, 2003
  11. John McCallie

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 22:59:28 GMT, in
    <kzNBb.358390$275.1167805@attbi_s53>
    John McCallie scrawled:

    >Mike,
    > I followed your instructions,

    No, you didn't.

    <snip>
    >When I went to restore the mmsys.cpl, the first time I just entered the
    >drive letter, and it didn't work.

    That's because you didn't follow my instructions!

    >Then I went back & entered the win98 directory,

    I said... "for 'Save file in', browse to C:\Windows\System"

    >and it said it was restored, but when I opened control panel,
    >both the MM & the sounds icons were just gone. I tried it again, and it
    >said the file wasn't found, check the source directory.
    > I don't know how to do that.

    You don't know how to follow instructions.

    >I tried the find files & folders, and it finds the mmsys.cpl
    >n the C:\windows\system directory,

    When you ran SCANDISK, did you scandisk with a *full
    surface scan"? If not, DO SO.

    >but I can't find it on the win98 upgrade CD nor on the Compaq
    >restore disc. What am I missing here?

    So you only have upgrade and restore disks? Sigh!
    Do you have the full Win98 .cab files on your hard drive?

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 10, 2003
  12. Mike,
    I only have the upgrade disc but I have the code that unrolls the whole
    98 install. I looked for the .cab files earlier and didn't find them. A
    page in the MS knowledge base said they'd be in C:\Windows, but I didn't see
    them. I tried find files & folders, for.cab & *.*.cab with no luck. Re:
    the sfc thing, I did browse & enter C:\Windows\system for the "save file in"
    part. It was the "restore from" that I was confused about. However, it did
    put the mmsys.cpl in the system folder (there's 2 of them in there now).
    They just won't open with control panel.
    Re: surface scan: right again, it looked like it was going to take upwards
    of 6 hours so I mucked it. Last time I tried, best recollection is that it
    never did complete. I'll try it again as soon as I hear back from you, but
    then I assume that will preclude my doing anything else on this for the
    duration of the evening. Thanks, John

    John McCallie, Dec 11, 2003
  13. John McCallie

    °Mike° Guest

    You must run scandisk with a full surface scan, to be sure
    there is not a physical fault with the hard drive that could
    be causing, at least some of, your problems.

    Also, how can there be two mmsys.cpl files in one
    directory? They can't both be named the same - if
    they are, there is something very wrong with your
    file system.

    On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 01:37:30 GMT, in
    <uTPBb.359470$ao4.1203941@attbi_s51>
    John McCallie scrawled: