Windows Media Player - Download Media Info From Internet is Greyed Out

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alan, Feb 22, 2006.

  1. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Hi All,

    On our machines running WinXP Pro - SP2 (WMP 10) all our users who are
    not administrators have the option to obtain media information from
    the
    internet greyed out:

    WMP10 - Tools - Options - Library
    Automatic media information updates for files
    Retrieve additional information from the internet

    This is turned off, and greyed out.

    Does anyone know if there is a group policy setting that stops users
    from turning that on, and if it is turned on, is that an issue?

    I am thinking that the only downside is that it generates traffic
    getting the album name, artist, and track names, but that would be a
    very small amount of traffic I think.

    Thanks!

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb
    Alan, Feb 22, 2006

  2. Alan

    Rob J Guest

    In article <3hRKf.151860$>,
    says...

    > Hi All,
    >
    > On our machines running WinXP Pro - SP2 (WMP 10) all our users who are
    > not administrators have the option to obtain media information from
    > the
    > internet greyed out:
    >
    > WMP10 - Tools - Options - Library
    > Automatic media information updates for files
    > Retrieve additional information from the internet
    >
    > This is turned off, and greyed out.
    >
    > Does anyone know if there is a group policy setting that stops users
    > from turning that on, and if it is turned on, is that an issue?
    >
    > I am thinking that the only downside is that it generates traffic
    > getting the album name, artist, and track names, but that would be a
    > very small amount of traffic I think.

    Are you using Active Directory or NT4 style policies?

    The latter certainly offers many settings for WMP. I don't have much
    experience of AD so I couldn't say.
    Rob J, Feb 24, 2006

  3. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    > In article <3hRKf.151860$>,
    >
    > says...
    >>
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> On our machines running WinXP Pro - SP2 (WMP 10) all our users who
    >> are
    >> not administrators have the option to obtain media information from
    >> the
    >> internet greyed out:
    >>
    >> WMP10 - Tools - Options - Library
    >> Automatic media information updates for files
    >> Retrieve additional information from the internet
    >>
    >> This is turned off, and greyed out.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know if there is a group policy setting that stops
    >> users
    >> from turning that on, and if it is turned on, is that an issue?
    >>
    >> I am thinking that the only downside is that it generates traffic
    >> getting the album name, artist, and track names, but that would be
    >> very small amount of traffic I think.

    > Are you using Active Directory or NT4 style policies?
    >
    > The latter certainly offers many settings for WMP. I don't have much
    > experience of AD so I couldn't say.

    Hi Rob,

    AD.

    I actually found the setting under Group Policies - windows comonents
    / windows media player. It had been set to disallow the media info to
    be pulled from the net.

    Alan, Feb 27, 2006
  4. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Specifically, for posterity and those that may find this by way of a
    search, it is under:

    Group Policy anagement - Your Forest - Domain.Local - Domain - Users -
    User Group - User Group
    User Configuration - Admin Templates - Windows Components - Windows
    Media Player - Prevent Music File Media Information Retrieval

    Obvoiusly your AD tree may differ.

    HTH,

    Alan, Feb 27, 2006