Windows Media Player copying on XP Home.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Phil C., Oct 7, 2003.

  1. Phil C.

    Phil C. Guest

    Windows Media Player seems to be about as awkward and unhelpful as we
    might expect. I only want to copy the occasional audio CD and burn it
    on to a blank CD, nothing fancy. WMP did this successfully a couple of
    times but suddenly, when I got to the stage of pressing the "Copy to
    CD or Device" button, started giving an error message -

    "Windows media player does not detect any removable media in your
    portable device. Insert the media into the device or check the
    connection..."

    The "Help" seems useless. I've checked that the computer can detect
    the blank CD in the drive and that it is blank. I've restarted the
    computer. Everything else seems to be working normally.

    I never have used or connected any external audio device. The Devices
    tab under Tools shows (and refreshes to) the CD Drive E and Removable
    Disk D. I can't find any way of specifying that I want the CD drive.
    Apologies if I'm missing something onvious.

    Also, can anyone recommend a robust, simple idiot-proof freeware
    download to copy and burn audio CDs?

    Thanks
    --
    Phil C.