    that's not happening anymore, I may just switch completely to Winamp -
    unless they're allowing digital rights tracking as well.

    I would appreciate any suggestions....thanks in advance!
    Marvin Milquetoast, Feb 27, 2004

  2. Marvin Milquetoast

    Harrison Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:00:15 GMT, Marvin Milquetoast <> wrote:

    >I've been noticing something odd lately. Whenever I play a music file
    >using Windows Media Player 9, I see about a dozen connections opening up
    >in my TCPView(which is program that acts as kind of real-time netstat).
    >
    >I've heard that Windows Media Player "calls home" if there's some kind
    >of digital rights encoding in a given file, but I've never actually
    >witnessed it before.
    >
    >Is there anything I can do within Windows Media Player to keep this from
    >happening? I've considered using Winamp Player, but one thing I don't
    >like about that software is that whenever I installed it in the past, I
    >would end up with a "Winamp Agent" showing up on boot in msconfig. If
    >that's not happening anymore, I may just switch completely to Winamp -
    >unless they're allowing digital rights tracking as well.
    >
    >I would appreciate any suggestions....thanks in advance!

    Tools - Options - Privacy
    Harrison, Feb 27, 2004

  3. Marvin Milquetoast

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Marvin Milquetoast said:

    > I've been noticing something odd lately. Whenever I play a music file
    > using Windows Media Player 9, I see about a dozen connections opening up
    > in my TCPView(which is program that acts as kind of real-time netstat).
    >
    > I've heard that Windows Media Player "calls home" if there's some kind
    > of digital rights encoding in a given file, but I've never actually
    > witnessed it before.
    >
    > Is there anything I can do within Windows Media Player to keep this from
    > happening? I've considered using Winamp Player, but one thing I don't
    > like about that software is that whenever I installed it in the past, I
    > would end up with a "Winamp Agent" showing up on boot in msconfig. If
    > that's not happening anymore, I may just switch completely to Winamp -
    > unless they're allowing digital rights tracking as well.
    >
    > I would appreciate any suggestions....thanks in advance!

    1. Deny access via your firewall.
    2. Remove WMP.
    3. Install IrfanView
    Brian H¹©, Feb 27, 2004
  4. Marvin Milquetoast

    trout Guest

    Marvin Milquetoast wrote:

    > I've been noticing something odd lately. Whenever I play a music file
    > using Windows Media Player 9, I see about a dozen connections opening
    > up in my TCPView(which is program that acts as kind of real-time
    > netstat).
    >
    > I've heard that Windows Media Player "calls home" if there's some kind
    > of digital rights encoding in a given file, but I've never actually
    > witnessed it before.
    >
    > Is there anything I can do within Windows Media Player to keep this
    > from happening? I've considered using Winamp Player, but one thing I
    > don't like about that software is that whenever I installed it in the
    > past, I would end up with a "Winamp Agent" showing up on boot in
    > msconfig. If that's not happening anymore, I may just switch
    > completely to Winamp - unless they're allowing digital rights
    > tracking as well.
    >
    > I would appreciate any suggestions....thanks in advance!

    Yes, dump WMP, by all means. That thing sniffs a connection, and
    it's as yappy as a gossipy neighbour.
    Winamp is just fine, but I'd recommend an older version. I use a
    pared-down 2.91, and it works great. Look around here:
    http://www.winampheaven.net/newlook/oldversions2.htm
    for one that suits you.
    Like any program of that type, though, you just have to watch it
    like a hawk during installation, and then get in and climb around in the
    Options.
    You can make sure that Winamp Agent is not enabled, and that it
    doesn't go grabbing file types that you don't want it to use.
    I'd also have a firewall configuration that required any media
    program to ask permission to go out.
    --
    "Just watch what you're doing."
    trout, Feb 28, 2004
  5. Marvin Milquetoast

    Kenny Guest

    If you're using XP and value your privacy use XP AntiSpy, it will stop WMP
    phoning home and much more..
    http://www.xp-antispy.org/

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Feb 28, 2004
  6. Marvin Milquetoast

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:00:15 GMT, Marvin Milquetoast <> wrote:

    >I've been noticing something odd lately. Whenever I play a music file
    >using Windows Media Player 9, I see about a dozen connections opening up
    >in my TCPView(which is program that acts as kind of real-time netstat).
    >
    >I've heard that Windows Media Player "calls home" if there's some kind
    >of digital rights encoding in a given file, but I've never actually
    >witnessed it before.
    >
    >Is there anything I can do within Windows Media Player to keep this from
    >happening? I've considered using Winamp Player, but one thing I don't
    >like about that software is that whenever I installed it in the past, I
    >would end up with a "Winamp Agent" showing up on boot in msconfig. If
    >that's not happening anymore, I may just switch completely to Winamp -
    >unless they're allowing digital rights tracking as well.
    >
    >I would appreciate any suggestions....thanks in advance!

    Firewall.

    -Barry
    ========
    Barry OGrady, Feb 29, 2004