    question. So my question is can you turn the subs off using windows
    media player or get them to play using something like Divx?

    , Jul 12, 2006

  2. Here goes a subtitles class.
    Subtitles can be embedded in the video file or be in a separate text file.
    1st option
    If the subtitle is embedded in the video file, there is no way to remove it
    during playback.
    2nd option
    If the subtitle is on a separate file it should have the same name like the
    video file but a different extension, like "srt" or "dub"
    Rename the subtitle to something else (change the extension to whatever you
    like) and you will have no subtitles during playback
    3rd option
    As you have installed many codecs it is quite possible that you have ffdshow.
    Disable subtitles in its video configurations and it will no longer provide
    the subtitling services to the movies.
    Hope this helps.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jul 12, 2006

  3. Aaron Kelley Guest

    MKV files often have the subtitles as a seperate stream in the file. I
    don't know what you installed to play them. If you installed the Matroska
    Pack (which I believe is the "official" solution), you get an icon in the
    system tray during playback that you can right-click to get options,
    including turning off the subtitles.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Jul 12, 2006
  4. Good post, Aaron!
    I didn't know that particular feature of the mkv's
    Thought they were like regular avi's.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jul 12, 2006
  5. Guest

    thx for answering, so simple im embarrased i asked oh well

    , Jul 13, 2006
  6. Aaron Kelley Guest

    Thanks.

    I'm quite fond of the MKV format. As far as I can tell, AVI files typically
    have one video and one audio stream. MKV files allow for multiple video and
    audio streams, as well as subtitle streams. You can only have one stream of
    each type "active" at once, but you can switch at any time by right-clicking
    the system tray icon. So, this makes it a good format for things like
    videos with audio tracks in different languages.

    MKVToolNix is a free utility (or set of utilities?) that you can use to
    build MKVs from a number of other formats, and you can also use it to do
    things like choose the default stream of each type.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Jul 14, 2006

    =?Utf-8?B?a2hhaWRhbmdfMTQ3MEBob3RtYWlsLmNvbQ==?=, Jul 15, 2006