Windows Media Player 9

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?QmlsbDY0?=, Sep 12, 2005.

  1. FYI:

    Windows Media Player 9 works fine in 32-bit mode under WoW64. WMP10 runs
    under the same environment, so I thought I would give WMP9 a try.

    Use WMP9 for Windows XP (pulled from downloads now?) as your install file
    source...

    Howto:
    * Disable System File Checker & Purge the Cache
    * Copy the WMP9 .dlls from the installer archive into your system32
    * Overwrite Program Files (x86) / Windows Media Player with the WMP9 .exes &
    basic dlls (copy from a 32-bit machine if you don't know which files -
    mplayer.exe and wmplayer.exe should be good enough)
    * Optional - run setup_wm: you need to be really persistent here... try
    right-clicking and installing the WMP9 .inf s to get the needed registry keys
    into place; this will just get the WMP9 icons and associations set.

    Tada, working 32-bit WMP9 which works with all plugins + mini-mode and
    whatever else you normally use. You can re-run the file associations from
    Tools->Options->File Types if you want.

    Maybe offer a 64-bit WMP9? Or not...

    - Bill

    =?Utf-8?B?QmlsbDY0?=, Sep 12, 2005

  2. Why?
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Sep 12, 2005

  3. WMP10 sucks (RAM that is). Its music store seems to be a kludge and the
    overall interface has gone to pot from 9. WMP9 can use all the same codecs,
    play DRM protected files, and use the same plugins.

    x64 WMP10 issues:

    http://msmvps.com/chrisl/archive/2005/05/03/45556.aspx

    "Mini Mode (Taskbar Controls) are not functional in Windows XP Professional
    x64 Edition."

    =?Utf-8?B?QmlsbDY0?=, Sep 12, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?QmlsbDY0?=

    Colin Nowell Guest

    Why on earth would you want to do that?? WMP10 blows the socks off WMP9 in
    LOTS of ways...

    Weird....

    Colin Nowell, Sep 12, 2005
  5. WMP 10 is clean and simple to use compared to clunkiness of 9, the only time
    10 requires more resources is when you are using the media guide or
    visualizations like Bliss.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Sep 12, 2005
  6. I absolutely agree, I would be very pleased to heave #10 out my Windows.
    Useless.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 15, 2005