Windows Media Player 11 Vista Ultimate x64 DVD will not play

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?Y2hlZXNl?=, Aug 23, 2007.

  1. From what I understand, Vista Ultimate 64 bit is supposed to have the codec
    to play a DVD. It doesn't work. When I try to play a copywrited movie DVD,
    the FBI warning sign pops up and a list of the chapters pop up in the side
    window. But when it's supposed to get to the menu, the following pops up:

    "Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with
    digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try
    installing an updated driver for your video card."

    No movie DVD has ever played before in WMP 11. I can play a Princeton
    Review DVD from my LSAT study book but no movie DVDs play. I downloaded a
    free version of DVD X Player 4.1 and it works just fine. I have two
    different DVD players in my system and both have the results as I described.

    Here's my system:
    Intel Core 2 Duo 6600
    4 Gigs of RAM
    Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R/S2 motherboard
    Windows Ultimate x64

    I'm a minimalist and don't like excess applications running so I prefer to
    stick with one player. I've checked out different websites and made a few
    codec downloads to no avail. Unfortunately, it doesn't even play DVDs. Any
    help?

    =?Utf-8?B?Y2hlZXNl?=, Aug 23, 2007

  2. I run both x32 and x64 vista and DVDs play no probs in WMP11. In my x64
    version i have installed "vista codec pack". Try downloading this it may help.

    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multim...deo-Codecs/Advanced-Vista-Codec-Package.shtml

    From what i understand WMP11 should be able able to play DVDs "as is" so
    maybe theres a file missing/corrupt?

    =?Utf-8?B?cGhhdDI4dnI2?=, Aug 24, 2007

  3. Yeah, I even took it two steps further and it didn't work. I downloaded the
    codec pack and that didn't work. I even wiped my hard drive and re-installed
    the OS. It never played DVDs even after the clean install. I flashed my
    BIOS, got the latest drivers for every piece of hardware and still nothing.
    I get the same message:

    "Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with
    digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try
    installing an updated driver for your video card."

    I get the same FBI warning at the beginning (teasing me that it's playing
    but it's really not) and then the above quote pops up. I'm really starting
    to hate Vista x64. Of the half dozen computers I've built, I've never had
    problems like this ever. It's very frustrating. I reinstalled DVD X player
    and it works fine.

    I also tried this... I played a DVD with X player then I popped up WMP 11
    to play that same DVD. WMP tried to play it, but there was massive
    distortion with mostly a pixelized green picture. You could hear a lot of
    distortion. DVD X Player was playing normally as this was happening.

    I think it's pathetic that Windows Media PLAYER doesn't play DVDs. Any
    other suggestions? Thanks.

    Chase

    =?Utf-8?B?Y2hlZXNl?=, Aug 25, 2007
  4. Have you tried updating your DVD drives firmware? Try another dvd player?

    =?Utf-8?B?cGhhdDI4dnI2?=, Aug 26, 2007
  5. Are you outputting to a monitor or TV?
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    http://www.coribright.com/windows

    Cari \(MS-MVP\), Aug 26, 2007
  6. I'm outputting to a Dell 15" Ultrasharp Monitor via the analog connection.
    The DVD plays on DVD X as well as other players but not on WMP 11.

    Also I have two different DVD drives that I tested it on. They both work
    with other players but not with WMP 11.

    There is no firmware available for both drives. I have:

    SAMSUNG 16X DVD±R DVD Burner With 5X DVD-RAM Write and LightScribe Black
    ATA/ATAPI Model SHS162LBEBN

    LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model LH-20A1L-05

    Any help would be appreciated. I want to buy several things like a TV
    tuner, Microsoft WMC Remote and other media products but I can't do anything
    until I get WMP 11 to work. Thanks again.

    Chase

    =?Utf-8?B?Y2hlZXNl?=, Aug 27, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Y2hlZXNl?=

    Graystar Guest

    Could be he doesn't have the right codex for the media he is attempting to
    play.
    I had a similar problem I solved by d/ling
    DivX player, and
    K-Lite Codec Pack

    No problems since.

    Graystar, Sep 1, 2007
  8. =?Utf-8?B?Y2hlZXNl?=

    Clayton Guest

    Phat28vr6,
    Is this version of 4.4.9 Vista Codecs work with Vista 64 Bit?

    Clayton, Sep 2, 2007
  9. =?Utf-8?B?Y2hlZXNl?=

    Clayton Guest

    Try installing PowerDVD or WinDVD and see what happens

    Clayton, Sep 2, 2007
  10. Hi,
    ı had the same problem in Premium. First of all everythings was fine when i
    clean install.
    All dvd's working either with wmp or Mce. A week later all of a sudden
    Original dvd' not working and has an error message like below..
    "digital copy protection problem between dvd drive decoder and video card".
    I thought that its because of roxio Media creator 10 Suite's Cineplayer
    pack. Than i uninstalled it , reinstall all the latest drivers of Radeon
    2600Xt , dvd drive etc but no way.

    Then i reinstall vista from the beginning. Cheers!! Everythings fine. All of
    a sudden (without installing anything about codecs dvd player software etc.)
    Now I had the same problem again.
    Is this because theof the Windows Updating itsellf??Please Help

    =?Utf-8?B?Q3VuZXl0?=, Oct 8, 2007