Windows Media Player 10 is out & downloadable

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nathan Mercer, Sep 2, 2004.

  1. Nathan Mercer, Sep 2, 2004

  2. Nathan Mercer

    steve Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5888913/
    >
    > Read about it at Microsoft here
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/
    >
    > Download from
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/download

    download.aspx

    > There's also a lot of new HD content downloadable from
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/content_provider/film

    contentshowcase.aspx
    > too
    >
    > Cheers
    > Nathan

    Do you still own your PC after installing it? Or will the last vestige of
    multimedia control have passed to Microsoft?

    :)
    steve, Sep 2, 2004

  3. Nathan Mercer

    Evil Bastard Guest

    steve wrote:
    > Do you still own your PC after installing it? Or will the last vestige of
    > multimedia control have passed to Microsoft?

    While suckers continue to exist in the population, Micro$haft will never
    starve.

    I built/installed MPlayer yesterday - replete with a zillion codecs for
    all the proprietary lo$e-dow$ media formats.

    What's 'Windows Media Player' anyway?

    --
    Cheers
    EB

    Evil Bastard, Sep 3, 2004
  4. Nathan Mercer

    Karen Parker Guest

    On 2 Sep 2004 06:41:16 -0700, (Nathan Mercer) wrote:

    >http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5888913/
    >
    >Read about it at Microsoft here
    >http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/
    >
    >Download from
    >http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/download/download.aspx
    >
    >There's also a lot of new HD content downloadable from
    >http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/content_provider/film/contentshowcase.aspx
    >too
    >
    >Cheers
    >Nathan

    Well from the Reviews its not worth dnloading..

    Can't share files between PC.

    The is NZ not the US, we do not wish to have these stupid DRM laws here.
    Karen Parker, Sep 3, 2004
  5. Nathan Mercer

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 09:15:27 +1200, steve <> wrote:

    >Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5888913/
    >>
    >> Read about it at Microsoft here
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/
    >>
    >> Download from
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/download

    >download.aspx
    >>
    >> There's also a lot of new HD content downloadable from
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/content_provider/film

    >contentshowcase.aspx
    >> too
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Nathan
    >>

    >Do you still own your PC after installing it? Or will the last vestige of
    >multimedia control have passed to Microsoft?
    >
    >:)

    Yes go read the reviews, not liked at all.
    Karen Parker, Sep 3, 2004
  6. Nathan Mercer

    Max Burke Guest

    > Karen Parker scribbled:

    >> Do you still own your PC after installing it? Or will the last
    >> vestige of multimedia control have passed to Microsoft?

    > Yes go read the reviews, not liked at all.

    I think *I'LL* decide if *I* like it or not.

    Downloading it now... ;-)

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Sep 3, 2004
  7. Hi there,

    Karen wrote:
    > On 2 Sep 2004 06:41:16 -0700, (Nathan Mercer) wrote:
    >

    >>http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5888913/
    >>
    >>Read about it at Microsoft here
    >>http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/
    >>
    >>Download from
    >>http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/download/download.aspx
    >>
    >>There's also a lot of new HD content downloadable from
    >>http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/content_provider/film/contentshowcase.aspx

    > Well from the Reviews its not worth dnloading..
    >
    > Can't share files between PC.

    A big minus I'd think, for many folks...

    > The is NZ not the US, we do not wish to have these stupid DRM laws here.

    Hey Roger, install a decent Linux media player(s), with latest codecs
    and you'll be able to watch/hear/feel/smell/touch *MOST* media formats
    without any of the gestapo bullshit... :)

    Just because its got DRM encryption doesn't mean its not able to be
    played...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Canterbury Horse Taxis. http://www.horsetaxis.co.nz/

    "...so what really would the response be to 5000 people with guns
    storming the Beehive to demand a less over-regulated NZ?..."
    Chris Wilkinson, Sep 3, 2004
  8. Martin Ramsch, Sep 3, 2004
  9. Max Burke wrote:
    >>> Do you still own your PC after installing it? Or will the last
    >>> vestige of multimedia control have passed to Microsoft?

    >> Yes go read the reviews, not liked at all.

    > I think *I'LL* decide if *I* like it or not.

    how dare you ignore Roger's advice.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 3, 2004
  10. Nathan Mercer

    theseus Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> Yes go read the reviews, not liked at all.

    >> I think *I'LL* decide if *I* like it or not.

    > how dare you ignore Roger's advice.

    Oh
    Another bumfight coming up.
    theseus, Sep 3, 2004
  11. Nathan Mercer

    Max Burke Guest

    > Dave - Dave.net.nz scribbled:

    >>> Yes go read the reviews, not liked at all.

    >> I think *I'LL* decide if *I* like it or not.

    > how dare you ignore Roger's advice.

    He doesn't use *nix, so it's safe to ignore his advice.... ;-)

    WMP 10 so far....

    Good:
    Plays DVDS well; Very easy to RIP CD's, tried that for the first time ripped
    an entire CD to MP3 files, and downloaded it to my Palm Zire 31. It Plays
    all test CD's and DVD's I've tried without problems.

    Not Good:
    No longer has the radio Tuner.
    To listen to Internet radio now you either have to go to an online shop
    and/or purchase access, or go to the radio tuner web page. But if you have
    XP SP2 installed then it's default security settings will pop up an info bar
    alert saying that web pages are prohibited (by default) from running ActiveX
    controls installed on your computer.

    If You allow it to run these ActiveX controls (by disabling SP2 default
    security settings in IE) you may end up getting lots of script error
    messages for each radio station you try to access, and/or a stack overflow
    at line 15 error message. Either way the radio stations page does not
    display correctly for me.

    I could be 'critical' and ask how come MS releases a service pack that
    protects computers from web pages wanting to run locally installed ActiveX
    controls, then releases a major update to their media player that requires
    users to DISABLE that protection....

    But I'll leave that to the MS Bashers'.... ;-)

    Not tried yet:

    Online third party video, streaming video, etc...
    Third party Internet Radio websites.

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Sep 4, 2004
  12. Nathan Mercer

    Richard Guest

    Karen Parker wrote:

    > Well from the Reviews its not worth dnloading..
    >
    > Can't share files between PC.

    Whats it do that stops you sharing files between PCs? Can it not play mpgs off a
    network share at all?
    Richard, Sep 4, 2004
  13. Nathan Mercer

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 12:47:47 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >Karen Parker wrote:
    >
    >> Well from the Reviews its not worth dnloading..
    >>
    >> Can't share files between PC.

    >Whats it do that stops you sharing files between PCs? Can it not play mpgs off a
    >network share at all?

    Have a Read

    Full Review

    http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/wmp10.asp

    Where Windows Media Player 10 falls short, just snippet below.

    "But iTunes also offers some basic features that WMP 10, tragically, lacks.
    First, it's compatible with the iPod, the world's best-selling portable audio
    player, a feat Microsoft can't seem to manage. Second, iTunes lets you easily
    share music from PC to PC (or from Mac to Mac or Mac to PC), a feature that
    WMP, inexplicably, still lacks. Meanwhile, Microsoft has expended (arguably
    wasted) years of effort and millions of dollars to ensure that you can share
    music from your WMP 10 with every conceivable device on the planet, regardless
    of the business sense. But it has somehow managed to ignore the most obvious
    music sharing experience, that of PC to PC sharing, and given how many homes
    now have two or more PCs, that missing functionality is all the more
    incomprehensible."
    Karen Parker, Sep 4, 2004
  14. Nathan Mercer

    Richard Guest

    Karen Parker wrote:

    > "But iTunes also offers some basic features that WMP 10, tragically, lacks.
    > First, it's compatible with the iPod, the world's best-selling portable audio
    > player, a feat Microsoft can't seem to manage. Second, iTunes lets you easily
    > share music from PC to PC (or from Mac to Mac or Mac to PC), a feature that
    > WMP, inexplicably, still lacks. Meanwhile, Microsoft has expended (arguably
    > wasted) years of effort and millions of dollars to ensure that you can share
    > music from your WMP 10 with every conceivable device on the planet, regardless
    > of the business sense. But it has somehow managed to ignore the most obvious
    > music sharing experience, that of PC to PC sharing, and given how many homes
    > now have two or more PCs, that missing functionality is all the more
    > incomprehensible."

    just installed it onto my XP pc, plays MP3s off the other computers fine.

    Still no flac+cue support, and I doubt there ever will be so it wont play a lot
    of my collection. I'm gonna stick with foobar2000.
    Richard, Sep 4, 2004
  15. Nathan Mercer

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 17:14:13 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >Karen Parker wrote:
    >
    >> "But iTunes also offers some basic features that WMP 10, tragically, lacks.
    >> First, it's compatible with the iPod, the world's best-selling portable audio
    >> player, a feat Microsoft can't seem to manage. Second, iTunes lets you easily
    >> share music from PC to PC (or from Mac to Mac or Mac to PC), a feature that
    >> WMP, inexplicably, still lacks. Meanwhile, Microsoft has expended (arguably
    >> wasted) years of effort and millions of dollars to ensure that you can share
    >> music from your WMP 10 with every conceivable device on the planet, regardless
    >> of the business sense. But it has somehow managed to ignore the most obvious
    >> music sharing experience, that of PC to PC sharing, and given how many homes
    >> now have two or more PCs, that missing functionality is all the more
    >> incomprehensible."

    >just installed it onto my XP pc, plays MP3s off the other computers fine.
    >
    >Still no flac+cue support, and I doubt there ever will be so it wont play a lot
    >of my collection. I'm gonna stick with foobar2000.

    Roger should have quoted a bit more of that article.

    But iTunes also offers some basic features that WMP 10, tragically, lacks.
    First, it's compatible with the iPod, the world's best-selling portable audio
    player, a feat Microsoft can't seem to manage. Second, iTunes lets you easily
    share music from PC to PC (or from Mac to Mac or Mac to PC), a feature that WMP,
    inexplicably, still lacks. Meanwhile, Microsoft has expended (arguably wasted)
    years of effort and millions of dollars to ensure that you can share music from
    your WMP 10 with every conceivable device on the planet, regardless of the
    business sense. But it has somehow managed to ignore the most obvious music
    sharing experience, that of PC to PC sharing, and given how many homes now have
    two or more PCs, that missing functionality is all the more incomprehensible.

    Microsoft will argue--wrongly, I think--that there are ways to share music from
    PC to PC. These methods, however, require customers to understand home
    networking concepts that are typically more advanced than one might expect from
    an average user. With iTunes, sharing music just works. If I'm not mistaken, "it
    just works" is one of Microsoft's favorite terms. They might start practicing
    what they preach.
    Craig Shore, Sep 4, 2004
  16. Nathan Mercer

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 19:59:30 +1200, Craig Shore <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 17:14:13 +1200, Richard <> wrote:
    >
    >>Karen Parker wrote:
    >>
    >>> "But iTunes also offers some basic features that WMP 10, tragically, lacks.
    >>> First, it's compatible with the iPod, the world's best-selling portable audio
    >>> player, a feat Microsoft can't seem to manage. Second, iTunes lets you easily
    >>> share music from PC to PC (or from Mac to Mac or Mac to PC), a feature that
    >>> WMP, inexplicably, still lacks. Meanwhile, Microsoft has expended (arguably
    >>> wasted) years of effort and millions of dollars to ensure that you can share
    >>> music from your WMP 10 with every conceivable device on the planet, regardless
    >>> of the business sense. But it has somehow managed to ignore the most obvious
    >>> music sharing experience, that of PC to PC sharing, and given how many homes
    >>> now have two or more PCs, that missing functionality is all the more
    >>> incomprehensible."

    >>just installed it onto my XP pc, plays MP3s off the other computers fine.
    >>
    >>Still no flac+cue support, and I doubt there ever will be so it wont play a lot
    >>of my collection. I'm gonna stick with foobar2000.

    >Roger should have quoted a bit more of that article.
    >
    >But iTunes also offers some basic features that WMP 10, tragically, lacks.
    >First, it's compatible with the iPod, the world's best-selling portable audio
    >player, a feat Microsoft can't seem to manage. Second, iTunes lets you easily
    >share music from PC to PC (or from Mac to Mac or Mac to PC), a feature that WMP,
    >inexplicably, still lacks. Meanwhile, Microsoft has expended (arguably wasted)
    >years of effort and millions of dollars to ensure that you can share music from
    >your WMP 10 with every conceivable device on the planet, regardless of the
    >business sense. But it has somehow managed to ignore the most obvious music
    >sharing experience, that of PC to PC sharing, and given how many homes now have
    >two or more PCs, that missing functionality is all the more incomprehensible.
    >
    >Microsoft will argue--wrongly, I think--that there are ways to share music from
    >PC to PC. These methods, however, require customers to understand home
    >networking concepts that are typically more advanced than one might expect from
    >an average user. With iTunes, sharing music just works. If I'm not mistaken, "it
    >just works" is one of Microsoft's favorite terms. They might start practicing
    >what they preach.

    Its Crap can't even Play a DTS Audio CD..

    Gee even my Creative MediaSouce Player can do that, and I did not need to
    dnload any Codec..

    May be I have to dnload a DTS Codec for this very limited MS Media Player..
    Karen Parker, Sep 4, 2004
  17. Nathan Mercer

    Karen Parker Guest

    Windows Media Player 10 no DTS Playback..

    Well my Sound Card Supports it and the Creative Media Player supports it, but
    not Windows Media Player 10

    So why no DTS Playback..?
    Karen Parker, Sep 4, 2004
  18. Craig Shore wrote:
    > Second, iTunes lets you easily
    > share music from PC to PC (or from Mac to Mac or Mac to PC), a feature that WMP,
    > inexplicably, still lacks.

    eh? I use media player and it doesnt stop me doing anything.

    > But it has somehow managed to ignore the most obvious music
    > sharing experience, that of PC to PC sharing, and given how many homes now have
    > two or more PCs, that missing functionality is all the more incomprehensible.

    again, how does it(media player) stop anyone from doing that?
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 4, 2004
  19. Nathan Mercer

    Tony Guest

    "Karen Parker" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 19:59:30 +1200, Craig Shore
    > <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > Its Crap can't even Play a DTS Audio CD..
    >
    > Gee even my Creative MediaSouce Player can do that, and I did not need to
    > dnload any Codec..
    >
    > May be I have to dnload a DTS Codec for this very limited MS Media
    > Player..

    Was your Creative MediaSource Player a freebie like Windows Media Player 10
    is? and I think "very limited" is a gross exaggeration, different than
    others, can't do some things that the others can, doesn't have some
    features, all more accurate than "very limited".
    Tony, Sep 4, 2004
  20. Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >> The is NZ not the US, we do not wish to have these stupid DRM laws here.

    > Hey Roger, install a decent Linux media player(s), with latest codecs
    > and you'll be able to watch/hear/feel/smell/touch *MOST* media formats
    > without any of the gestapo bullshit... :)

    Why bother? Windows Media Player can have all the codecs loaded into it
    to view media files. WMP10 will even let you rip to MP3 as well as WMA
    (including VBR and loseless) without copy protection too

    I don't see how installing a decently Linux media player is going to
    make any difference here!

    > Just because its got DRM encryption doesn't mean its not able to be
    > played...

    Really? Whats the point of DRM then?
    If you know of a crack against Windows Media DRM, I'm very interested to
    know more about it...

    Cheers
    Nathan
    Nathan Mercer, Sep 5, 2004