    Edition let me watch DVD's in Windows 64 Bit Edition ?

    --
    ....scribble...scribble...scribble...
    =?Utf-8?B?dW13aGF0?=, Dec 16, 2006

  2. ....an Encoder is an encoder and a Decoder is a Decoder , so I suspect the
    media encoder 9 series will not play back a DVD on a 64 bit computer . I'm
    sitting here with a 64 bit editon of uninstalled Windows waiting for a 64 bit
    DVD decoder and hoping...

    ***Have a Very Merry Christmas***

    =?Utf-8?B?dW13aGF0?=, Dec 16, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?dW13aGF0?=

    Jane C Guest

    A 32 bit decoder should work. Media Player in XP x64 is 32 bit.

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)

    Jane C, Dec 16, 2006
  4. Sure, but the OP's question is about the encoder. He's thinking its for
    playback.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 16, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?dW13aGF0?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 17:20:00 -0800, umwhat <>
    wrote:

    >I'm not a professional computer person , I'm more a computer hobbiest . I
    >felt a dash inadequate as I browsed through the information about the encoder
    >. So can someone tell me , does the Windows Media Encoder 9 Series x64
    >Edition let me watch DVD's in Windows 64 Bit Edition ?

    An encoder is meant to convert videofiles to that specific format, so in
    this case WMV and WMA-files. You need a MPEG2-decoder. They come with DVD
    playback software, like PowerDVD or WinDVD, but I think there some of the
    free codec-packs, which offer an MPEG2-decoder, so you can play back your
    DVD's on WMP but don't have any menus.

    jud
    Jud Hendrix, Dec 16, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?dW13aGF0?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Assuming that you are talking about a CSS movie you will get no codecs that
    will help. As Jane C has pointed out there is no need for 64-bit to play a
    DVD so there has been no rush to make a native 64-bit player or associated
    codecs.

    John Barnes, Dec 16, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?dW13aGF0?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 04:42:11 -0800, "John Barnes" <>
    wrote:

    >Assuming that you are talking about a CSS movie you will get no codecs that
    >will help. As Jane C has pointed out there is no need for 64-bit to play a
    >DVD so there has been no rush to make a native 64-bit player or associated
    >codecs.

    Well, I tend to disagree with that. x64 is a very nice O.S. for multimedia
    development, and that is where DVD's come into play :) It would be
    ridiculous to swap OS's to just watch DVD's which you just burned for your
    client to show off on your laptop (or something like that).
    Anyway, it all has to do with licensing, that Microsoft decided to withdraw
    MPEG2 decoders from Windows. It would add a $2.50 royaltie. Maybe at the
    time they didn't expect many people to playback DVD's on their computers?
    (why does that remind me of their internet debacle :)) ).

    jud
    Jud Hendrix, Dec 16, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?dW13aGF0?=

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    If you want a free app to play DVDs in Windows, just Google up Media Player
    Classic.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Dec 16, 2006
  9. That would be http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Media_Player_Classic.htm
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Dec 18, 2006
  10. Thankyou for your replies, sry for the late response to your answers I've
    had to move house.
    I forgot I couldn't play DVD's in 64 bit Edition, I think I had XP Home
    and 64 bit Edition dual booting just so I could watch DVD's with Power DVD5,
    I think it was. Now I have Power DVD6 and I'm not sure what will happen in 64
    bit edition. I'll go look this up at Cyberlink.
    I would like just 64 bit edition installed if I can have DVD playback. I
    now may also have the option to use an older external DVD player, it's a
    Shinco DVD850 and I'm not sure about that yet.
    I'm a home person aiming at some sort of occupational pastime and still
    watch a DVD on my computer living at home helping out a 76 year old.

    thankyou...

    =?Utf-8?B?dW13aGF0?=, Feb 16, 2007