Windows Media Center Edition for business?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by wewa, Nov 10, 2005.

  1. wewa

    wewa Guest

    Bwahahahahaha!

    I know some of you will be bothered that I'm asking a MCE question here, but
    I value your opinions more than the mediacenter.hometheatrepc NG. Plus that
    NG has sparse activity.

    k, here goes.

    I have been setting up basic off the shelf PCs for folks, from retail, and
    so they always come with XP Home Edition.
    No big deal these past 5+ years.

    Now, I find that all the damn off the shelf PCs at retail come with MCE and
    I am a MCE virgin.
    There is no 180 day trial download, and I haven't bought one, so I dont know
    how similar or not they are to standard XP editions. So if you have
    experience with MCE, it would be appreciated.

    And then one day, I would assume MCE will be 64-bit and we all will be
    exposed to it (dig how i slip in 64-bit, so that my post is relevant :).

    For example, can i buy a MCE based PC, and disable the media menu buttons
    startup and whatever else, and get the normal start menu and standard stuff?
    So that the user can install MS Office, Photoshop, Quickbooks, or whatever
    typical business apps that they would.

    Thanks much!

    Bwahahahahaha!

    wewa, Nov 10, 2005

  2. wewa

    Mercury Guest

    Its XP Pro on first boot until it asks (apparently) if you want to join a
    domain. Thereafter, if you have joined a domain it is still XP Pro. If you
    did not join a domain you may as well regard it as XP Home as its a hack to
    getit into a domain after that for some reason.

    The MCE part is an application that just sits on top of XP - just another
    application. Some like it, some don't. Close MCE and you have XP & can
    install any XP app.

    I suggest you do some research around & if your budget will allow look for a
    Hauppauge PVR-150MCE (special MCE edition version of their hardware) PCI
    card. I got one the other day and they work a treat complete with IR remote
    that integrates with Sky Remotes (ETC cable TV and so on) to change channel
    for you - the remote is a sort of learning remote too (at the MCE end).
    People are selling here OEM copies of MCE + a PVR 150 + remote etc in a
    package for a good price - there are other MCE certified cards out - the
    card *must* be MCE certified.

    This really is off topic - go to the micorosoft.public.windows.mediacenter
    news group it has activity & google around there are a lot of others.

    Of all apps this may be the fastest track to heavy consumer 64bit usage due
    to the size, nature, and intense processing that video files demand... but
    thats still OT :)

    Try it, it is great & get on the OEM builder program.

    Mercury, Nov 10, 2005