    I'm trying a way to get past that frozen screen, or go to a diagnositcs or
    something else. We are at a dead end with the frozen screen..

    Any ideas???

    SilverR1_04, Jul 7, 2004

  2. SilverR1_04

    colin Guest

    SilverR1_04 <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My buddy's laptap will bring up the Windows ME screen upon startup, but

    then
    > freezes there, nothing else will happen. He said he thought he may have

    had
    > a virus.
    >
    > I'm trying a way to get past that frozen screen, or go to a diagnositcs or
    > something else. We are at a dead end with the frozen screen..
    >
    > Any ideas???

    Safe-Mode (press F8 at boot-up)

    colin, Jul 7, 2004

  3. SilverR1_04

    Chet Guest

    Has he created a recovery disk? If not, borrow one from somebody else and
    boot from the floppy.

    I know that some machines don't have floppy but a machine old enough for ME
    (like mine) probably has a bootable floppy.

    Chet, Jul 7, 2004
  4. SilverR1_04

    HonestJohn Guest

    > My buddy's laptap will bring up the Windows ME screen upon

    startup, but then
    > freezes there, nothing else will happen. He said he thought he

    may have had
    > a virus.
    >
    > I'm trying a way to get past that frozen screen, or go to a

    diagnositcs or
    > something else. We are at a dead end with the frozen screen..
    >
    > Any ideas???

    If the machine freezes before Windows begins loading then the
    fault is most likely to be concerned with the BIOS program or the
    hardware (motherboard, memory, disc drives etc.).

    HonestJohn, Jul 7, 2004
  5. SilverR1_04

    Plato Guest

    SilverR1_04 wrote:

    > My buddy's laptap will bring up the Windows ME screen upon startup, but then
    > freezes there, nothing else will happen. He said he thought he may have had
    > a virus.
    >
    > I'm trying a way to get past that frozen screen, or go to a diagnositcs or
    > something else. We are at a dead end with the frozen screen..

    Try safe mode. Use msconfig to disable background apps to possibly find
    one that just wont load up. Could be other things as well but it cant
    hurt to try the simple stuff first.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jul 8, 2004
  6. Plato wrote:
    > SilverR1_04 wrote:
    >>
    >> My buddy's laptap will bring up the Windows ME screen upon startup,
    >> but then freezes there, nothing else will happen. He said he thought
    >> he may have had a virus.
    >>
    >> I'm trying a way to get past that frozen screen, or go to a
    >> diagnositcs or something else. We are at a dead end with the frozen
    >> screen..

    > Try ...

    plagiarising something.

    Ed Jablonowski, Jul 8, 2004
  7. SilverR1_04

    Wizard Guest

    Give it a rest, dimwit!

    Wizard, Jul 8, 2004
  8. Wizard wrote:
    > Give it a rest, dimwit!

    I'll use that, but I won't credit you for it.

    Ed Jablonowski, Jul 8, 2004
  9. HonestJohn wrote:

    > Oh my, we are a little Oscar Wilde, aren't we?

    Are you a nurse? Or is that a royal we, you mincing queen?

    HonestJohn, the cursed, looping bailiff, Jul 12, 2004
  10. SilverR1_04

    ProfGene Guest

    Hit f8 on boot and got into the safe mode where you can restore to an
    earlier time when it last worked.
    "HonestJohn, the cursed, looping bailiff"
    <> wrote in message
    s...

    ProfGene, Jul 15, 2004