    protection error. could some one give me a clue ?
    thanks
    sunny

    =?Utf-8?B?c3VuZmFtaWx5?=, Dec 25, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?c3VuZmFtaWx5?=

    Dave Guest

    "sunfamily" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I am trying to network 2 pcs on a wireless network. one running windows me
    > and the host running windows xp. i am using a cardbus/PCI adapter network
    > card- IEEE 802.11g. I am able to install the card sucessfully on the XP
    > machine but when i try to install the card on the me machine i get a
    > windows
    > protection error. could some one give me a clue ?
    > thanks
    > sunny

    does the card say it should work on ME?

    Dave, Dec 25, 2006

  3. Hi
    Make sure that you have drivers that are compatible with WindowsME
    Before you attempt again read this, http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ghost
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 25, 2006
  4. Windows does not identify the card in PnP. At the same time it identifies a
    modem that is installed in the same PCI slot. The driver CD has folders for
    me/xp/and Win 2000. I tried the same card on the other XP machine and it
    goes well.
    Thanks
    sunny

    =?Utf-8?B?c3VuZmFtaWx5?=, Dec 26, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?c3VuZmFtaWx5?=

    tbk Guest

    try to disable ani-virus on me pc and try installing the card.

    first install driver and then insert your card it should solve ur prob

    tbk, Dec 26, 2006
  6. Hi
    Having Wireless problems with Win98 and Win ME is quite common. Wireless
    came to market later in the game, and some manufacturers did not work hard
    to make it compatible with Win98 WinME.
    Try another PCI slot, if it does not work you have two options.
    Upgrade to Windows 2000, or WinXP if the hardware can take it.
    Use a USB Dongle instead.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 26, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?c3VuZmFtaWx5?=

    Dave Guest

    the error is relatively self explanatory, windows sets up a default gateway
    of 192.168.0.1 that is then used by other machines on the network to route
    through the me machine to get out to the internet. so what me is telling
    you is that it can't use that address because something else, probably your
    router, is already using it.

    the normal solution is to change the internet side of the network to use
    something other than 192.168.0.* as its address range. how you do this
    depends on your router and how you configure your xp machine. what kind of
    internet connection do you have that you are trying to share? sometimes it
    is easier to get a wireless router than to use ics, especially if you have
    some kind of broadband. you have to remember that with ics the 'host'
    machine has to be on or the clients don't get any access.

    Dave, Jan 3, 2007