    fearful of losing mp3 and personal picture files if he has to re-format.

    Thanks so much...

    Gerry
    Gerry Wolf, Oct 25, 2004

  2. Gerry Wolf

    Nottoman Guest

    I would try a Win98 Startup disk and run scandisk on the drive.

    "Gerry Wolf" <> wrote in message
    > Interesting, yet familiar sounding problem. Friend calls asking if I have

    > ME disk, which I don't. Upon asking what the problem was, he stated that
    > after installing a new printer onto his Compac computer(particulars

    unknown)
    > he rebooted and got the Error stating that explorer.exe was damaged and to
    > re-install windows. I seem to remember there was a way around that since

    he

    Nottoman, Oct 25, 2004

  3. Gerry Wolf

    philo Guest

    "Nottoman" <> wrote in message
    >I would try a Win98 Startup disk and run scandisk on the drive.

    and you can get a win98 (or ME) bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com

    btw: if you cannot fix the problem
    you do not have to format the drive to reinstall windows

    one option is to reinstall windows in a different folder...
    if it works ...you will have to reinstall your apps...but all the data will
    still be there (and the original windows folder can be deleted)
    philo, Oct 25, 2004