  1. Bob B

    Bob B Guest

    Switch off the reminder. BB

    --
    This is the place for spooky halloween supplies www.thelaughingstock.co.uk

    Bob B, Oct 21, 2004

  2. Bob B

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Oct 21, 2004

  3. > ­I installed Windws ME a while back.
    > But I have a problem trying to defrag my system.
    > I went into Safe mode,and it still tells me that another program is
    > running.And defrag has started 10 times.Does anybody know what to do?
    > Thanks already.B.
    > ­­

    First, and most important, fix your clock. The time or the timezone is
    wrong. Second, WinME is not better than Win98 or Win2k. Recommend Upgrading
    to Win98 or 2k or even XP, they're all better than ME and don't have piddly
    problems with the defragmenter.
    one red eye ©, Oct 21, 2004
  4. The Windows defrag AFAIK always has problems with things that are
    running in the background , and it doesn't do a particularly good job
    anyway.
    I suggest using something like Diskeeper ( there is a free version
    called DiskeeperLite which I use) - this will run in the background
    and is not affected by other programs. It's also a lot quicker.
    Vale of Belvoir drinker, Oct 21, 2004
  5. Bob B

    philo Guest

    , WinME is not better than Win98 or Win2k. Recommend Upgrading
    > to Win98 or 2k or even XP, they're all better than ME and don't have
    > piddly
    > problems with the defragmenter.

    that's not true...
    the one thing about ME that's any good is that defrag is slightly improved
    over win98's
    however you still need to hit control-alt-delete and shut down all
    apps except explorer ...and also turn off screen saver

    or else defrag in safe mode
    philo, Oct 21, 2004
  6. Bob B

    Mikey Guest

    Hi;
    Try setting your swap file to "NONE" before defragmenting.
    Reset to "System controled" afterwards.
    Seems stupid but works most of the time!

    ben veldt, Oct 21, 2004
  8. Bob B

    Barry Guest

    Hello Ben, hit control-alt-delete and shut down all

    Barry, Oct 21, 2004
  9. Bob B

    Dr. Tom Guest

    ctrl alt del. shut down all programs, including systray. Only leave
    explorer. go into scheduled tasks, disable "tune up" if it is enabled, that
    is probably the pest. Shut off screen saver.

    Dr. Tom, Oct 22, 2004
  10. Bob B

    Barry OGrady Guest

    Barry OGrady, Oct 22, 2004