    kept saying it couldn't detect the adapter. After messing with that for a
    week i'm ready to try a different brand. Anyone have luck with another
    type???
    skyman, Oct 1, 2008

  2. skyman

    Big_Al Guest

    skyman wrote:
    > Well who can recommend a wirless adapter for my old computer with WIN
    > ME. I tried the belkin usb adapter but couldn't get the drivers to work,
    > it just kept saying it couldn't detect the adapter. After messing with
    > that for a week i'm ready to try a different brand. Anyone have luck
    > with another type???

    Win ME is going to be your problem. But I like Netgear and Linksys.
    Can't specify an adapter, but I'd make sure the model supports ME.
    Big_Al, Oct 1, 2008

  3. skyman

    Pavel A. Guest

    skyman wrote:
    > Well who can recommend a wirless adapter for my old computer with WIN
    > ME. I tried the belkin usb adapter but couldn't get the drivers to work,
    > it just kept saying it couldn't detect the adapter. After messing with
    > that for a week i'm ready to try a different brand. Anyone have luck
    > with another type???

    Try Ethernet-over-powerline adapters.
    They are driverless, so work perfectly with any unsupported OS.

    --PA
    Pavel A., Oct 2, 2008
  4. Hi
    From a Network perspective you are better off downgrading to Win98se, or
    upgrading to Win2000.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Oct 2, 2008
  5. skyman

    Pavel A. Guest

    Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    > Hi
    > From a Network perspective you are better off downgrading to Win98se,
    > or upgrading to Win2000.

    .... or to Linux

    --pa
    Pavel A., Oct 2, 2008
  6. skyman

    Jake Guest

    skyman wrote:
    > Well who can recommend a wirless adapter for my old computer with WIN
    > ME. I tried the belkin usb adapter but couldn't get the drivers to
    > work, it just kept saying it couldn't detect the adapter. After
    > messing with that for a week i'm ready to try a different brand.
    > Anyone have luck with another type???

    I still have several D-Link DWL-500 PCI Wireless Adapters that I used with
    my old ME System. The D-Link router died long ago but I upgraded to Linksys
    that worked fine.

    Jake
    Jake, Oct 2, 2008
  7. skyman

    Joan Archer Guest

    In my WinME machine I have a Wireless LAN PCI Card by ADDON, the other name
    on the box is Texas Instruments. That's been installed and working with no
    problems for the last four years, the same make of card is installed in my
    XP Home SP3 machine as well. The XP used to be my main machine connected via
    Ethernet cable to my router, which is also an ADDON, but when I got a Vista
    machine I used the Ethernet cable for that and put the wireless card into
    the XP machine.
    All three machines are happily working still <g>

    --
    Joan Archer
    http://www.freewebs.com/crossstitcher

    Joan Archer, Oct 2, 2008