    where the folder is with the attachments within?

    TIA

    Ron
    Big Ron, Mar 5, 2008

  2. Big Ron

    Big Ron Guest

    Forgot to mention - I can receive emails, but not send them, (except to
    newsgroups!) - new laptop running Vista. Could the problems be linked?

    Big Ron, Mar 5, 2008

  3. Big Ron

    Alang Guest

    05/03/2008 Big Ron wrote:

    > Forgot to mention - I can receive emails, but not send them,
    > (except to newsgroups!) - new laptop running Vista. Could the
    > problems be linked?

    Yes.
    Try an old laptop with XP on it. Should work.

    Alang, Mar 5, 2008
  4. Big Ron

    Big Ron Guest

    "Alang" <> wrote in message
    > 05/03/2008 Big Ron wrote:
    >
    >> Forgot to mention - I can receive emails, but not send them,
    >> (except to newsgroups!) - new laptop running Vista. Could the
    >> problems be linked?

    > Yes.
    > Try an old laptop with XP on it. Should work.

    There's always a cretin knocking about...
    Big Ron, Mar 5, 2008
  5. Big Ron

    Alang Guest

    05/03/2008 Big Ron wrote:

    > "Alang" <> wrote in message
    > > 05/03/2008 Big Ron wrote:
    > >
    > > > Forgot to mention - I can receive emails, but not send them,
    > > > (except to newsgroups!) - new laptop running Vista. Could the
    > > > problems be linked?

    > > Yes.
    > > Try an old laptop with XP on it. Should work.
    > >

    > There's always a cretin knocking about...

    Who will buy a computer with vista on it.
    Lots of them apparently

    Seriously. Ditch vista and put XP on it.
    Failing that..
    http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
    Alang, Mar 5, 2008
  6. Big Ron wrote:

    > Forgot to mention - I can receive emails, but not send them, (except to
    > newsgroups!)

    This is not email.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Mar 5, 2008
  7. Big Ron

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 18:13:59 -0000, "Big Ron" <> wrote:

    >I have received several attachments to emails variously in .xls, .pdf, and
    >.doc formats.

    First question - are you expecting these attachments? Are they from
    trusted people AND something you're expecting, and not "Look at
    Brittany Spears nude tits!" e-mails?

    >Windows mail will neither let me open them or save attachments to a folder.

    No, please don't tell us what happens when you try. We like guessing.

    >Anyone know which settings I need to alter, or where the folder is with the attachments within?

    I believe the attachments are embedded. You could try searching your
    drive for the attachments to be sure though.

    >Forgot to mention - I can receive emails, but not send them, (except to
    >newsgroups!)

    Newsgroups aren't e-mails. Completely different.

    And again, no, don't tell us what the error is or anything, we (TINW)
    like guessing.

    >- new laptop running Vista.

    That's the problem there. Go 'back' to XP.

    >Could the problems be linked?

    Doubt it.
    Evan Platt, Mar 5, 2008
  8. Big Ron

    MoiMoi Guest

    In article <fqmo3p$p5q$>, says...
    > Forgot to mention - I can receive emails, but not send them, (except to
    > newsgroups!) - new laptop running Vista. Could the problems be linked?

    Probably not.
    Your SMTP server options are probably not correct.

    Posting here has nothing to do with email, this is UseNet.

    As far as the attachments, it's probably a Security option in the mail
    program, same common gotcha as in Outlook Express.

    MM
    ----------------------

    MoiMoi, Mar 5, 2008
  9. Big Ron

    Big Ron Guest

    Hi Evan - if I try to save the (expected) attachment, I get a dialogue
    saying "the command failed to execute", or, "there was an error saving one
    or more of the attachments, please check your disk space and try again". I
    have lots of disk space left. I have unchecked the option in Security "do
    not allow attachments to be opened that could be potentially a virus". But
    still can't open........

    Ron

    Big Ron, Mar 5, 2008
  10. Big Ron

    joevan Guest

    On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 20:10:08 -0000, "Big Ron" <> wrote:

    >Hi Evan - if I try to save the (expected) attachment, I get a dialogue
    >saying "the command failed to execute", or, "there was an error saving one
    >or more of the attachments, please check your disk space and try again". I
    >have lots of disk space left. I have unchecked the option in Security "do
    >not allow attachments to be opened that could be potentially a virus". But
    >still can't open........
    >
    >Ron
    >
    >"Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 18:13:59 -0000, "Big Ron" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have received several attachments to emails variously in .xls, .pdf, and
    >>>.doc formats.

    >> First question - are you expecting these attachments? Are they from
    >> trusted people AND something you're expecting, and not "Look at
    >> Brittany Spears nude tits!" e-mails?
    >>
    >>>Windows mail will neither let me open them or save attachments to a
    >>>folder.

    >> No, please don't tell us what happens when you try. We like guessing.
    >>
    >>>Anyone know which settings I need to alter, or where the folder is with
    >>>the attachments within?

    >> I believe the attachments are embedded. You could try searching your
    >> drive for the attachments to be sure though.
    >>
    >>>Forgot to mention - I can receive emails, but not send them, (except to
    >>>newsgroups!)

    >> Newsgroups aren't e-mails. Completely different.
    >>
    >> And again, no, don't tell us what the error is or anything, we (TINW)
    >> like guessing.
    >>
    >>>- new laptop running Vista.

    >> That's the problem there. Go 'back' to XP.
    >>
    >>>Could the problems be linked?

    >> Doubt it.
    >> --
    >> To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious from my e-mail address.

    My friends called me one day to help them. They had a message stuck in
    the out box that would not go. Deleted it and all was well with
    sending again. Outlook express or is it outhouse express?
    joevan, Mar 5, 2008
  11. Big Ron wrote:

    > I have received several attachments to emails variously in .xls, .pdf, and
    > .doc formats. Windows mail will neither let me open them or save
    > attachments to a folder. Anyone know which settings I need to alter, or
    > where the folder is with the attachments within?

    If you weren't expecting those attachments, especially from people you don't
    know... DON'T OPEN THEM.

    --

    Jerry McBride ()
    Jerry McBride, Mar 5, 2008
  12. Big Ron

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 18:13:59 -0000, "Big Ron" <> wrote:

    >I have received several attachments to emails variously in .xls, .pdf, and
    >.doc formats. Windows mail will neither let me open them or save
    >attachments to a folder. Anyone know which settings I need to alter, or
    >where the folder is with the attachments within?
    >
    >TIA
    >
    >Ron

    Suggest you read the help file.
    From windows mail help file.

    Why can't I view an attachment in Windows Mail?

    Windows Mail blocks certain types of file attachments that are
    commonly used to spread e-mail viruses, such as files with the
    following file name extensions: .exe, .pif, and .scr files. If Windows
    Mail blocks an attachment in an e-mail, the Information bar will
    display a message letting you know that it has done so and list the
    attachment that has been blocked.

    Although it's not recommended, you can enable access to blocked
    attachments. This should only be done by advanced users, and only with
    an up-to-date virus checker running.

    To enable access to blocked attachments
    Click to open Windows Mail.

    Click the Tools menu, and then click Options.

    Click the Security tab, clear the Do not allow attachments to be saved
    or opened that could potentially be a virus check box, and then click
    OK.

    Note
    Any open messages containing blocked attachments must be closed and
    reopened after changing this setting before you'll be allowed to save
    or open their attachments.

    See also
    Open or save an attachment in Windows Mail
    richard, Mar 6, 2008