    been the case since I bought the computer used a few years ago and it is
    getting annoying. Thanks!

    J.
    Julie P., Jun 17, 2004

  2. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:28:19 -0400, in
    <>
    Julie P. scrawled:

    >On my Windows 98SE computer, I have always gotten a message on startup that
    >says "Welcome to Windows" and asks me to log in with my password or hit
    >cancel. I always have to hit cancel, and then the startup continues. But I
    >was wondering if there is a way to deactivate this feature. This has always
    >been the case since I bought the computer used a few years ago and it is
    >getting annoying. Thanks!

    How to Prevent a Windows Logon Prompt at Startup

    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jun 17, 2004

  3. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:28:19 -0400, in
    > <>
    > Julie P. scrawled:
    >
    > >On my Windows 98SE computer, I have always gotten a message on startup

    that
    > >says "Welcome to Windows" and asks me to log in with my password or hit
    > >cancel. I always have to hit cancel, and then the startup continues. But

    > >was wondering if there is a way to deactivate this feature. This has

    always
    > >been the case since I bought the computer used a few years ago and it is
    > >getting annoying. Thanks!

    > How to Prevent a Windows Logon Prompt at Startup

    That did it! More work than I expected, but it worked. Good thing I
    remembered my password, since the link provided on that Microsoft page in
    case that was the case was broken. Again, this is something I would never
    have been able to figure out by myself. :)

    J.
    Julie P., Jun 17, 2004
  4. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 18:44:28 -0400, in
    <>
    Julie P. scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    >> How to Prevent a Windows Logon Prompt at Startup
    >>

    >That did it! More work than I expected, but it worked. Good thing I
    >remembered my password, since the link provided on that Microsoft page in
    >case that was the case was broken. Again, this is something I would never
    >have been able to figure out by myself. :)

    You're welcome.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jun 18, 2004
  5. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > > On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:28:19 -0400, in
    > > <>
    > > Julie P. scrawled:
    > >
    > > >On my Windows 98SE computer, I have always gotten a message on startup

    > that
    > > >says "Welcome to Windows" and asks me to log in with my password or hit
    > > >cancel. I always have to hit cancel, and then the startup continues.

    But
    > > >was wondering if there is a way to deactivate this feature. This has

    > always
    > > >been the case since I bought the computer used a few years ago and it

    is
    > > >getting annoying. Thanks!

    > > How to Prevent a Windows Logon Prompt at Startup
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=152104
    > >

    > That did it! More work than I expected, but it worked. Good thing I
    > remembered my password, since the link provided on that Microsoft page in
    > case that was the case was broken. Again, this is something I would never
    > have been able to figure out by myself. :)

    another side effect from doing this I learned was that you have to reenter
    all your stored newsgroup and email passwords. why, I don't know.
    Julie P., Jun 18, 2004
  6. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 02:18:29 -0400, in
    <>
    Julie P. scrawled:

    <snip>

    >another side effect from doing this I learned was that you have to reenter
    >all your stored newsgroup and email passwords. why, I don't know.

    Because you've renamed your password list file (*.pwl).

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jun 18, 2004