    messenger and accept the request then log back into my live messenger.

    Anyone know a way to make it work, or what the trouble is?

    Thank you

    Kyote, Mar 9, 2008

  2. Kyote

    Guest

    On 9 Mar, 22:48, Kyote <kyote_love_at_no_spam_hotmail_dot_com> wrote:
    > I've been happily using Remote Assistance for a long time to save me
    > time having to drive over to friends and family's houses in other
    > towns and even states. It's great.
    >
    > But for a while now I cannot use Windows Live Messenger to receive a
    > request. I have to sign into the pre-installed windows messenger to
    > accept a request for RA. I could swear that I used to be able to do
    > so. Now every time I need to help someone I have to switch to the old
    > messenger and accept the request then log back into my live messenger.
    >
    > Anyone know a way to make it work, or what the trouble is?
    >
    > Thank you

    dunno. you could try reinstalling it. You could try turning any
    software firewall off and trying it. (then turning it back on).

    But regarding the general issue. There are other options. I assume
    you are familiar with VNC. With that you have to set the port
    forwarding at the idiot's end. But there is an option to make a
    "reverse connection". So you (the techie) set the port forwarding at
    your end. They connect to you and you view them.

    PCHelpWare further shifts the technical tasks to the techie.. So that
    would be useful to set up. You just set it up once(a minor nuisance),
    and after that it works nicely.
    It can create an EXE file (the viewer). You email it to your idiot
    acquaintance(s). You run the "listening software". You tell them GO,
    and they run the file and bam, you see them.
    note- I am not sure if it shares the screen though like with VNC.. it
    may be that only you can control their screen. So you may have to ask
    them to tell you where to click.. and they tell you where to go e.g.
    "that option there" up up, down e.t.c. if you want to ask them how
    they do things! So if they are a real idiot then it may be too much
    of a nuisance. You could put something on their machine like AutoIt,
    to launch RealVNC in a reverse connection.

    Another option is a website that does the VNC job. your browserse will
    each make a remote connection to some server. It won't require either
    of you to set up any port forwarding. Such sites have been mentioned
    before. One such site is the logmein website(yes , google it). Or
    google usenet for alternative websites that do the same thing. Others
    are myivo and gotomypc.

    , Mar 11, 2008

  3. Kyote

    Kyote Guest

    Yeah, thank you James for trying to help. Yes, I know of VNC and have
    googled to not only fix my problem, but alternative ways of assisting
    those I help.

    The thing is I was mainly hoping someone in here had had the same
    trouble and found a workable solution to the issue. I'd rather find
    the solution than ignore it and move on. Something has changed,
    somewhere. I do not think it's something on my end.. Except for
    possibly updating to the most recent release of the messenger.

    Does anyone else use Windows Live Messenger and Remote Assistance? If
    so have you used it recently and had any troubles connecting?

    I will try uninstalling it, since that could potentially fix the
    problem. I hope so anyway. But I'd still love to know whats up so that
    I have an idea of what to do in the future if it happens again. I'll
    post back here with the results of uninstalling/reinstalling.

    Kyote, Mar 15, 2008
  4. Kyote

    Kyote Guest

    Ok, uninstall did NOT fix it. In fact my system is 64bit and
    apparently the newest version of live messenger will not install on a
    64bit. The .msi will and does but it took me forever (or so it seemed)
    to find the .msi to reinstall from. Also, remote assistance still does
    not work from this version. I'm thinking that this is my problem.
    Since my computer is 64bit and microsoft has stopped making it
    completely compatible with these, that thats where the issues lie.

    Ahhh well, no biggie. Since I can still use it with the built in
    messenger I guess I can now forget about trying to fix it.

    Kyote, Mar 21, 2008
  5. Kyote

    Guest

    On Mar 20, 8:06 pm, Kyote <kyote_love_at_no_spam_hotmail_dot_com>
    wrote:
    > Ok, uninstall did NOT fix it. In fact my system is 64bit and
    > apparently the newest version of live messenger will not install on a
    > 64bit. The .msi will and does but it took me forever (or so it seemed)
    > to find the .msi to reinstall from. Also, remote assistance still does
    > not work from this version. I'm thinking that this is my problem.
    > Since my computer is 64bit and microsoft has stopped making it
    > completely compatible with these, that thats where the issues lie.
    >
    > Ahhh well, no biggie. Since I can still use it with the built in
    > messenger I guess I can now forget about trying to fix it.

    Hi there! I've been searching the net looking to see if someone else
    is experiencing the same problem. Although I've never used remote
    assistance, my techie friend (I guess that makes me the 'idiot' -
    thanks James!) suggested RA but an error message said I'd have to
    upgrade, which I did, but to no avail. I just completed the
    installation of Win Messenger 5.1. Haven't tried it yet. I have to
    wait when my friend gets back on.

    , Mar 29, 2008
  6. Kyote

    Guest

    On Mar 21, 1:06 am, Kyote <kyote_love_at_no_spam_hotmail_dot_com>
    wrote:
    > Ok, uninstall did NOT fix it. In fact my system is 64bit and
    > apparently the newest version of live messenger will not install on a
    > 64bit. The .msi will and does but it took me forever (or so it seemed)
    > to find the .msi to reinstall from. Also, remote assistance still does
    > not work from this version. I'm thinking that this is my problem.
    > Since my computer is 64bit and microsoft has stopped making it
    > completely compatible with these, that thats where the issues lie.
    >
    > Ahhh well, no biggie. Since I can still use it with the built in
    > messenger I guess I can now forget about trying to fix it.

    this applies to kyote and ronf

    what was the exact error message? (it may be useful to others and
    yourself. And you can google the exact wording)

    you prob know this but you can also do remote assistance from
    start..help and support.

    as a test, try remote assistance with somebody else that uses the same
    version of MSN.
    Do you have 2 computers?
    (note- if connecting between comps on your network, know that you are
    inevitably eliminating the NAT Router from the equation)

    FYI, the MSN that comes built into win xp, is MSN 4.2

    Since you are using MSN to do remote assistance, that gives you an
    excuse to tap the expertise at the MSN specific newsgroup
    microsoft.public.msn.messenger
    and maybe microsoft.public.msn.discussion

    And if it fails in MSN but works when you use other methods to do
    remote assistance, then that is a real reason to ask in the MSN
    newsgroup (in addition to whereever else you have asked).

    , Mar 30, 2008
  7. Kyote

    thomcat7777

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    USA
    Do Yourself A Favor And Throw Away " Windows Live Messenger"...uninstall It All.. I Even Use Search To Get Rid Of All The Pieces...
    It Is A Piece Of Garbage,, When It Work's Ok...

    For Remote Assist,, Download Team Viewer ,, At Teamviewer.com ,, It's Free... It Works Great For Remote Assist...

    The Best Free Messenger Service For Voice And Video ,, Is Skype.com..

    For Sending Files ,, Use Yahoo Messenger....

    thomcat7777, Apr 18, 2009