    the same contact list and the same storage folders, but no the contact list
    was empty and there were no storage folders at all on the Windows7 machine.
    What am I doing wrong?
    Bobby Gee, Mar 15, 2010

  2. Bobby Gee

    smlunatick Guest

    On Mar 15, 9:08 pm, Bobby Gee <Bobby >
    wrote:
    > I have 2 computers that I am trying to run Windows Live Mail.  The first
    > computer is in an XP Home operating system.  Windows live works well.  The
    > second computer is a brand new laptop with Windows 7 running and Windows Live
    > does not work very well at all.  I have used the same log on and set up specs
    > for both Windows Live Mails.  ON the XP machine it automatically updated WLM
    > with all of the stuff from Outlook Express.  So when I signed on to the
    > Windows7 machine I get an entirely different WLM program.  I expected to see
    > the same contact list and the same storage folders,  but no the contact list
    > was empty and there were no storage folders at all on the Windows7 machine.
    > What am I doing wrong?

    Windows Live Mail has two methods of storing the contacts and email
    folder. If you use a Windows Live account, WLM will update your
    contacts / email folder from the WLM servers.

    If you use WLM for standard email account provided by most Internet
    service providers (ISP) you will need to copy the local folders /
    contacts between the two Windows versions / PCs.

    Also, Windows Live accounts (????@hotmail.com, ????@live.com, ????
    @msn.com) are really only supposed to be used on one system at a time.
    smlunatick, Mar 17, 2010

  3. Bobby Gee

    Peter Foldes Guest

    {crossposted to the windows.live.mail.desktop}
    --
    Peter

    Peter Foldes, Mar 18, 2010
  4. Bobby Gee

    Gleaf2 Guest

    I too have a new laptop with Windows 7 and am having all sorts of problems
    with Live Mail. Is there any way all these problems can be drawn to the
    attention of Microsoft?

    Gleaf2, Mar 19, 2010
  5. Bobby Gee

    Ildhund Guest

    "Gleaf2" <> wrote in message news:...
    > I too have a new laptop with Windows 7 and am having all sorts of problems with Live Mail. Is there any way all these problems can be drawn to the attention of Microsoft?

    There is a lot of expertise about Windows Live Mail in the newsgroup this has been crossposted to, so feel free to post here.

    The last week has seen more MS server errors than I remember seeing for many years. The best way to get MS support to look at your problems is to post in the forum at http://windowslivehelp.com, where all the first-line Windows Live support staff are on duty. Some of them at least are able to reset accounts on the Hotmail servers, if that is what's needed. This new site has also been having major outages the last couple of days, so you may have to be patient. One can't help wondering whether this is the result of a concerted hacker attack designed to coincide with Mix.
    --
    Noel
    Ildhund, Mar 19, 2010
  6. The XP PC imported the Outlook express data that was on that PC.

    The Win7 PC had nothing to import.

    If you are using a POP3 mail account you can export the data on the XP
    and import to Win7.
    How to Backup Windows Live Mail Accounts, Contacts and Messages
    http://liveunplugged.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!F92775FC46A390CA!174.entry

    Or you can use the Easy Transfer tool that comes with Win7 to move your
    WLM settings and data from XP to Win7.

    --

    Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us

    Michael Santovec, Mar 19, 2010
  7. Bobby Gee

    ...winston Guest

    Same Windows Logon or same Windows Live ID logon in Windows Live Mail.

    For the latter, only LIve ID Hotmail type accounts(hotmail.com, live.com, and msn.com) when setup as Http(not Pop3) on both
    machines will yield the same email account folders, messages. To see the same contacts on both machines...use the same Live ID to
    logon to Windows Live in WLM(not Windows)

    --
    ...winston
    ms-mvp mail

    ...winston, Mar 23, 2010